Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    • 4,426Posts
    • 30,729Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    • 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally 24th Sep 17 at 1:22 PM
    My DH and I have been in debt for 34 Years, apart from brief periods, ever since I was offered my first credit card at the tender age of19.

Our debts were caused by us being impulsive spenders and not being very skilled at budgeting or managing our money, so we know it is our own fault. We always believed that one day we would have more money, mysteriously, and that this would bail us out .

Our full light bulb moment came when we realised, "What if we never have any more money than we do right now?"

A couple of years ago we were coping with the minimum payments, but didn't have enough to overpay on any of them. We were forking out £1300 a month in minimum payments, and the interest alone was £1000 a month .

But then in 2015 our small business started to bring in less, and a family bereavement, and illness affected our ability to work. We could no longer afford the minimum repayments and we were scared we would lose our home. We were stricken with stress and depression .

Step Change shone a light in the darkness for us and they arranged for us to make token payments of £1 a month to our creditors. This saved our sanity and we were reassured that our home was unlikely to be taken from us.

My DH recently turned 55 and drew out his pension so that we could make full and final offers to our creditors. All but one accepted an offer of 50% of what we owed (which is all we had to offer). We are continuing negotiations with the final creditor and hope to be debt free by Christmas .

Being so close to being debt free has made me realise what a heavy burden the debts have been all these years, like living our lives wearing lead boots.

Once we are debt free we will still need to live very frugally because we have no emergency fund or savings, and our income can be irregular. I hope that starting a diary will help to focus me on frugal living, avoid impulsive spends, and keep my spirits up. Because frugal living can be a lonely and isolating experience.

This site and Step Change has helped me so much, and I hope that my diary will help to inspire others that it's never too late to change your life .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 18-11-2017 at 9:49 AM.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
Page 79
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 10th Jan 18, 8:51 PM
    • 1,993 Posts
    • 12,263 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    You’re right about the top ups and Christmas. That’s why I like getting my groceries monthly on line and just top up on perishables like milk if needed. As I don’t drive it also saves my time at weekends when I could be grocery shopping and getting taxis. I’d much rather spend my precious weekends doing something I actually want to do!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 23/06/2018: £665.09
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 35!
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 10th Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 30,729 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Yes I can see many advantages in online shops. The trouble is they send over ripe fruit sometimes and stuff that needs using up within two days . I always rummage at the back of the shelf for the longest possible use by date .

Also because I work from home it's an excuse to get out of the house. If I worked out of the house full time I would definitely do it online though .
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 10th Jan 18, 9:40 PM
    • 6,183 Posts
    • 22,714 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Have you tried Mr Al's HHOD? Im a convert now xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £5419.83 - 08/04/18 - 76.61% paid off
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 10th Jan 18, 9:41 PM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 30,729 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Not really, I guess I should check it out .
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 10th Jan 18, 9:48 PM
    • 1,624 Posts
    • 14,180 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Or meal plan and add things to the basket on Mr T, write a list and only take the money plus a couple of pounds for differences Can't overspend if you don't have the chance too

Hope DS decides to have a family take away

I have all 3 smalls birthdays soon They all fall within 2 weeks I didn't plan that very well
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 10th Jan 18, 9:57 PM
    • 1,909 Posts
    • 11,612 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    I understand where your coming from about getting out HH . I guess willpower is needed then !
    CC1 £3475 May 2018
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 10th Jan 18, 10:07 PM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 30,729 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Or meal plan and add things to the basket on Mr T, write a list and only take the money plus a couple of pounds for differences Can't overspend if you don't have the chance too

I have all 3 smalls birthdays soon They all fall within 2 weeks I didn't plan that very well
    Originally posted by WannabeFree
    That's a very good idea Wannabe about putting in the basket online to see how much it comes to .

to three birthdays in two weeks!

I understand where your coming from about getting out HH . I guess willpower is needed then !
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    My will power needs strengthening at the moment Cumbria, it's the Christmas effect .
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 11th Jan 18, 7:20 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 5,165 Thanks
    Nicnak
    I have no will power either. It's like I just can't focus. x
    September 6th 2017 - Updated 13th May 2018
    Credit Card £0 now: £0 Tesco Loan £7500 = £0 Consolidation £15,000 = £13,855 Total = £25,330 £13,855 43% gone EMF #252 = £700/£1000
    Sealed pot challenge #589
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #71
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 11th Jan 18, 7:48 PM
    • 4,815 Posts
    • 27,341 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I hope you manage to arrange a birthday evening for DS that you are all happy with, HairyHand. Whatever you all do I hope it's fun

Well, it never rains but it pours in Carboot world. I had to go somewhere important yesterday morning and my car wouldn't start. Dead as a dodo. OH took out the battery and took it to the nearest battery suppliers (quite a journey as we live way out 'in the sticks'). They tested it and it was kaput so he brought a new one back for me and fitted it. Car started like a dream this morning. I was dreading it being something more serious than the battery as my car is 15 years old (but has been cared for and has plenty of life left in it yet). It still looks good too, it isn't a rust bucket. I'd really like to keep it going until I'm debt free as my savings are purely to make Full&Final settlements not for buying a car. A car is essential here, no bus rpute nearer than 3 miles away and that's an infrequent service anyway. Our nearest village shop of any sort is 4.5 miles away.

OH said he was feeling sorry for me as I'd had quite a lot of bad luck to cope with lately so when he bought a newspaper on his way back with the battery he bought me a Lucky Dip for last night's lottery. We don't do the lottery normally. It only went and won £25 for 3 correct numbers. The battery was £50 so with the winnings it turned out half price. Cheered me up no end.

I hope everyone has had a good day. Been drizzly and foggy here most of the day, not exactly conducive to lifting the spirits
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 11-01-2018 at 7:52 PM.
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2018: Jan-May: £1988.00+. June: £315.12

Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £9618
    . Under £10K at long last.
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 11th Jan 18, 8:03 PM
    • 8,840 Posts
    • 51,800 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Great news carboot. Congratulations Xx

Your boy’s birthday is a week before my DS2’s Hairy. January birthdays eh?! Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in 2018 31/60
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 11th Jan 18, 8:05 PM
    • 4,808 Posts
    • 16,732 Thanks
    abba1772

Originally posted by WannabeFree
    I thought i was bad for three kids birthdays in 4 weeks
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS July 17 £3572.57 NOW £983.26
    POAMAYC 2011 £6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £4430.14
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Jan 18, 8:23 PM
    • 55,063 Posts
    • 219,989 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the wee win car boot
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 11th Jan 18, 8:34 PM
    • 6,183 Posts
    • 22,714 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Another one with a January birthday child... also January birthday husband .

Hope you've managed your walk today HHOD xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £5419.83 - 08/04/18 - 76.61% paid off
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 11th Jan 18, 8:46 PM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 30,729 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Great news carboot. Congratulations Xx

Your boy’s birthday is a week before my DS2’s Hairy. January birthdays eh?! Xx
    Originally posted by please-let-me-be-lucky

I thought i was bad for three kids birthdays in 4 weeks
    Originally posted by abba1772

Another one with a January birthday child... also January birthday husband .

Hope you've managed your walk today HHOD xx
    Originally posted by mummytogirls
    January birthdays are terrible . I know one of them is my fault but I have five birthdays (mainly nieces and nephews) this month.

I didn't do my walk today MTG but I will tomorrow .
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 11th Jan 18, 8:48 PM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 30,729 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I have no will power either. It's like I just can't focus. x
    Originally posted by Nicnak
    I'm hoping it will get better as we get further from Christmas and the sales end . I just need to avoid shops at the moment .
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 11th Jan 18, 8:51 PM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 30,729 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I hope you manage to arrange a birthday evening for DS that you are all happy with, HairyHand. Whatever you all do I hope it's fun

Well, it never rains but it pours in Carboot world. I had to go somewhere important yesterday morning and my car wouldn't start. Dead as a dodo. OH took out the battery and took it to the nearest battery suppliers (quite a journey as we live way out 'in the sticks'). They tested it and it was kaput so he brought a new one back for me and fitted it. Car started like a dream this morning. I was dreading it being something more serious than the battery as my car is 15 years old (but has been cared for and has plenty of life left in it yet). It still looks good too, it isn't a rust bucket. I'd really like to keep it going until I'm debt free as my savings are purely to make Full&Final settlements not for buying a car. A car is essential here, no bus rpute nearer than 3 miles away and that's an infrequent service anyway. Our nearest village shop of any sort is 4.5 miles away.

OH said he was feeling sorry for me as I'd had quite a lot of bad luck to cope with lately so when he bought a newspaper on his way back with the battery he bought me a Lucky Dip for last night's lottery. We don't do the lottery normally. It only went and won £25 for 3 correct numbers. The battery was £50 so with the winnings it turned out half price. Cheered me up no end.

I hope everyone has had a good day. Been drizzly and foggy here most of the day, not exactly conducive to lifting the spirits
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Bad news about the car battery Carboot but what a clever OH you have for being able to change the battery for you . Great news about the lottery win though .

Where you live sounds lovely, no good for me though as I can't drive .
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 11th Jan 18, 9:01 PM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 30,729 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I've been a busy bee today .

I did my first session of volunteering this morning (which was fun and very interesting), did a couple of hours work in the office, and then bought the rest of DS2's birthday presents this afternoon. I hope he likes them. .

That's the only good thing about a January birthday, you can get presents in the sales .

I've done 10,804 steps so far and have been good with my eating too .

Tomorrow will be a fully home office based day so I should get lots of work done before the weekend.

I hope everyone has had a good Thursday so far .
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Jan 18, 9:07 PM
    • 55,063 Posts
    • 219,989 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the volunteering
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Jan 18, 9:28 PM
    • 1,765 Posts
    • 10,783 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Nice high steps too
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 11th Jan 18, 9:54 PM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 30,729 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Good news on the volunteering
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Nice high steps too
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Thanks guys
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

85Posts Today

1,515Users online

Martin's Twitter