Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 25th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    • 23,730Posts
    • 42,865Thanks
    ZTD
    And now the fuse is lit...
    • 25th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    And now the fuse is lit... 25th Sep 17 at 6:40 PM
    Well...

I have a house. And a mortgage. Took years and cost a fortune, as Batman said once.

Don't talk to me about surveys (though this one at "so so" was better than many). Or surveyors (I wouldn't use this one again - seemed scared of ladders). Or vendors (though this one was great). Or estate agents (this one was truly dreadful). Or solicitors (though this one was great).

I don't suppose this diary is going to be much about finances or mortgages, because let's face it, apart from a little kerfuffle once a month (when I get paid) nothing much seems to happen. It'll probably just being rude about things, and encouraging others to be rude too...

Welcome aboard the mortgage diary. Hopefully it will be an express elevator to hell - going down!

Twenty five years seems a long time otherwise...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
Page 31
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 7th Mar 18, 9:55 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,865 Thanks
    ZTD
    Thanks again for the lantern tip, repaired and casting an eerie glow
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    No problem - I have too much experience with cheap electrical gizmos alas...

I'm still shocked it was lead-acid. It's certainly not going to blow away in a breeze...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 7th Mar 18, 10:45 PM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 6,140 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    And the final half-kilo of silver shrapnel has disappeared into the automatic cashiers at Tesco. It's funny, but it swallowed all of the funky, gunky coins, but rejected a nice silvery new 5p.

Next is the copper coloured shrapnel. I'm probably going against instincts, but I think I'll be using one of those Coin-o-rama (or whatever they're called) machines that take a 10% chunk.

Live is too short to be shovelling in 2kg of copper which will be worth about £3.48...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    My bank has a coin deposit machine for such purposes, I took nearly £100 worth of change into the bank a few months back (having a pushchair is useful sometimes) and deposited it in the machine and straight into the bank I'm not a huge amount of time and no counting either.
    (I'm actually a little bit excited about saving up shrapnel to do it again at some point )
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 £1600ish/£2,500
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 7th Mar 18, 11:05 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,865 Thanks
    ZTD
    My bank has a coin deposit machine for such purposes, I took nearly £100 worth of change into the bank a few months back (having a pushchair is useful sometimes) and deposited it in the machine and straight into the bank I'm not a huge amount of time and no counting either.
    (I'm actually a little bit excited about saving up shrapnel to do it again at some point )
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    Unfortunately, my "surviving" bank/BS branches don't have that. I say "surviving" as so far, locally, I've lost 2 bank branches, and one building society.

Bit of a shame really, as it would be handy.

I've shovelled about £70 of silver into the automated checkout in total (a number of trips). A couple of kilos worth in total.

Given that there were 50ps in there, but the maximum value of the copper coins is 2p, the copper bags won't be worth too much money/time/effort IMHO.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Butti
    • By Butti 7th Mar 18, 11:16 PM
    • 4,620 Posts
    • 12,381 Thanks
    Butti
    Unfortunately, my "surviving" bank/BS branches don't have that. I say "surviving" as so far, locally, I've lost 2 bank branches, and one building society.
    Originally posted by ZTD
    That was very careless of you Zed. Do you remember where you put them?
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. (08/12) £22,734. (2/15 )£7790
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S MOB
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 7th Mar 18, 11:28 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,865 Thanks
    ZTD
    Originally posted by Butti
    They're all in Durham apparently, which is difficult and time consuming to get in to.

Which is understandable, as the only reason Durham exists, is that it's difficult to get in to...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 8th Mar 18, 7:40 AM
    • 16,589 Posts
    • 109,544 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Shame on you Z, prepared to pay a machine to count your money for you . Back in 'the day' I used to love emptying Peefer Pig and bagging up all the coins. The full bags got paid into the bank and paid straight off the mortgage. Part bags were emptied back into Peefer to keep on growing. Ah, happy days when I finally got full bags of 5p's and 1p's . Basically I treated it as a game - one of the many tools in my MF toolbox .

Now I'm a treasurer for a local group and coins aren't bagged, they go in little plastic rollers which are different colours/sizes for each denomination and which make me very happy .

Durham is very hard to get into isn't it? But worth it when you get there .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Mar 18, 8:40 AM
    • 29,180 Posts
    • 166,568 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I too like counting shrapnel and then getting full value for it
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Mar 18, 11:22 AM
    • 53,939 Posts
    • 213,720 Thanks
    beanielou
    Originally posted by Butti
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 8th Mar 18, 8:11 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,865 Thanks
    ZTD
    Shame on you Z, prepared to pay a machine to count your money for you .
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    I wasn't for the silver, but I am for the copper.

According to the scales I have
    2,412g of 1p's or 661, or £6.61
    1,140g of 2p's or 160, or £3.20

So, over 800 coins worth in total less than a tenner.

If you want, you can feed them into the automatic checkout, and keep the 9.9%? At 1 second per coin, that's about 13 minutes, or a wage at a smidge over £4 per hour.

Durham is very hard to get into isn't it? But worth it when you get there .
    I wouldn't go quite that far - the hills do keep you fit though.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Mar 18, 8:54 PM
    • 53,939 Posts
    • 213,720 Thanks
    beanielou
    I wouldent either TBH.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 8th Mar 18, 9:16 PM
    • 16,589 Posts
    • 109,544 Thanks
    gallygirl

If you want, you can feed them into the automatic checkout, and keep the 9.9%? At 1 second per coin, that's about 13 minutes, or a wage at a smidge over £4 per hour.
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Yes please. I assume you're paying my air fair as well
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 8th Mar 18, 9:26 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,865 Thanks
    ZTD
    Yes please. I assume you're paying my air fair as well
    What? With such generous remuneration?!

OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 8th Mar 18, 9:34 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,865 Thanks
    ZTD
    So, £290 mortgage payment, £95 interest and so the rest as a capital payment...

Another month closer...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Mar 18, 9:38 PM
    • 53,939 Posts
    • 213,720 Thanks
    beanielou
    Another month closer is always always good

***Keep plodding***
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 9th Mar 18, 7:41 AM
    • 2,704 Posts
    • 13,345 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    Another month closer is a great feeling. I love seeing the months come down on my overall target. Congrats.
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2025... 38//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £40,984.38
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Current: £95,015.63 // Avg Daily Interest £4.27
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 74.24% of £41,000
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Mar 18, 9:13 AM
    • 29,180 Posts
    • 166,568 Thanks
    Karmacat
    According to the scales I have
    2,412g of 1p's or 661, or £6.61
    1,140g of 2p's or 160, or £3.20

So, over 800 coins worth in total less than a tenner.

Originally posted by ZTD
    Doing YouGov surveys is a notional rate of about £2 per hour

So, £290 mortgage payment, £95 interest and so the rest as a capital payment...

Another month closer...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Hurray
    Retired August 2016
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 9th Mar 18, 7:42 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,865 Thanks
    ZTD
    Doing YouGov surveys is a notional rate of about £2 per hour
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    There's a reason why I have a job I don't particularly like...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 9th Mar 18, 7:45 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,865 Thanks
    ZTD
    Confirmed to my ISP today that I found their above-inflation price rises less than 6 months into my 18 month contract to be gauche and inappropriate. This stops them charging me a cancellation fee.

Obviously I was put through to their "retentions" department, but that wasn't going to fly...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 10th Mar 18, 11:34 AM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,865 Thanks
    ZTD
    So...the statistics for the winter just gone are out.

If compared to the average from 1961-1990, it would be considered a warmer than average winter.

We (modern people) are officially wusses...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Mar 18, 11:15 AM
    • 29,180 Posts
    • 166,568 Thanks
    Karmacat
    You wuss you
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,282Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin