Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nextonal
    • By Nextonal 4th Oct 17, 1:24 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 31Thanks
    Nextonal
    Offer 250 to switch to Clydesdale, Yorkshire or B
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:24 PM
    Offer 250 to switch to Clydesdale, Yorkshire or B 4th Oct 17 at 1:24 PM
    Update: This is now live nationwide, switching to Clydesdale, Yorkshire Bank or 'B'

Hello,

First post here though I do lurk elsewhere in the forums and thought I'd post this up having bypassed this yesterday. Yorkshire Bank have recently opened a new colourful branch on New Street, Birmingham and as a result are offering a generous 250 to switch.

As the title suggests, the offer is subject to switchers who set up their account in the Birmingham branch only. Apologies if already submitted or is in the wrong forum area.

Full T&Cs here: XXX.youandb.co.uk/resources/ca5d4166-3541-4222-a983-1a00b6623b91/B+Birmingham+T%26Cs+FINAL.pdf

Note: T&Cs suggest that the offer may be withdrawn at any time so those who wish to take up the offer might want to move fast.
    Last edited by Nextonal; 24-10-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Page 58
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 25th Jan 18, 7:20 PM
    • 7,417 Posts
    • 7,980 Thanks
    eskbanker
    But the banks are greedy, corrupt and are ripping people off. Look at Barclays where the bank and 4 of their directors are being prosecuted for fraud in 2019.
    Originally posted by Mchambers
    So as things stand here in 2018 they haven't been convicted of any offence and are therefore, under common law, innocent until proved guilty?

However, while playing devil's advocate on that one, don't get me wrong, I'm not blindly defending every employee in every bank and of course there will be rogues in that industry as with any other (who should naturally be held to account and punished accordingly where applicable), but equally I don't subscribe to the unhelpful, inaccurate and lazy tabloid-style stereotype that you parrot either....

Having said that, it would seem that some ex-bank employees are also pretty unethical when it comes to scalping banks for every penny they can squeeze out of them in 'compensation' for increasingly tenuous trumped-up complaints!
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 25th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    Mchambers
    Having said that, it would seem that some ex-bank employees are also pretty unethical when it comes to scalping banks for every penny they can squeeze out of them in 'compensation' for increasingly tenuous trumped-up complaints!
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    Just like the banks giving bonuses to their staff to rip-off customers. I remember when the bank gave traffic lights for the number of PPi that they had sold to customers and it was shown to the hole team. Mmmm...do you think the team was encouraged to mis-sell PPI ?
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 25th Jan 18, 8:37 PM
    • 7,417 Posts
    • 7,980 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Just like the banks giving bonuses to their staff to rip-off customers. I remember when the bank gave traffic lights for the number of PPi that they had sold to customers and it was shown to the hole team. Mmmm...do you think the team was encouraged to mis-sell PPI ?
    I'm sure many bank staff would indeed have been incentivised on sales, just like numerous other industries still are - have you bought, rented or insured a car recently for example, and been pressured to buy add-ons that you didn't really need, by staff who are clearly motivated to oversell?

And yes, that does sometimes lead to questionable behaviour, but at least the financial regulator rightly tightened up the controls back in the early 2000s (I think), while plenty of other examples continue in other industries, as above, without them attracting the same sort of opprobrium from the tabloids, etc....
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 25th Jan 18, 9:17 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    Mchambers
    Thanks for agreeing with me.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 25th Jan 18, 11:07 PM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    soulsaver
    Nah, too busy digging...
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 26th Jan 18, 12:22 AM
    • 988 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    Mchambers
    Nah, too busy digging...
    Originally posted by soulsaver
    It is a bit of a Toyah and absolutement !
    • mary223
    • By mary223 26th Jan 18, 9:47 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mary223
    Seeing all the posts here a few weeks ago about receiving the 250/emails from B etc I decided to call B to see what was up as I hadn't received anything.

Turns out I'm an idiot and messed up the dates to make the 1000 transfers so I actually sent the 2nd 1000 a day early meaning they were both within the first 31 days. They said sorry but I'm not eligible as I didn't follow the T&Cs. Fair enough, lesson learned - make a note of all details. My mistake was I wasn't 100% sure of when the switch actually happened. I swear I had an email stating it, but couldn't find it when setting up the transfers and stupidly didn't play it safe by moving the date back a bit (as I said, I'm an idiot )

Anyway, 11 days after being told I wasn't eligible I received an email saying I'm getting the 250 and sure enough its there in my B account!

Now to switch to another account for more free cash (and follow the T&Cs this time!)
    Originally posted by isaadvice
    Wow you are so lucky. I made a similar mistake (paid the first 1000 3 days late as didnt count weekend in my 31 days ) But they refused to pay the 250
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 26th Jan 18, 10:45 AM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    soulsaver
    Wow you are so lucky. I made a similar mistake (paid the first 1000 3 days late as didnt count weekend in my 31 days ) But they refused to pay the 250
    Originally posted by mary223
    Nothing similar, I'm afraid:

There may be an argument about the wording in the terms that suggests depositing the 2nd 1k within 31 days means within 31 days of the 1st 1k deposit. Isaadvice would qualify in that interpretation.

There is no argument that within 31 days means within 38 days that I can see.
    • moneyfoolish
    • By moneyfoolish 27th Jan 18, 3:12 PM
    • 502 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    moneyfoolish
    My 2nd Direct Debit was paid on January 22nd so I just beat my cutoff of January 25th and the 250 was paid into my account on January 26th. Very efficient!
    • moneyfoolish
    • By moneyfoolish 29th Jan 18, 2:10 PM
    • 502 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    moneyfoolish
    My 2nd Direct Debit was paid on January 22nd so I just beat my cutoff of January 25th and the 250 was paid into my account on January 26th. Very efficient!
    Originally posted by moneyfoolish
    Just received an email from Yorkshire telling me they have got some great news for me and I will be getting 250 for the switched put into my account in the next 7 days!!!!
    • barnesy99
    • By barnesy99 30th Jan 18, 4:31 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    barnesy99
    Just received an email from Yorkshire telling me they have got some great news for me and I will be getting 250 for the switched put into my account in the next 7 days!!!!
    Originally posted by moneyfoolish
    Got the email today too. Checked my account and the 250 had already been deposited. Happy days!!!
    • chudleyette
    • By chudleyette 8th Feb 18, 10:44 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    chudleyette
    Anyone else been refused the 250?
    I have been told that I can't have the 250 because I did not complete the switch within 31 days. However, I do not remember seeing this advertised prominently when I went on to the site.

I did have a lot of problems making the application due to the site crashing, and there was no option to switch in 7 days (despite what the woman on the phone told me today) - all of the dates were several weeks away so I chose one not realising that the switch had to happen within 31 days. Turns out mine was 36 days later. If the 31 days had been made clear I wouldn't have chosen that date.

Really annoyed, I've put in a complaint but don't know if it will get me anywhere.
    • pmatt
    • By pmatt 8th Feb 18, 10:52 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    pmatt
    Having pocketed the 250, I've just completed the switch to NatWest for their 125 and said goodbye to B.

The NatWest switch has been a nightmare so I feel zero guilt that I'm ditching them as soon as I get the cash. I feel like I've earned the money in the time they've wasted.
    • clivep
    • By clivep 8th Feb 18, 11:15 AM
    • 328 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    clivep
    I have been told that I can't have the 250 because I did not complete the switch within 31 days. However, I do not remember seeing this advertised prominently when I went on to the site.

I did have a lot of problems making the application due to the site crashing, and there was no option to switch in 7 days (despite what the woman on the phone told me today) - all of the dates were several weeks away so I chose one not realising that the switch had to happen within 31 days. Turns out mine was 36 days later. If the 31 days had been made clear I wouldn't have chosen that date.

Really annoyed, I've put in a complaint but don't know if it will get me anywhere.
    Originally posted by chudleyette
    Qualifying criteria for the switching offer:
    3. The date which you select for the current account switch to complete must be within 31 days of your instruction to us.

So 36 days later means no bonus. However, in my experience, the switching days offered for a CASS switch usually only show 31 days from the instruction date. I would agree that it's rather unfair that YB should offer a greater period to include dates that didn't qualify for the bonus.
    • chudleyette
    • By chudleyette 8th Feb 18, 11:23 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    chudleyette
    Qualifying criteria for the switching offer:
    3. The date which you select for the current account switch to complete must be within 31 days of your instruction to us.

So 36 days later means no bonus. However, in my experience, the switching days offered for a CASS switch usually only show 31 days from the instruction date. I would agree that it's rather unfair that YB should offer a greater period to include dates that didn't qualify for the bonus.
    Originally posted by clivep

The information about the 31 days was not prominently displayed in their literature, although I have since found it attached to an email sent to me AFTER I had completed the application and chosen a switching date. I'm fairly certain none of the dates on offer were within 31 days but not sure how I could prove this.

I'm going to be switching again regardless, as I don't think much of their website or banking app!
    • SpiraliS
    • By SpiraliS 8th Feb 18, 12:07 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    SpiraliS
    I might have stayed with these guys, but the "B" account banking app is truly horrible and I don't like it one bit (plus, whoever decided a bouncing basketball for the loading screen was a cool idea..?)

Bagged my 250 now, and will be switching it to Halifax shortly for their 125 offer.
    June 2018 diary:
    Debt: 13,169.83 (all on 0% CC til Sept 2018, repaying 500 a month)
    Mortgage: 191,000 (on Repayment, 5-yr fix @ 2.39%)

Savings: 12,300 in various accounts @ between 1-5%, milking until August when will pay off CC
    • I am spartacus
    • By I am spartacus 9th Feb 18, 4:55 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    I am spartacus
    Just had my incentive paid, now switching to Natwest.
    How to people get on with opening multiply current accounts, then switching most of them? any banks known to "start throwing their toys out of the pram"?
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 9th Feb 18, 6:14 PM
    • 4,444 Posts
    • 38,865 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Just had my incentive paid, now switching to Natwest.
    How to people get on with opening multiply current accounts, then switching most of them? any banks known to "start throwing their toys out of the pram"?
    Originally posted by I am spartacus
    I don't think most people open multiple accounts and then switch them. They might open one and switch that two or three times. Many people switch an account, get thepayout and then keep that account because it has a bonus- RS, interest whatever. They generally keep one as their main account and do not switch that.
    It is prudent to only open an extra account now and again and then 'groom' it when a good switch deal comes along IMHO.
    Eventually you run out of places to switch! due to dateline t&cs
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..2319 cc+.2205mm (2.20.5) + RK 5.21= 30.64.5
    • harz99
    • By harz99 12th Feb 18, 11:15 AM
    • 2,672 Posts
    • 2,602 Thanks
    harz99
    Both accounts switched away now, so bye bye YB. I wonder how many people have gone away...
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 12th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    • 4,444 Posts
    • 38,865 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Both accounts switched away now, so bye bye YB. I wonder how many people have gone away...
    Originally posted by harz99
    quite a few I should imagine!
    Nice 'little' bonus welcome too- and not stretched out like some others...
    This is the very first time I have done one switch followed very swiftly by another. Generally there is some incentive to hang around.........
    (Or maybe we all jumped because a golden welcome from NatWest is a rare breed and timing is everything?)

Just wait now for Halifax to repeat their current deal and that's me done. Nothing left except C0-op??!! and not welcomed by FD. Was with them when dinosaurs roamed...
    Last edited by Katiehound; 12-02-2018 at 4:09 PM.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..2319 cc+.2205mm (2.20.5) + RK 5.21= 30.64.5
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,059Posts Today

8,359Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Quick #eng pre-match poll. What result do you predict?

• I agree this glitch wasn't flights for 1p it was flights for c. £200 - I think many would've expected that to be th? https://t.co/QUTnlBLPkj

• Was the BA fare glitch fair? Are you one of those let down by BA cancelling cheap flights to Tel Avivandr Dubai? H? https://t.co/PvN8Zaxbue

• Follow Martin