New Chicken Scandal : supplier fiddles dates.

Comments

• pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 September 2017 at 1:11PM
    Mee wrote: »
    This has come up before. I use to have a problem with chicken pieces sold by Sainsbury's well before they admitted a problem in 2016. No longer buy it from them.

PS I'm thinking of giving up chicken anyway and will defo if/when the UK signs a trade deal with the US.

Its not just their chicken you need to be wary of
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • vigman
    vigman Posts: 1,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 September 2017 at 1:31PM
    Pelirocco you are very well informed. Do you happen to know if supermarkets have their turkey meat from Two Sisters or any other dubious suppliers please? Is a lot of this also imported?

I ask because I have serious health problems that mean I can only eat very lean meat and fish so I have to have a safe supply of chicken and turkey. I can't eat red meat, cheese, chocolate for example.

I am blue badge disabled so it is easiest for me to go to the nearest supermarket, Tesco and get my supplies. I know cheap poultry won't be great but I don't expect it to be unfit to eat and likely to cause food poisoning.

I even bought and returned Tesco Finest chicken fillets as they were spoiled.

It is all very well for people to say "buy from a local butcher" but 1. This is not easy for me to get to and 2. Is expensive and I and my wife only live on my disability pension until I turn 65 in a year's time.

As I said previously I don't expect supermarket poultry to be of great quality and taste but I do expect it to be fit for human consumption!

This issue is going to cause me quite a serious dilemma which is why I am so upset about it.

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
  • 3 months ago I gave up eating meat to help my health, and the environment.

This shows it was definitely the right decision.
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have not read the article online but I did read it in the actual paper, my indulgence of the week, bought because it was the lead article.

It has a list of all the food businesses in the same chain, and although I can't remember all of them, I do remember that Bernard Matthews is in the list so possibly that goes some way towards your question vigman. I don't eat turkey, but we do eat chicken.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    pelirocco wrote: »
    Its not just their chicken you need to be wary of

I'm sure, but that is the topic. I rarely shop there now.
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • Mee
    I wonder whether this scandal makes it difficult for M&S to pretend their food is anything special...
  • Mee
    Worth looking at more recent Guardian editorials and letters on this matter
  • vigman
    Worth looking at more recent Guardian editorials and letters on this matter

Many thanks for the link. I was surprised that Tesco did not immediately suspend sales of Willow Farm chicken.

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
  • vigman
    I see Tesco were the fifth retailer to suspend purchasing from Two Sisters.

Vigman
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I wonder whether this scandal makes it difficult for M&S to pretend their food is anything special...
    It was obvious years ago, that their wrapped chocolate assortments were actually Quality Street and Roses with different wrappers.

I only buy chicken form Morrisons, now, as they declared that their meat was not produced the halal way, though New Zealand lamb was. This is nothing to do with religion, but unnecessary cruelty (beyond that of normal slaughter). Other supermarkets were coy, refusing to comment, saying there was a mixture of origins and one even saying it was ok as te animals were prayed over. (I had risked Aldi until a box of halal turkey was photographed on an aisle of a store; reply being most is not halal).

The picking up of food from floors is an old tradition in manufacture. At least the chicken will be cooked, but some years ago, school friends had summer jobs in a big name bakery's factory, making battenburg cakes.

The instructions were to pick up any marzipan offcuts from the floor and place them in machines that mixed them up to be reused as one would remix and roll pastry offcuts at home.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure