Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 25th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    • 23,730Posts
    • 42,865Thanks
    ZTD
    And now the fuse is lit...
    • 25th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    And now the fuse is lit... 25th Sep 17 at 6:40 PM
    Well...

I have a house. And a mortgage. Took years and cost a fortune, as Batman said once.

Don't talk to me about surveys (though this one at "so so" was better than many). Or surveyors (I wouldn't use this one again - seemed scared of ladders). Or vendors (though this one was great). Or estate agents (this one was truly dreadful). Or solicitors (though this one was great).

I don't suppose this diary is going to be much about finances or mortgages, because let's face it, apart from a little kerfuffle once a month (when I get paid) nothing much seems to happen. It'll probably just being rude about things, and encouraging others to be rude too...

Welcome aboard the mortgage diary. Hopefully it will be an express elevator to hell - going down!

Twenty five years seems a long time otherwise...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
Page 30
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 28th Feb 18, 8:14 AM
    • 29,201 Posts
    • 166,747 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Impressive, Z!
    Retired August 2016
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 28th Feb 18, 7:36 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,865 Thanks
    ZTD
    Impressive, Z!
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    What? The porsche driver? Absolutely. With a reasonably light car, tyres as wide as a spiv, and oodles of power - that's a recipe for hedging...

Snow is currently halfway up car wheels - so that's about 8 inches. Kerbs have gone - road and path are flat together. It's blowing a gale which is predicted to get worse.

But, I have food, and I can work from home - so it's not all bad.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 28th Feb 18, 7:57 PM
    • 54,034 Posts
    • 214,120 Thanks
    beanielou
    Not all bad indeed.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 28th Feb 18, 11:21 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,865 Thanks
    ZTD
    Snow is currently halfway up car wheels - so that's about 8 inches.
    Originally posted by ZTD
    About 9 1/2 now.

Inches - not weeks...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 1st Mar 18, 1:53 PM
    • 29,201 Posts
    • 166,747 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Impressive, Z!
    What? The porsche driver? Absolutely. With a reasonably light car, tyres as wide as a spiv, and oodles of power - that's a recipe for hedging...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Well, him too, but I was really thinking of this: "Came home to snow above the back door step, and a snow tide mark on the bathroom windows - just like the Christmas cards... "

I hope you're definitely working from home today.
    Retired August 2016
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 1st Mar 18, 7:17 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,865 Thanks
    ZTD
    Well, him too, but I was really thinking of this: "Came home to snow above the back door step, and a snow tide mark on the bathroom windows - just like the Christmas cards... "
    It's probably going to be difficult to get out the back door now. It's just a matter of time before the back yard fills completely with snow. The tide marks on the windows is about 4 inches, which is impressive given the gale howling out there now.

The snow on the roads round here is now slightly deeper than most cars ground clearance. So it is going to take a fair wedge of power to drive around in that until you get to somewhere flattened.

I hope you're definitely working from home today.
    I am indeed. Biggest advantage was that the meal today wasn't a bing meal - but real chips...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st Mar 18, 9:32 PM
    • 54,034 Posts
    • 214,120 Thanks
    beanielou
    Real chips

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 1st Mar 18, 9:44 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,865 Thanks
    ZTD
    Real chips
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Yes, made with real potatoes (as oppose to Potato brand sawdust) and fried (not baked) with real fat.

That sort of thing doesn't happen in the work's microwave.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st Mar 18, 9:48 PM
    • 54,034 Posts
    • 214,120 Thanks
    beanielou
    Anyone else not getting MSE thread nofifications by email?

***Keep plodding***
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 1st Mar 18, 9:50 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,865 Thanks
    ZTD
    Anyone else not getting MSE thread nofifications by email?
    I don't set email notifications, so I wouldn't know. I get enough email as it is...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Mar 18, 9:43 AM
    • 29,201 Posts
    • 166,747 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I don't get them either, beanie, sorry.
    Retired August 2016
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 3rd Mar 18, 3:33 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,865 Thanks
    ZTD
    Well, I've been outside. And yes, I did wear my big coat.

The back door just knocked off the peaks of the snow, the garage door on the other hand swept a lovely smooth curve.

Smooth until I stood in it of course.

I went out to run my car to ensure the battery stayed topped up, so I ran it about 35 minutes because it seemed a little hesitant to start. It was somewhat difficult to get into, as although like the garage door, the driver door swept a smooth curve, outside of that arc was a high ridge that took some stepping over.

This is the start of the forecasted thaw. The wind has dropped, it's -1C and it's snowing. Obviously I must understand the word "thaw" differently to weather people. Perhaps I should be thinking more along the lines of "Thaw - the god of Thwunder"
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 3rd Mar 18, 6:40 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,865 Thanks
    ZTD
    Robins are both scarily intense, and extremely cute when they fight...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 4th Mar 18, 4:28 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,865 Thanks
    ZTD
    So, the long awaited thaw is finally here. Everything is dripping; it's very,very foggy; and it's snowing a blizzard.

Spring is obviously just around the corner.

It's also intensely chilly. Wet cold chills in a way that dry cold can only dream about.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 4th Mar 18, 4:30 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,865 Thanks
    ZTD
    Done the weekend banking. I've been paid - that's always a good sign. So that's 1,000 off to the offset.

I must investigate the possibility of getting my DDs taken directly from there. That would make the offset work even harder for me. It's just that the online bit isn't as good as FD.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Mar 18, 7:36 PM
    • 54,034 Posts
    • 214,120 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sure that you can work something out.

***Keep plodding***
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 4th Mar 18, 9:07 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,865 Thanks
    ZTD
    Sure that you can work something out.
    I'll probably leave it until after the financial year ends. Too many balls up in the air in regards to that offset at the moment. Though it is certainly looking like a plan to pay that in full, stick a few direct debits in as well, then take out "spending money" for myself.

Effectively every penny would be earning interest (tax free) at the rate of my mortgage.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 6th Mar 18, 7:57 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,865 Thanks
    ZTD
    A small transfer to the offset account, of interest earned by the "alternative" current account. (It's "alternative" in the same way as "alternative" comedy - i.e. not very funny)

I've also dropped the amount going to a regular saver, and the excess is due to go the the offset. Strictly speaking, it is a slightly lesser interest rate, but I think I can swallow the 2.40 per year...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 7th Mar 18, 8:37 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,865 Thanks
    ZTD
    And the final half-kilo of silver shrapnel has disappeared into the automatic cashiers at Tesco. It's funny, but it swallowed all of the funky, gunky coins, but rejected a nice silvery new 5p.

Next is the copper coloured shrapnel. I'm probably going against instincts, but I think I'll be using one of those Coin-o-rama (or whatever they're called) machines that take a 10% chunk.

Live is too short to be shovelling in 2kg of copper which will be worth about 3.48...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 7th Mar 18, 9:13 PM
    • 11,124 Posts
    • 59,707 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Thanks again for the lantern tip, repaired and casting an eerie glow
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,029Posts Today

7,945Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin