How to copy DVD to Windows 10 laptop?

My wife's bought a language book which came with a DVD of tutorials. The laptop, which runs Windows 10, won't play it, and besides, we'd like to copy it to the machine so she doesn't have to keep loading the actual disc every time she does an exercise.

What (preferably free) software do we need in order to be able to (a) play the DVD and (b) coppy it to the desktop?
A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,157
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    What do you mean it won't play it? Is it music, video, slideshow, word document, .pdf file? what happens when you put the DVD in the player? You would normally see a dialogue box asking you what you want to do?
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I can't think of a more done to death subject in this forum - Shouldn't this have been stickied long ago..?
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,461
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 4 October 2017 at 5:24PM
    Le_Kirk wrote: »
    What do you mean it won't play it? Is it music, video, slideshow, word document, .pdf file? what happens when you put the DVD in the player? You would normally see a dialogue box asking you what you want to do?

It's video, and I just checked the wife's laptop to see what actually happens. A box comes up inviting you to choose what use, and the options are something from the "App Store" or take no action. The "App Store" lists various software starting with Windows Media Player at £11-odd, then free stuff I've never heard of.

Assuming that's what we need, can anybody please recommend something that's (a) free and (b) very easy to use which will let us copy this blessed DVD to her desktop?
    pogofish wrote: »
    I can't think of a more done to death subject in this forum ..

Well if that's the case, any chance you could be helpful and post a link to the answer? :)
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • Si_Clist
    Forumite
    hans_2 wrote: »

Thank you! At least now we can play the DVD! All we need next is to be able to copy it to the laptop ...
  • hans_2
    hans_2 Posts: 420 Forumite
    Si_Clist wrote: »
    Thank you! At least now we can play the DVD! All we need next is to be able to copy it to the laptop ...

Insert dvd then

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/rip-dvd-vlc
  • Si_Clist
    Forumite
    Thank you very much indeed for posting that! I'll try that on the wife's laptop in the morning and report back ... :)
  • Si_Clist
    Forumite
    Oh poo :(

Starting with the disc in and the title page showing in VLC, I followed those instructions to the letter, then hit "Start". Disc speeded up and ran for about 20 seconds with the VLC "traffic cone" logo thingy on a plain black background and "Streaming -VLC Media Player" top left above the menu bar, then silence and nothing.

It did create a correctly-named MP4 video file in my chosen location, but it's 40 bytes. Any idea what I'm doing wrong please?
  • Pikeyp
    Pikeyp Posts: 494
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I don't know about VLC, but in the past I've used DVDShrink .. it's another option anyway!

more here ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_Shrink
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,157
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Read this article from the Guardian.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income