Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Happy_bunny
    • By Happy_bunny 25th Sep 17, 6:58 PM
    • 416Posts
    • 245Thanks
    Happy_bunny
    'Windfalls' during BR
    • 25th Sep 17, 6:58 PM
    'Windfalls' during BR 25th Sep 17 at 6:58 PM
    Can anyone enlighten me on how any (unexpected) windfalls would be dealt with by the OR?

Couple of examples of what I mean below -

Accident causes TV to become damaged beyond repair - Unexpected amount of say 300 from home insurance claim but now have to replace the TV

Win competition - the prize is entertainment equipment for the house, Say TV, Laptop, Games console ect - Worth 2500, Can I sell any of these items? Or keep the new items and sell my own goods as no longer required?

eBay - Regularly have a clear out - all stuff that's been bought by myself - DVD's, Games, Kids clothes - Mainly household but am a hoarder/collector so some items such as old coins, model cars and collectable cards - Is this allowed? the income is generally used to replace what's been sold with newer/different stuff.

Be grateful if someone 'in the know' can cast a light
Page 2
    • db2016
    • By db2016 19th Feb 18, 3:30 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    db2016
    my understanding is, if any ppi or other claims etc were entitled to you before the br or in the undischarged period, the OR has an interest.
    • Gaz1
    • By Gaz1 20th Feb 18, 8:50 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Gaz1
    Ok so in my case I started my workplace/personal injury claim in December last year and I should be making my BR application next week and knowing my luck my injury case dragging on over 12 months so after my BR period, would the OR need to know about it?.
    Thanks in advance.
    Gaz
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 20th Feb 18, 11:06 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    cjmillsnun
    Yes, as the claim went in before BR.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
    • Gaz1
    • By Gaz1 12th Mar 18, 9:04 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Gaz1
    Hi all just a little update on this matter, I spoke with a really nice chap in my telephone interview on Friday and we spoke about my workplace injury claim and he confirmed that has there would be 2 awards
    1 for pain and suffering and 2 loss of earnings and out of pocket expenses, so I asked what they would take towards the debt and I presumed he would take the lot, but he explained they would only take the loss of earnings dependent on the amount but I can keep all of the pain and suffering element which is a relief. Hope this helps clarify
    Gaz
    • LincsPaul
    • By LincsPaul 14th Mar 18, 8:01 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    LincsPaul
    Gaz - good news on the workplace injury claim.

About the car.. if you need it for childcare purposes and there is no bus (remember that often the bus can work out expensive as well, if there was one!) then they shouldn't take it from you. especially if it's fair market value is <1000.

The motorbike. I was in a similar situation with a beloved second car and the best thing to do is not allow it to be taken away and getting nothing for it. Sell it prior to BR (MUST be for a fair market price) and use the money towards bills, food or BR fee. Absolutely no point in allowing it to be taken away during BR.

I was unemployed and used the proceeds from my second car & a substantial tax rebate to pay my rent and bills in the months leading up to BR. OR didn't question it. The money wasn't squandered at the expense of my creditors and nor was it stuffed down the back of the sofa. It was put to good and fair use and, since at the time I wasn't BR, it was MINE to do what I wanted with it.
    Last edited by LincsPaul; 15-03-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

784Posts Today

6,227Users online

Martin's Twitter