Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • loulou41
    • By loulou41 1st Oct 17, 6:45 PM
    • 2,710Posts
    • 179Thanks
    loulou41
    New glasses
    • 1st Oct 17, 6:45 PM
    New glasses 1st Oct 17 at 6:45 PM
    Big difference in prices between boots and spec savers. Are boots glasses quality are better than spec savers.? I wanted to regulate but was told it would be cheaper if I buy new frames. Need some specs with decent varifocals. Thanks
Page 2
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 27th Oct 17, 9:47 AM
    • 7,612 Posts
    • 5,012 Thanks
    Biggles
    I am very frustrated. After each test the optician gives me some text to read using his testing glasses and it looks focused and immaculate. Then I get varicoceles that really do not work.
    Originally posted by Sterlingtimes
    I bet that doesn't help a great deal with your reading.

varicoceles = A varicocele is a collection of enlarged veins in the scrotum. It occurs next to and above one testicle or both testes.
    • Collyflower1
    • By Collyflower1 27th Oct 17, 12:21 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Collyflower1
    I wasn't implying that my old retailer could help in this case. I was suggesting that maybe I should go back to them in future if it meant getting a better service than specsavers, even if it meant paying a bit more.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 27th Oct 17, 1:51 PM
    • 21,877 Posts
    • 10,582 Thanks
    lisyloo
    why would anyone pay retail prices anymore?
    Originally posted by antenna
    I use varifocals and I have astigmatism which means it's really important my glasses are in the right place.
    I also have problems with getting glasses to fit well in 2 different dimensions (skew-wiff horizontally and also scraping the eyelashes on my left eye).
    With my recent pais I think I vistid the opticians about 3 times to get them altered as you can't always tell immediately.

I went to specsavers because they give you 30 days to try varifocals if you are new to them. I got 3 pairs (2 varifocals and 1 reading) for 350 and I was very pleased with that.
    I have heard that Asda varifocals have reduced areas of focus. Some people may be happy with that. Specsavers have 4 different prices you can pay for lenses, so you can pay more to have better lenses.
    Last edited by lisyloo; 27-10-2017 at 1:54 PM.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 27th Oct 17, 6:20 PM
    • 38,624 Posts
    • 35,355 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    I am very frustrated. After each test the optician gives me some text to read using his testing glasses and it looks focused and immaculate. Then I get varicoceles that really do not work.
    Originally posted by Sterlingtimes
    My optician warned me that not everyone gets on with varifocals. I can't wear mine for walking around and definitely NOT for walking downstairs, but for everything else I get on OK with them.

I once accidentally put my reading glasses on and tried to drive. Pretty soon realised I had the wrong pair on!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • Sterlingtimes
    • By Sterlingtimes 30th Oct 17, 8:56 AM
    • 1,451 Posts
    • 3,816 Thanks
    Sterlingtimes
    I bet that doesn't help a great deal with your reading.

varicoceles = A varicocele is a collection of enlarged veins in the scrotum. It occurs next to and above one testicle or both testes.
    Originally posted by Biggles
    Yes, I have hand pain and use voice dictation software to avoid tying. The downside is that sometimes it produces some inappropriate words.
    Solar installed 21 November 2014 > Centre of England > 3,780 Wp > 14 *270 Watt Trina panels > 14 * Enphase micro-inverters > managed by Enlighten Envoy Hub > 19 west of south > 35 pitch > tree shading to east > iBoost > Wattson Anywhere monitoring > Ovo Smart Gateway > Schneider Electric (Drayton) MiGenie smart thermostat.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 10th Nov 17, 5:27 AM
    • 3,599 Posts
    • 7,383 Thanks
    Murphybear
    I bought some prescription sunglasses from Asda and are very pleased with them. I have varifocals and need a thinner lens for one eye. Asda include these without paying high costs for "extras". When I need new specs I shall definitely go to them. Now I am retired I am on a very tight budget and Asda supply a need.
    • accorian
    • By accorian 20th Dec 17, 11:03 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    accorian
    I've been a Specsavers customer for 15 years and have factored into the cost of new spectacles the care I've received from their opthalmic people over all those years. I don't know how quickly advanced technology spreads but I do know that Specsavers seemed to have some new, improved equipment at every one of my annual eye tests.

What I have never done nor ever will is buy the so-called 'premium' glasses and silly 'designer' frames. I recently had to have a stronger optical prescription so decided on some new frames. I presume those 100 items are purchased only by the seriously short-sighted, in which case they shoul.d have gone to, er, Boots.

The only complaint I have ever had with Specsavers has just occurred with these new 'Reactolite' lenses which, after a month, never reacted to anything. I took them back, complained, and was told that Specsavers would sort everything out at no extra cost even if it meant replacing them. In fact, all that happened was, the new specs were taken away and placed under some kind of special, bright light for a few minutes, and then brought back to me, functioning as they always should have done. The Specsavers staff were very apologetic, saying the lenses should have been placed under a light at the time of purchase to achieve the initial reaction.

Well, anyone can make a mistake. It was good of them to fix it, apologise for it, and I've no complaints.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 22nd Dec 17, 7:58 PM
    • 15,850 Posts
    • 43,878 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Can anyone tell me how long one has a "guarantee" on new Specsavers glasses if they turn out not to be correct. I bought 2 new pairs of glasses from them recently - and feel I can actually see better with my old computer glasses than the new ones (from them).
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 1st Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    • 38,624 Posts
    • 35,355 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    In the absence of informed opinion ... if there's nothing on their website, I'd go in and ask.

I now have different glasses for different purposes. I hate it and wish I could go back to the days of multiple ready readers left wherever I'd need them.

I can't use one new-ish pair on the computer: they are only useful for reading. The pair before that are OK on the computer, and so are my newest pairs. So is it possible that your newest pairs are not 'designed' for computer use, but are ideal for other things?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 30th Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    • 8,532 Posts
    • 6,304 Thanks
    pmduk
    How exactly is a Boots' optician better than any other? Opticians are professionally qualified outwith the opticians that they work for, ...
    Originally posted by Hengus
    I agree, but would add the standard of optician varies between individuals, I try to stick with a particular individual if at all possible.
    • missile
    • By missile 31st Jan 18, 3:37 PM
    • 9,479 Posts
    • 4,715 Thanks
    missile
    Can anyone tell me how long one has a "guarantee" on new Specsavers glasses if they turn out not to be correct. I bought 2 new pairs of glasses from them recently - and feel I can actually see better with my old computer glasses than the new ones (from them).
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Yes, Specsavers have a no quibble 30 day money back guarantee, which I have used. See here.

In the absence of informed opinion ... if there's nothing on their website, I'd go in and ask.

I now have different glasses for different purposes. I hate it and wish I could go back to the days of multiple ready readers left wherever I'd need them.

I can't use one new-ish pair on the computer: they are only useful for reading. The pair before that are OK on the computer, and so are my newest pairs. So is it possible that your newest pairs are not 'designed' for computer use, but are ideal for other things?
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    Glasses work best at a particular focal length. My optician asked me at what distance I held a book to read, which is closer than distance to my computer. She asked which I did most often and adjusted my prescription accordingly.
    Last edited by missile; 31-01-2018 at 3:43 PM.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • gerardty
    • By gerardty 26th Feb 18, 1:49 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    gerardty
    I have used ASDA for my last three pairs of varifocals, each time specifying Varilux Comfort lenses made by Essillor.

They fitted Varilux Comfort varifocal lenses into my existing frame costing me 110.

My local independent optician quoted in excess of 200.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 9th Mar 18, 7:10 AM
    • 8,532 Posts
    • 6,304 Thanks
    pmduk
    Glasses work best at a particular focal length. My optician asked me at what distance I held a book to read, which is closer than distance to my computer. She asked which I did most often and adjusted my prescription accordingly.
    Originally posted by missile
    I understand some optometrists will take a third measurement for people who use computers a lot.
    • Londonlisa12
    • By Londonlisa12 1st Apr 18, 11:01 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Londonlisa12
    Will never use boots again after the optician totally got my prescription wrong knowing I was only paying for the test and intended to buy online.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 1st Apr 18, 11:06 PM
    • 9,231 Posts
    • 14,239 Thanks
    worried jim
    Check out your local independent optician too, they are much more competitive these days and usually much better personal service.
    Originally posted by Biggles
    What? They rob you blind!
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 8th Apr 18, 1:52 PM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 873 Thanks
    dunroving
    What? They rob you blind!
    Originally posted by worried jim
    Ha ha. Nice pun.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • PC_Yorkshire
    • By PC_Yorkshire 28th Apr 18, 6:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PC_Yorkshire
    Supermarkets
    Both Asda and Tesco provide better customer service and price. I too was with Specsavers who have always been good and certainly better than Boots Opticians (see reviews on Trustpilot).

Don't forget the independent opticians who provide the additional service on lenses only in your old glasses or lenses for your frames bought elsewhere.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

41Posts Today

3,120Users online

Martin's Twitter