PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord being an idiot

Comments

• FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Reasonable is what it costs to replace the same locks and keys since the previous ones have now become redundant (in terms of doing what it is intended to do, protect your friends and their property). Your friends opted for a property with an expensive lock, unfortunately, that comes with a higher cost to replace. An expensive lesson to learn about being double careful not to lose keys.
  • JohnnyZee wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses.
    It looks like I am not gonna win the argument!

Ok, so if the tenant is responsible for bearing the cost, what is a "reasonable" amount? This term has been used in the contract. Btw, the tenant is happy to pay for duplicating the keys. But not for full cost of an expensive lock!

Whatever it costs to replace like for like.
  • tom9980
    tom9980 Posts: 1,990 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've helped Parliament
    You may wish to change the thread title from "Landlord being an idiot" to "Landlord doing his job"
    When using the housing forum please use the sticky threads for valuable information.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,805 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    JohnnyZee wrote: »
    Also, the keys are not identifiable and hence you cannot trace them back to the flat. So how will someone know where you live if they found the keys on the street? We are talking about busy, busy London!!

but there's no guarantee that the keys haven't been lost alongside other identifiable info (e.g. in a handbag that contains letters etc), or deliberately stolen by someone who knows the person and where they live.
  • When I lost my keys (my whole bag actually) i told my landlord. I said nothing in my bag has the address for the house on it so no way to trace them back. He was happy with that and gave me the spare key so I could get a new one cut.

If they are definitely lost and not stolen with no way to trace them back to the house I'd agree to the cost of new keys but not a whole new lock as that seems unnecessary.
  • When I lost my keys (my whole bag actually) i told my landlord. I said nothing in my bag has the address for the house on it so no way to trace them back. He was happy with that and gave me the spare key so I could get a new one cut.

If they are definitely lost and not stolen with no way to trace them back to the house I'd agree to the cost of new keys but not a whole new lock as that seems unnecessary.

What if they were dropped in the front garden or on the street in front of the house? If they are lost, chances are nobody who finds them will know what house they are for, but it can’t be guaranteed and it’s fair enough if the landlord doesn’t want to take that risk, it’s also not fair to expect the other tenant to take the risk, it might invalidate their insurance.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Landlord wants to change 1 lock, and duplicate keys for the 2 other locks (he is asking for £148 in total - wow!! He will also add another £90 if he cannot fit the lock himself).

He is saving you money by not getting a locksmith in the first place, they can cost a fortune.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I understand that it is a bit irresponsible to lose a set of keys but you cannot let the tenant bear the full cost. - why not? the loss of keys was fully due to the tenant so the cost should be fully theirs.
    I am not sure what brand the current locks are, but wouldn't it be fair for the tenants to pay only part of the cost? The lock is going to outlast the tenancy agreement.- the old locks with lost keys would have outlasted the tenancy agreement, so the LL has the right to be put back in the same position as before the loss - ie with working locks at the end of the agreement. So why should the tenant pay for the full price of a new lock (not even some deteriorated one)!- yes, it should be the cost of second hand locks, but these are fairly sturdy things so I expect the cost of a working, 2nd hand lock to be the same / close to a new one.

Tenant was 'irresponsible' in losing keys, so they must put the LL back in the same position at the tenant's cost: ie full cost of replacing locks to the same quality as before.
    Also, the keys are not identifiable and hence you cannot trace them back to the flat. So how will someone know where you live if they found the keys on the street? We are talking about busy, busy London!!

The tenant can't guarantee where / how the keys were lost, ie could have been stolen from their person, lost with other identifiable items, lost in an identifiable place (e.g. the garden, tenant's locker etc)
    Ok, so if the tenant has to bear the full cost of replacing the locks, shouldn't they at least have a say on what to replace it with? How can the landlord chose the brand, decide all the costs involved and ask for "cash" without producing any receipts? I just feel there is something not right here...

No, the brand/type etc is determined by the existing locks, not arbitrarily decided by either the tenant or LL.

I think its time to stop arguing and be more careful with keys next time!
  • tower
    tower Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Another point, say your friends have just pocketed the keys for a later date. After their tenancy has finished, they could return and steal from the new tenant.
  • Lizabeth21
    Lizabeth21 Posts: 161 Forumite
    Maybe a question should be is the tenant responsible enough to look after important property keys? - you'll be in this same position again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure