Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • MB69
    • By MB69 2nd Oct 17, 9:13 AM
    • 29Posts
    • 8Thanks
    Tax Advise
    • #1
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:13 AM
    Tax Advise 2nd Oct 17 at 9:13 AM

    I am wondering if anyone can provide advise or guide me where to go to get best advise:

    I have used an accountant for the past 2 years, however I think I have been paying too much for their service.

    It is for tax return for myself ( employed) and my partner ( Employed) who both pay through Payee. However as we have a property which is rented out and also I have to use my own personal car for business, I thought it would be most cost effective to get an accountant. But he has been charging us 300 per year and I think it is to much, considering I am always giving him all the details properly and all filed by months and ... and he doesn't have to do much filing himself.

    Do you think it is too much?

    Our combined earning from emplyment is 55k and the rental income is about 10k on top. i do about 20k miles per year in my car.

    SO I am thinking either do it myself next year or get someone else to do who is a bit cheaper?

    On another note,

    I work as a contractor and also have full time job, bit of moon lighting I guess ( Not necessarily at night though )

    I don't do it a lot as I wanted to set it up when the company I work for looked like to be going out of business and I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be left stranded. But now I want to set it up as a limited company properly and start to do more and hopefully give up working for someone else soon.

    My question is:

    1) If I setup my own limited company, and lease a car through the company, can I claim the cost of the car/lease from my end of year tax ?

    2) As I still will be working and classified as employed by someone else, and still have to use my own car for work, can I also claim mileage for using my own car when I do business for the company I work for?

    Thanks in advance

Page 1
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 2nd Oct 17, 9:30 AM
    • 10,232 Posts
    • 19,051 Thanks
    • #2
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:30 AM
    • #2
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:30 AM
    Re fees, I don't think 300 is too much for 2 tax returns including a rented property. It's actually maybe a little on the low side. I'd say it falls well within the average fee range, assuming your "accountant" is properly qualified.

    There've been almost yearly changes in tax law for property lettings recently, meaning you can't just "copy" what was done the year before. Some things you could have claimed a few years ago, can't be claimed for now, and vice versa, especially for furnished lettings. We're now also in a transition period where tax relief on mortgage interest will be different for each of the next 4 years.

    Re your other points...

    1) You can claim back 50% of the VAT if your company becomes vat registered. You can claim back 100% of the leasing costs against profits for corporation tax. BUT, you'll suffer a personal taxable benefit in kind which may mean you end up paying more personal tax than you save in corporation tax. You'd have to do the number crunching based on market price of the car when new, number of business mileage versus private mileage, CO2 emissions of the car etc. It's a very complicated set of calculations.

    2) If you use your own company car for non company business (i.e. your employers), it's private mileage. Yes, you can claim the usual mileage rates on your personal tax return, but as per 1, you will also have a personal taxable benefit in kind on the car.

    Most people with their own companies don't put cars through the company due to the punitive taxable benefits in kind. If you were thinking of a van or an electric car, the benefits are far lower and it's more viable, but for a mid range, petrol, average CO2 emission car, it's usually costs more in tax to have as a company car which is why relatively few do it.
    • realaledrinker
    • By realaledrinker 7th Oct 17, 11:24 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    • #3
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:24 PM
    • #3
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:24 PM
    Advice is wot u need
    Ethical moneysaver
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,979Posts Today

6,733Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

  • Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling

  • Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

  • Follow Martin