And now the fuse is lit...

Comments

• ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    So...this is the first time I've moved in almost exactly 10 years...and I'm already sick of it...

I don't know how those people who move every couple of years do it.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,118 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    ZTD wrote: »
    So...this is the first time I've moved in almost exactly 10 years...and I'm already sick of it...

I don't know how those people who move every couple of years do it.

Neither do I.
    Been in my wee hoose nearly 30 years:rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Me too. But you've done it now, it's a question now of being as economical as you can with your energy (and your money!) and still get to live the way you want. This is your long term home, yes? It's worth doing properly, but if that means *immediately* lifting up the floorboards ... maybe wait till summer? And do stuff in other rooms first ...

Which bit is it that you're sick of, Z?
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • ZTD
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Me too. But you've done it now, it's a question now of being as economical as you can with your energy (and your money!) and still get to live the way you want. This is your long term home, yes?

It will be. If it's not, it'll certainly be the base where I scout out a retirement pad.
    It's worth doing properly, but if that means *immediately* lifting up the floorboards ... maybe wait till summer? And do stuff in other rooms first ...

I do have priorities. One of the advantages of being a student, is that I'm not hugely bothered about how I live. So, for example, I've slept on a mattress on the floor for the past couple of months, as a bed as such is a lesser priority than say windows cills and curtain rails.
    Which bit is it that you're sick of, Z?

The dependencies of things on each other, so that I have a load of books which I can't get out until I've reconstructed shelves. But I also have computer gear which I can't get out of boxes until I've re-constructed the desk. I also have a load of paperwork in boxes, which I can't get out until I've done the filing cabinets/drawers. But they all dance around each other, so I have to do them all, before filling them. And there's only one of me. My parents have been a great help, but for many jobs, I need to be there, and I work full time.

Added to that, my landlord has taken to just wandering into my other house now that I've given notice (and he obviously feels he has nothing to lose), leaving the lights on and heating going full blast. So, I've had to change priorities (again) and I have to fly by there every night, turn things off, and retrieve those items I was going to leave until I had things sorted here to take them. Such as my financial documentation (filing), and other electronic gubbins (computer stuff).

That's an extra 40 minutes per evening. Ho hum...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    ZTD wrote: »
    Had a small unscheduled departure from the road tonight. A combination of fog and a greasy road. Doesn't really work braking for a corner if your brakes are just going to make farty noises at you and not slow you down...

Didn't miss the corner by much, and the soft verge travelling wasn't too bad because my car has reasonable ground clearance and I was going slow (because it was foggy :doh:) but even so, something I could do without...

Well lucky you’d bought that mattress then. Did you tie it to your front bumper?
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • Butti
    Butti Posts: 5,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Landlords. ....we used to have a dreadful one in Oxford. He didn't even try to get his head around the principle of quiet enjoyment.
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. DEBT FREE APRIL 2021.
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    48% off mortgage

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Butti wrote: »
    Landlords. ....we used to have a dreadful one in Oxford. He didn't even try to get his head around the principle of quiet enjoyment.
    Absolutely! That's *dreadful* behaviour by the landlord :(

I feel for you with the dancing around stuff, Z. I'm currently doing that at my house still, because of the acoustic insulation going into all the alcoves. Alcoves hold things like bookcases, wardrobes, desks ... the amount of **stuff** is horrendous. In about 20 minutes, I'm off to buy some white paint, hopefully I'll have done them all this week, and I'll be able to get my storage operational again.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,118 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Eek to the landlord.
    That is not on.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • ZTD
    Well lucky you’d bought that mattress then. Did you tie it to your front bumper?

That was weeks ago...

Why would I have needed to tie anything? I didn't hit anything, just travelled along a soft verge for a while. It's more the general principle of the thing, brakes are there to stop you, not to just make farty noises and do nothing else. My previous car, you could lock the wheels by pumping the brakes, but this one is too clever/stupid to fall for that.

I'm going to have to remember to turn off ABS in the snow...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    Butti wrote: »

Well I went back tonight, and the heating has failed...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport