Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 25th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    • 23,730Posts
    • 42,852Thanks
    ZTD
    And now the fuse is lit...
    • 25th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    And now the fuse is lit... 25th Sep 17 at 6:40 PM
    Well...

I have a house. And a mortgage. Took years and cost a fortune, as Batman said once.

Don't talk to me about surveys (though this one at "so so" was better than many). Or surveyors (I wouldn't use this one again - seemed scared of ladders). Or vendors (though this one was great). Or estate agents (this one was truly dreadful). Or solicitors (though this one was great).

I don't suppose this diary is going to be much about finances or mortgages, because let's face it, apart from a little kerfuffle once a month (when I get paid) nothing much seems to happen. It'll probably just being rude about things, and encouraging others to be rude too...

Welcome aboard the mortgage diary. Hopefully it will be an express elevator to hell - going down!

Twenty five years seems a long time otherwise...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
Page 28
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Feb 18, 7:20 PM
    • 52,586 Posts
    • 206,334 Thanks
    beanielou
    I used to have a pair of blur crocs. The shame
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Butti
    • By Butti 13th Feb 18, 8:58 PM
    • 4,606 Posts
    • 12,330 Thanks
    Butti
    And I've just unearthed an AGP interfaced graphics card...

How long ago were they a thing?
    Originally posted by ZTD
    1980's I think....or is that something else.....the pink thing with squares missing that you fed in for computer programming?
    I keep the wrapping paper on top of the wardrobe, easy for chucking up there.

Maybe the people you were saying something nice to have never had anyone say anything nice and thus mistook it for sarcasm. As you know I have done this in the past to lovely people who have complimented me.

On Saturday the pub landlord was telling me how he'd told someone "everyone loves Butti*" Patently this is not true. Not only because thats a made up name* but there's at least one person in the pub who doesn't like me. Still it's nice to hear that people like you!

How rock n roll is mashed potato and beans for tea?
    Last edited by Butti; 13-02-2018 at 9:03 PM.
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. (08/12) £22,734. (10/14) £9127 (2/15N )£7790
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S MOB NSD April 3/7
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 13th Feb 18, 9:19 PM
    • 16,544 Posts
    • 109,299 Thanks
    gallygirl
    And I've just unearthed an AGP interfaced graphics card...

How long ago were they a thing?
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Can't help you Z - didn't know they had ever been 'a thing' .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 13th Feb 18, 9:49 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,852 Thanks
    ZTD
    Second paragraph.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    The first part of it: If you accelerate in a front-wheel drive, the weight shifts to the back, and so the front wheels "lift" off the ground. So if you give it a bit too much welly, a front-wheel drive will lose grip and just spend time scrabbling around.

You can often hear it if you have the window down, and are not educating the neighbourhood with Nessun Dorma...

In a rear-wheel drive (and by extension 4 wheel drive) car, the weight shifts and the rear wheels "dig in" and provide additional traction. This means you can come flying out of junctions, though steering can be a bit hit-and-miss.

In extremis, you can do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPMkgBvBERk

However, my car when pulling away suddenly, is deader than tank tops. That's the dreaded turbo lag at work. So, what I tend to do, if give the engine a little bit of revs (only about 1000) which gets the turbo spinning up.

At that point, with those two factors working together, you're leaving the area almost as quickly as an MP once they've found out they can't expense it.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 13th Feb 18, 9:59 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,852 Thanks
    ZTD
    I used to have a pair of blur crocs. The shame
    Practicality is never shameful.

And could have been far worse. Could have been Taylor Swift.

1980's I think....or is that something else.....the pink thing with squares missing that you fed in for computer programming?
    Originally posted by Butti
    Butti! I was wondering where you were lurking...

I looked it up. It came out in the year 2000. So old enough to vote now...

On Saturday the pub landlord was telling me how he'd told someone "everyone loves Butti*" Patently this is not true. Not only because thats a made up name* but there's at least one person in the pub who doesn't like me. Still it's nice to hear that people like you!
    You're obviously leaving a good impression.

How rock n roll is mashed potato and beans for tea?
    Even rock stars need fibre...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Feb 18, 10:00 PM
    • 52,586 Posts
    • 206,334 Thanks
    beanielou
    Thanks Z

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 13th Feb 18, 10:01 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,852 Thanks
    ZTD
    Can't help you Z - didn't know they had ever been 'a thing' .
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    Well I've just connected the tape deck up on the living room hifi - how long since *they* were a thing?
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Feb 18, 10:01 PM
    • 52,586 Posts
    • 206,334 Thanks
    beanielou
    We love you Butti

***Keep plodding***
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 13th Feb 18, 10:02 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,852 Thanks
    ZTD
    Thanks Z
    And there you were thinking your driving had never made youtube...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Feb 18, 10:06 PM
    • 52,586 Posts
    • 206,334 Thanks
    beanielou
    And there you were thinking your driving had never made youtube...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    No, only my parking
    I got stuck in a space the other day & a friend had to rescue it for me
    I cannot parrarel park, nor spell.

***Keep plodding***
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 14th Feb 18, 9:02 AM
    • 11,057 Posts
    • 59,298 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Well I've just connected the tape deck up on the living room hifi - how long since *they* were a thing?
    Originally posted by ZTD
    I did have a surprising conversation the other day when someone was talking about VHS CCTV tapes!
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 14th Feb 18, 12:59 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,852 Thanks
    ZTD
    I did have a surprising conversation the other day when someone was talking about VHS CCTV tapes!
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    If you knew the full hassle of preserving chain-of-custody and confirming and maintaining integrity of a digital copy of CCTV footage, there is a distinct attraction (from the CCTV operator's point of view) in just handing over a physical tape and saying "There you go..."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 14th Feb 18, 1:02 PM
    • 11,057 Posts
    • 59,298 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Luckily our client has a world class disregard for personal privacy monitoring centre, everything is digital now
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 14th Feb 18, 1:08 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,852 Thanks
    ZTD
    No, only my parking
    I got stuck in a space the other day & a friend had to rescue it for me
    We've seen your parking... https://youtu.be/Ep_Bn5Hzrps?t=13s

I cannot parrarel park, nor spell.
    If you want to be better, then like anything, you will need to practice.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Butti
    • By Butti 14th Feb 18, 4:15 PM
    • 4,606 Posts
    • 12,330 Thanks
    Butti

Butti! I was wondering where you were lurking...

Originally posted by ZTD
    Cuba.....that's where I was lurking and then in bed and then running out of petrol when I should have stayed in bed a bit longer.
    'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S MOB NSD April 3/7
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 14th Feb 18, 5:32 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,852 Thanks
    ZTD
    Cuba.....that's where I was lurking
    I knew you were going to Cuba, you just seemed to be there for a very long time. Unless you went "radio silence" a bit before you left?

Was it good? Meet anyone nice? What's the weather like there this time of year?

and then in bed
    Delhi belly?

and then running out of petrol when I should have stayed in bed a bit longer.
    Is there a story behind that?
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 15th Feb 18, 8:24 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,852 Thanks
    ZTD
    So, £4,200 in from refunds and a old monthly saver, and £3,300 out to the mortgage offset.

And I'm also almost solvent now after the car MOT apocalypse event
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Feb 18, 10:26 PM
    • 28,955 Posts
    • 164,677 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Z, thats brilliant! Was that a PPI refund or something? Or, oh no, tax? Car accident? Seems really huge, and I'm trying to think of something nice that could be refunded, but all I can think of is bad stuff, sorry!
    Retired August 2016
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 15th Feb 18, 11:15 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,852 Thanks
    ZTD
    Z, thats brilliant! Was that a PPI refund or something? Or, oh no, tax? Car accident? Seems really huge, and I'm trying to think of something nice that could be refunded, but all I can think of is bad stuff, sorry!
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    The biggest part of it was the remnants of an old Leeds Monthly Saver which was forcibly closed and which didn't have the deadline of 1 year (like most of them) so you could just keep paying into it. I have its successor running at the moment, but it has a max value of £6,000 and a lower interest rate, so it's not as good.

The refunds were just things like gas, water and electricity from the old house. If you leave in the middle of winter, it knocks their spend projections all to !!!!...

Edit: LOL - last word is "cock".
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Butti
    • By Butti 15th Feb 18, 11:23 PM
    • 4,606 Posts
    • 12,330 Thanks
    Butti
    I knew you were going to Cuba, you just seemed to be there for a very long time. Unless you went "radio silence" a bit before you left?

Was it good? Meet anyone nice? What's the weather like there this time of year?

Is there a story behind that?
    Originally posted by ZTD
    I did go a bit Radio Silent before....and I'm always a bit conscious people are money saving and I'm saying "I'm going to Cuba".

It was very good. My spanish improved a bit (from a standing start) and it was very very different. Different outlook. Much more community minded. Extremely safe for tourists.

They desperately need tourism so I'm going back next year I think. Need to do the sums.
    Took tennis balls and a phone charger to give away. Next time I am taking footballs and guitar strings.

The weather was hot, too hot one night, but generally a really nice contrast to Blighty. Whole thing cost about £2k with spending money. I booked my own flights and Air BNB'd. Worked really well.

Allegedly you take one day to recover from each hour of travelling. My plane journey was about 12 hours with some standing around between. I had a bit of a car episode four days after getting back, terrible journey, I just kept getting lost in a rural area. Seriously, I couldn't have found my way out of a paper bag! Ran out of petrol eventually about 6 miles from home. I flagged down a farmer who took pity on me and drove me to the petrol station.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,882Posts Today

6,817Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Mattallwright: I don?t think life is fair. I think we have to work to impose our idea of fairness on life. It doesn?t come pre-justiced?

• 3 tips to succeed if you want to start your own business, from me, an accidental entrepreneur... https://t.co/leamX59TY1

• My advice for budding entrepreneurs... why a good idea is a nightmare... https://t.co/eJaF2HPXxu

• Follow Martin