Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    • 4,426Posts
    • 30,685Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    • 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally 24th Sep 17 at 1:22 PM
    My DH and I have been in debt for 34 Years, apart from brief periods, ever since I was offered my first credit card at the tender age of19.

Our debts were caused by us being impulsive spenders and not being very skilled at budgeting or managing our money, so we know it is our own fault. We always believed that one day we would have more money, mysteriously, and that this would bail us out .

Our full light bulb moment came when we realised, "What if we never have any more money than we do right now?"

A couple of years ago we were coping with the minimum payments, but didn't have enough to overpay on any of them. We were forking out £1300 a month in minimum payments, and the interest alone was £1000 a month .

But then in 2015 our small business started to bring in less, and a family bereavement, and illness affected our ability to work. We could no longer afford the minimum repayments and we were scared we would lose our home. We were stricken with stress and depression .

Step Change shone a light in the darkness for us and they arranged for us to make token payments of £1 a month to our creditors. This saved our sanity and we were reassured that our home was unlikely to be taken from us.

My DH recently turned 55 and drew out his pension so that we could make full and final offers to our creditors. All but one accepted an offer of 50% of what we owed (which is all we had to offer). We are continuing negotiations with the final creditor and hope to be debt free by Christmas .

Being so close to being debt free has made me realise what a heavy burden the debts have been all these years, like living our lives wearing lead boots.

Once we are debt free we will still need to live very frugally because we have no emergency fund or savings, and our income can be irregular. I hope that starting a diary will help to focus me on frugal living, avoid impulsive spends, and keep my spirits up. Because frugal living can be a lonely and isolating experience.

This site and Step Change has helped me so much, and I hope that my diary will help to inspire others that it's never too late to change your life .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 18-11-2017 at 9:49 AM.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
Page 80
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 12th Jan 18, 9:21 AM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 30,685 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Happy Friday everyone .

I just did my morning walk so I'm feeling good . The park looked beautiful this morning with frost on the grass and streaky skies. So far today I've done 4570 steps, 20 floors and 32 active minutes .

It's DS2's 23rd birthday today . So I need to wrap up his presents (he never wakes up until lunchtime, he's permanently on American time).

Then a day of getting lots of work done, hopefully.

Have a great Friday .
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 12th Jan 18, 9:22 AM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 30,685 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    It should be a NSD too
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 12th Jan 18, 9:29 AM
    • 1,616 Posts
    • 14,087 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Happy birthday to DS

Have a good day x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 12th Jan 18, 12:22 PM
    • 4,813 Posts
    • 16,700 Thanks
    abba1772
    Happy birthday to ds xx
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS July 17 £3572.57 NOW £983.26
    POAMAYC 2011 £6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £4430.14
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 12th Jan 18, 7:06 PM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 30,685 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Happy birthday to DS

Have a good day x
    Originally posted by WannabeFree
    Happy birthday to ds xx
    Originally posted by abba1772
    Thanks . He wants a takeaway and to watch a film with us so the food is ordered and DS2 is going to choose a film. No idea what we'll end up watching .

I had two PA surveys today but YG is being useless at the moment .

I've done 11,224 steps so far today, but the takeaway and birthday cake won't help my weight .

Have a great evening everyone .
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 12th Jan 18, 7:07 PM
    • 8,835 Posts
    • 51,762 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Happy Birthday DS2! Hope you are all having a nice evening together Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in 2018 30/60
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 12th Jan 18, 7:13 PM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 30,685 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks Lucky .

I haven't even seen him yet, we've been communicating by Messenger . His presents have disappeared from outside his room and he will appear when the food arrives .

He's usually in a good mood when it's someone's birthday, so I'm sure we'll have a good time .
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 12th Jan 18, 7:38 PM
    • 1,616 Posts
    • 14,087 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Have a lovely evening x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Jan 18, 8:14 PM
    • 55,015 Posts
    • 219,637 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a good night
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 12th Jan 18, 8:47 PM
    • 6,183 Posts
    • 22,712 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Enjoy your movie HHOD, hope DS enjoys his birthday.

Yay to all the steps xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £5419.83 - 08/04/18 - 76.61% paid off
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Jan 18, 9:39 AM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 10,738 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Hope you all had a good evening?

You do keep on inspiring me to actually put my fitbit on, and make sure I move more.

Enjoy your Saturday outing. I've just been out to food the birds and its actually quite nice and bright out.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 13th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    • 4,811 Posts
    • 27,317 Thanks
    carbootcrazy

Enjoy your Saturday outing. I've just been out to food the birds and its actually quite nice and bright out.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Ditto!

Have just been and fed some of our feathered visitors too although I'm a bit late today. OH buys big sacks of wild bird food but I add to it with stored apples from some of the apple trees and household bits and bobs. We usually see a pheasant or 2 in the garden (we're surrounded by open farmland and little copses) but this morning there were 2 males and 5 females all hoping for food. Would be cheaper to keep a whole menagerie of pets than feed all the birds that visit us. I don't really begrudge the money though, they give is lots of joy and entertainment.

I hope you enjoy your Saturday outing, HH, and that you and all other visitors to this diary have a good weekend
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2018: Jan-May: £1988.00+. June: £315.12

Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £9618
    . Under £10K at long last.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Jan 18, 5:26 PM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 30,685 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Have a lovely evening x
    Originally posted by WannabeFree
    Have a good night
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Enjoy your movie HHOD, hope DS enjoys his birthday.

Yay to all the steps xx
    Originally posted by mummytogirls
    Thanks all, I think he enjoyed his birthday
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Jan 18, 5:29 PM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 30,685 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor

You do keep on inspiring me to actually put my fitbit on, and make sure I move more.

Originally posted by redofromstart
    I've done 13,268 steps so far today . Glad I'm encouraging you to do more steps .

Ditto!

Have just been and fed some of our feathered visitors too although I'm a bit late today. OH buys big sacks of wild bird food but I add to it with stored apples from some of the apple trees and household bits and bobs. We usually see a pheasant or 2 in the garden (we're surrounded by open farmland and little copses) but this morning there were 2 males and 5 females all hoping for food. Would be cheaper to keep a whole menagerie of pets than feed all the birds that visit us. I don't really begrudge the money though, they give is lots of joy and entertainment.

I hope you enjoy your Saturday outing, HH, and that you and all other visitors to this diary have a good weekend
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy

Your feathered friends sound lovely Carboot . I enoyed my Saturday jaunt.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Jan 18, 5:37 PM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 30,685 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I hope everyone is enjoying Saturday .

I weighed myself this morning and I've put on 2lb . I've been trying to wean myself off fat and sugar, but I've obviously still been having too many calorie, and Chinese takeaway and birthday cake don't help .

So I need to diet properly which means a food diary. I'll write down everything I eat with an estimate of the calories and that will keep me on the straight and narrow.

Today I've had/will have:
    Breakfast - porridge
    Lunch - cheese sandwich and satsuma
    Snack - banana
    Drinks - skinny latte + cider
    Dinner - pasta bake

I've already done 13,268 steps today, so jf I stick to my meal plan it will be a good day .
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Jan 18, 5:49 PM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 30,685 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I enjoyed my Saturday jaunt and didn't spend too much. I dropped off a rucksack and a carrier bag full of clutter at the charity shop .

I spent £2.20 on the bus, £2.65 on a latte, £2.20 on a mug in the sale (reduced from £7 ) and £14 on food in Mr T.

The food was over budget but DH wanted crisps and DS1 wanted chocolate, plus I got reduced price Actimel to save money next week on my big shop. Other than that it was just bread, fruit, milk and cheese. I need to avoid any more top up shops apart from todays.

I thought I'd got all the food we could possibly need, but on the bus home I got a text from DS3 saying "Did you get the chicken nuggets?" I hadn't of course .

When I got home I cleaned out the furry moron, emptied all the bins, washed and dried two loads of towels, and sorted out some more stuff for the charity shop .

I think I'll deserve my cider tonight . Have a great Saturday everyone .
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 13th Jan 18, 7:18 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 5,165 Thanks
    Nicnak
    How was today? Did you have your usual morning saunter? x
    September 6th 2017 - Updated 13th May 2018
    Credit Card £0 now: £0 Tesco Loan £7500 = £0 Consolidation £15,000 = £13,855 Total = £25,330 £13,855 43% gone EMF #252 = £700/£1000
    Sealed pot challenge #589
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #71
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Jan 18, 7:19 PM
    • 5,832 Posts
    • 38,536 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Just caught up with your diary HH, it doesn't half move fast! Glad DS had a good birthday, another one here with January birthdays in the family.

Enjoy your cider xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £296.07
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £2000/£10,000
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Jan 18, 7:27 PM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 30,685 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    How was today? Did you have your usual morning saunter? x
    Originally posted by Nicnak
    I did and it was great fun despite the rain. Costalot was practically deserted

Just caught up with your diary HH, it doesn't half move fast! Glad DS had a good birthday, another one here with January birthdays in the family.

Enjoy your cider xx
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    Thanks SA. What is it with these January birthdays
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 13th Jan 18, 7:30 PM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 12,242 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Just arrivied late behind SA!

I wouldn’t worry too much about the weight gain. I’m sure things will adjust themselves next weigh-in.

Glad DS2 enjoyed his birthday. What film did you all watch in the end?

Re January birthdays my only input is that the ex-hubby and two ex-partners were all born in January! If there ever is a next time I’m checking for birth months and going for someone born in the other eleven months!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 20/05/2018: £646.59
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 35!
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,187Posts Today

8,250Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin