Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 25th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    • 23,730Posts
    • 42,866Thanks
    ZTD
    And now the fuse is lit...
    • 25th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    And now the fuse is lit... 25th Sep 17 at 6:40 PM
    Well...

I have a house. And a mortgage. Took years and cost a fortune, as Batman said once.

Don't talk to me about surveys (though this one at "so so" was better than many). Or surveyors (I wouldn't use this one again - seemed scared of ladders). Or vendors (though this one was great). Or estate agents (this one was truly dreadful). Or solicitors (though this one was great).

I don't suppose this diary is going to be much about finances or mortgages, because let's face it, apart from a little kerfuffle once a month (when I get paid) nothing much seems to happen. It'll probably just being rude about things, and encouraging others to be rude too...

Welcome aboard the mortgage diary. Hopefully it will be an express elevator to hell - going down!

Twenty five years seems a long time otherwise...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
Page 21
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 4th Jan 18, 8:08 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,866 Thanks
    ZTD
    I think that tonight's motto needs to be: "Always keep your wits about you."

Driving home tonight down a side road, to join a main road. When someone pulls off the main road towards me. Nothing unusual in that, I hear you say, they're just going where I came from.

Except they then pulled broadside to me, trying to do a "turn in the junction". Their indicators had obviously called-in sick today. And it was only about 10 yards in front of me. Luckily my brakes hadn't called-in sick, because it was dark, and wet, and a completely stupid manoeuvre.

Unfortunately again, they'd completely misjudged their turning circle and were stuck up against the kerb, blocking the road. So they had to reverse broadside to me. Also unfortunately once again, they'd misjudged their width, so were half-way on the main road at the same time and so also reversing into the face of on-coming traffic. Thankfully the other drivers' brakes hadn't called-in sick either.

On the bright side, it just shows the Stevie Wonder School of Motoring was being given custom by the Ambulance service.

Because yes - it was an ambulance, and not in an emergency either. Well, assuming brain failure isn't an emergency.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 4th Jan 18, 8:10 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,866 Thanks
    ZTD
    Trying to get rid of my copious amounts of shrapnel by using the supermarkets' self-service machines. Thirty pounds in silver (or at least cupronickel) weighs an awful lot, and takes a long, long time to feed into the machine...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 4th Jan 18, 9:42 PM
    • 1,453 Posts
    • 6,876 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Trying to get rid of my copious amounts of shrapnel by using the supermarkets' self-service machines. Thirty pounds in silver (or at least cupronickel) weighs an awful lot, and takes a long, long time to feed into the machine...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    My bank has a change machine that means you can pay such shrapnel directly into your account. Much bigger conveyor belt than those self checkout machines.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 £1600ish/£2,500
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Jan 18, 9:42 PM
    • 54,893 Posts
    • 219,094 Thanks
    beanielou
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Glad I wasent behind you in the line
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 5th Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,866 Thanks
    ZTD
    My bank has a change machine that means you can pay such shrapnel directly into your account. Much bigger conveyor belt than those self checkout machines.
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    Unfortunately, my choice of banks are First Direct with no branches or TSB with vanishingly few branches.

I suppose HSBC may be able to be used, but the local one has closed as well...

In fact I see the banks are looking to close more.

Glad I wasent behind you in the line
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I did choose a quiet time...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 5th Jan 18, 8:06 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,866 Thanks
    ZTD
    Well if the conversation I had at work tonight is a microcosm of the country at large, many, many people are going to be badly burned by the bitcoin mania.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Butti
    • By Butti 5th Jan 18, 9:02 PM
    • 4,634 Posts
    • 12,438 Thanks
    Butti
    Oh dear! You're not recommending it then.
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. (08/12) £22,734. (2/15 )£7790
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S MOB
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 5th Jan 18, 9:51 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,866 Thanks
    ZTD
    Oh dear! You're not recommending it then.
    Originally posted by Butti
    I think all of the easy profits are long gone, now you're looking for greater fools https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory

But if my "informants" have it right, we're talking people concealing "diverted" money from cash transactions from their wives to put into this. I can't see that ending well.

Especially (and my "informants" may have it wrong) the people in question may be dealing in bitcoin futures and not just bitcoin.

The risk at that point has gone off the scale and punched a raggedy hole in the moon...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 6th Jan 18, 7:12 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,866 Thanks
    ZTD
    Trying to put a jacket on my hot-water cylinder.

Hmmm...

The jacket is made up of 4 segments (think impoverished orange) which are bound together by thin plastic straps.

Except whoever installed the hot water tank butted it up against the wall with no room to pass anything behind. So now the four segments occupy 3 quarters of the circumference and the thin plastic straps are holding it together.

It's not good. I'm starting to hear the words "Duct tape" floating through the ether.

Good job I don't have a dog. It would think its breakfast had arrived...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Butti
    • By Butti 6th Jan 18, 11:26 PM
    • 4,634 Posts
    • 12,438 Thanks
    Butti
    This could work ....ish!
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. (08/12) £22,734. (2/15 )£7790
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S MOB
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 6th Jan 18, 11:34 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,866 Thanks
    ZTD
    This could work ....ish!
    Originally posted by Butti
    Oh it does work - it just looks a bit on the crap side...

It is tempting to build some sort of frame round it and hide the whole thing.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 7th Jan 18, 11:58 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,866 Thanks
    ZTD
    Must remember this week - I'm going to have to clean the supermarket out of Irn Bru...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Jan 18, 8:41 PM
    • 54,893 Posts
    • 219,094 Thanks
    beanielou
    Must remember this week - I'm going to have to clean the supermarket out of Irn Bru...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Brest get it quick

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 8th Jan 18, 8:57 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,866 Thanks
    ZTD
    Brest get it quick
    I think we have cross purposes here!
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Jan 18, 9:18 PM
    • 54,893 Posts
    • 219,094 Thanks
    beanielou
    Look mate, it is my national drink

***Keep plodding***
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 8th Jan 18, 9:24 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,866 Thanks
    ZTD
    Look mate, it is my national drink
    Not any more it's not. Now it'll be all different and awful...

"Diet Bru"...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Jan 18, 9:31 PM
    • 54,893 Posts
    • 219,094 Thanks
    beanielou
    Not any more it's not. Now it'll be all different and awful...

"Diet Bru"...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Diet Irob Bru is the drink of the devil.Fact.

***Keep plodding***
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 8th Jan 18, 9:41 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,866 Thanks
    ZTD
    Diet Irob Bru is the drink of the devil.Fact.
    I don't doubt you in the slightest.

New drink on the left...old drink on the right...

OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Jan 18, 9:42 PM
    • 54,893 Posts
    • 219,094 Thanks
    beanielou
    I don't doubt you in the slightest.

New drink on the left...old drink on the right...

Originally posted by ZTD

***Keep plodding***
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 9th Jan 18, 10:11 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,866 Thanks
    ZTD
    A little time ago, I got a puncture which was not repairable, so have been running around on a space-saver. So, I decided to get a "winter" spare wheel. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to get a non-directional one. Today it arrived. I'd ordered it on the 1st. This is 4 day delivery...

So, changing it today, I unfortunately scraped my knuckles on the ground, so my nice new spare wheel ended up smeared with blood...

Oh well, never mind, it'll not be the worst thing that ends up on it...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,889Posts Today

8,247Users online

Martin's Twitter