Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    • 4,410Posts
    • 30,555Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    • 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally 24th Sep 17 at 1:22 PM
    My DH and I have been in debt for 34 Years, apart from brief periods, ever since I was offered my first credit card at the tender age of19.

Our debts were caused by us being impulsive spenders and not being very skilled at budgeting or managing our money, so we know it is our own fault. We always believed that one day we would have more money, mysteriously, and that this would bail us out .

Our full light bulb moment came when we realised, "What if we never have any more money than we do right now?"

A couple of years ago we were coping with the minimum payments, but didn't have enough to overpay on any of them. We were forking out 1300 a month in minimum payments, and the interest alone was 1000 a month .

But then in 2015 our small business started to bring in less, and a family bereavement, and illness affected our ability to work. We could no longer afford the minimum repayments and we were scared we would lose our home. We were stricken with stress and depression .

Step Change shone a light in the darkness for us and they arranged for us to make token payments of 1 a month to our creditors. This saved our sanity and we were reassured that our home was unlikely to be taken from us.

My DH recently turned 55 and drew out his pension so that we could make full and final offers to our creditors. All but one accepted an offer of 50% of what we owed (which is all we had to offer). We are continuing negotiations with the final creditor and hope to be debt free by Christmas .

Being so close to being debt free has made me realise what a heavy burden the debts have been all these years, like living our lives wearing lead boots.

Once we are debt free we will still need to live very frugally because we have no emergency fund or savings, and our income can be irregular. I hope that starting a diary will help to focus me on frugal living, avoid impulsive spends, and keep my spirits up. Because frugal living can be a lonely and isolating experience.

This site and Step Change has helped me so much, and I hope that my diary will help to inspire others that it's never too late to change your life .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 18-11-2017 at 9:49 AM.
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
Page 75
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 5th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 30,555 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    With both of us self-employed it can be a real problem at times .

I expect we'll feel less flat soon when we get used to our normal routine. Thank goodness it's Friday
    • elizabethhull
    • By elizabethhull 5th Jan 18, 9:25 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 1,264 Thanks
    elizabethhull
    Happy friday everyone
    Apart from that it should be a NSD (hopefully) and it will be another AFD. I haven't drunk any alcohol in 2018 yet .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thank you for clearing up the mystery of what an AFD was !! I knew NSD, but not AFD. Not one of my temptations - can't stand the stuff, so am teetotal by taste rather than health or morals !

Xmas is wonderful but very disruptive somehow - it takes a while to feel you know what you're doing, what day of the week it is etc.
    We still have goodies left, so eating sensibly is on the back burner.

I am hugely impressed with your step count.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 5th Jan 18, 9:37 PM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 30,555 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I really enjoy red wine and cider but sleep better when I don't have it, so I usually save it as a weekend treat. You're lucky in a way that you don't like it.

I agree Christmas is disruptive, it's nice knowing what day it is again .

I'm pleased that our goodies have run out but then there are five of us to eat them!
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 5th Jan 18, 9:44 PM
    • 6,183 Posts
    • 22,710 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Yay to the making good progress with the office declutter HHOD. I hate jobs like that!!!

My job is very interesting and varied, so busy from the moment we arrive at school until the moment we leave. Certainly never a minute to get bored and totally like no other job I've had. I actually thought it was going into an easy job to fit around the kids . I actually love to hate it sometimes!!! Marketing is only a small proportion of what I do.

Glad youve got your plan in order though xx
    Mummytogirls x

23164.32 - 12/12/10
    5419.83 - 08/04/18 - 76.61% paid off
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 5th Jan 18, 9:48 PM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 30,555 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I don't like de-cluttering paperwork as it's such slow progress, but the office looks so much nicer .

A job where the time goes quickly is a real blessing I think.
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 5th Jan 18, 9:51 PM
    • 6,183 Posts
    • 22,710 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    You need to keep up to keeping it looking nice (easier said than done I know ).

It is but the speed I get through my weeks actually scares me sometimes. I feel like I've blinked and the girls are now 11 and nearly 9. Makes me a bit sad if I think too much about it!! xx
    Mummytogirls x

23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 5th Jan 18, 10:02 PM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 30,555 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    The years do go quickly so you must enjoy them while they're young. Sometimes I wish mine were young again, but when they're grown up you can know them as adults which is really nice, so it's swings and roundabouts.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 5th Jan 18, 10:47 PM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 30,555 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I've done 10,200 steps and 17 flights of stairs today and I haven't even left the house . The weight should be dropping off me .
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 6th Jan 18, 10:46 AM
    • 4,804 Posts
    • 27,298 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Sorry not been around much but have just found the time for a catch-up of all your news. Sounds as if everyone enjoyed the Christmas and New Year get-togethers, It's so lovely to be with family members at those times.

I empathise about the trying to eat up the unhealthy festive foods. I thought I'd cracked it as we don't 'do' much of a Christmas/New Year but I did have a few extra treats in but they'd pretty much all been consumed. Then OH went shopping on Wednesday for a few bits to save me going (always a bad thing) and came back with 3 packs of 6 mince pies for a total of 1 that were on clearance. That's 18 pies that we didn't need but OH is always keen to snap up a bargain!!! They are going down very slowly, they'll probably be around until February at this rate as I've vowed not to eat a single one.

I was thinking of you, HH and your BIL as my SIL phoned me on Tuesday to tell me that my brother (3 years younger than me) has been diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer. He had had treatment for bladder cancer and was doing well but it has spread to his lung. I'm baffled as to why it wasn't discovered until such an advanced stage but he wasn't showing any symptoms until very recently when he had problems breathing which he put down to the long and lingering chest cold he'd been having. Was never a smoker so just goes to show lung cancer can strike anyone however healthily they try to live

He's at home and as an operation and radiotherapy have been ruled out by his consultant he will have to rely on chemo. They have given him 'months' which is such a blow but apparently he is to be given Immunotherapy (which is something I'd never heard of). His first course is on Friday. Apparently it is used widely in USA but not so commonly here. Any extension of his life will be a blessing. Apparently it gives a few extra months, it isn't a cure.

We hadn't been particularly close in later years, the fact that he lives about 300 miles from me being a major factor, but I'm planning on making the trip to see him as soon as my lingering cold is gone. Infections from visitors is the last thing he needs right now. My old car is playing up and as I'll be going on my own I might check out train travel instead. Money (more like the lack of) is a bit of an issue at the moment though

I hope you enjoy your charity shop and coffee treat. HH. Take care
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 06-01-2018 at 10:51 AM.
    Make 10 A Day Challenge 2018: Jan-May: 1988.00+. June: 280.77

Original Debt: 56804 (@02/13). Now: 9618
    . Under 10K at long last.
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 6th Jan 18, 11:37 AM
    • 923 Posts
    • 5,165 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Is it your usual Saturday this morning? X
    September 6th 2017 - Updated 13th May 2018
    Credit Card 0 now: 0 Tesco Loan 7500 = 0 Consolidation 15,000 = 13,855 Total = 25,330 13,855 43% gone EMF #252 = 700/1000
    Sealed pot challenge #589
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #71
    • jwil
    • By jwil 6th Jan 18, 12:00 PM
    • 8,607 Posts
    • 26,515 Thanks
    jwil
    Happy new year HHOD, just had an epic catch up! Your 2017 was really successful.

Congrats on the decluttering, have you checked out the Kon Mari way of folding clothes? It saves so much space!

Hope 2018 is a good one for you! xx
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • jwil
    • By jwil 6th Jan 18, 12:00 PM
    • 8,607 Posts
    • 26,515 Thanks
    jwil
    Sorry to hear about your brother CBC
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 6th Jan 18, 1:21 PM
    • 6,183 Posts
    • 22,710 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Enjoy your Saturday jaunt HHOD xx
    Mummytogirls x

23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 6th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 30,555 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Sorry not been around much but have just found the time for a catch-up of all your news. Sounds as if everyone enjoyed the Christmas and New Year get-togethers, It's so lovely to be with family members at those times.

I empathise about the trying to eat up the unhealthy festive foods. I thought I'd cracked it as we don't 'do' much of a Christmas/New Year but I did have a few extra treats in but they'd pretty much all been consumed. Then OH went shopping on Wednesday for a few bits to save me going (always a bad thing) and came back with 3 packs of 6 mince pies for a total of 1 that were on clearance. That's 18 pies that we didn't need but OH is always keen to snap up a bargain!!! They are going down very slowly, they'll probably be around until February at this rate as I've vowed not to eat a single one.

I was thinking of you, HH and your BIL as my SIL phoned me on Tuesday to tell me that my brother (3 years younger than me) has been diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer. He had had treatment for bladder cancer and was doing well but it has spread to his lung. I'm baffled as to why it wasn't discovered until such an advanced stage but he wasn't showing any symptoms until very recently when he had problems breathing which he put down to the long and lingering chest cold he'd been having. Was never a smoker so just goes to show lung cancer can strike anyone however healthily they try to live

He's at home and as an operation and radiotherapy have been ruled out by his consultant he will have to rely on chemo. They have given him 'months' which is such a blow but apparently he is to be given Immunotherapy (which is something I'd never heard of). His first course is on Friday. Apparently it is used widely in USA but not so commonly here. Any extension of his life will be a blessing. Apparently it gives a few extra months, it isn't a cure.

We hadn't been particularly close in later years, the fact that he lives about 300 miles from me being a major factor, but I'm planning on making the trip to see him as soon as my lingering cold is gone. Infections from visitors is the last thing he needs right now. My old car is playing up and as I'll be going on my own I might check out train travel instead. Money (more like the lack of) is a bit of an issue at the moment though

I hope you enjoy your charity shop and coffee treat. HH. Take care
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    I'm really sorry to hear about your brother Carboot, that's awful news . I know what's it's like because I lost one of my sisters to pancreatic cancer three years ago. She was only 53 . It's a good idea to go and see him, you'll be glad you did later on.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 6th Jan 18, 4:02 PM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 30,555 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Is it your usual Saturday this morning? X
    Originally posted by Nicnak
    Enjoy your Saturday jaunt HHOD xx
    Originally posted by mummytogirls
    Thanks . I had a good jaunt but I'll be glad when the sales end . Last January I liked a tablecloth which I didn't buy as it was 25 . Today I was magnetically drawn by a sale sign and saw the exact same tablecloth reduced to 12 and eight matching cloth napkins for 8, reduced from 25. Before I knew it I was at the till buying them . Still it will cover our shabby table when we have visitors and will be be cheaper than buying a new table . I paid 20 for the lot instead of 50 .

I also bought a calendar for DS3 for 5.99, refuced from 9.99. Then in a charity shop I saw two small white star shaped bowls for 2.49 which will be perfect for nuts or olives at our Christmas party next year. The bowls are microwaveable and dishwasher proof too .

Then I spent 9.89 in Mr T on bananas, satsumas, a fruit pot, cheese and eggs. So quite a spendy day in all .

It's really hard to stop spending money once you start and sales signs are really hard to walk past .

I did drop off a rucksack of books, some place mats I hated and some other odds and ends at the charity shop though, and I enjoyed my latte and didn't buy any food in Costalot .

I've tidied up my underwear drawer and put some laundry on to wash. Now I'm having a break before I clean out the furry moron, empty all the bins and put some towels on to wash. DS3 uses a clean towel every day .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 06-01-2018 at 5:41 PM.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 6th Jan 18, 4:05 PM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 30,555 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Happy new year HHOD, just had an epic catch up! Your 2017 was really successful.

Congrats on the decluttering, have you checked out the Kon Mari way of folding clothes? It saves so much space!

Hope 2018 is a good one for you! xx
    Originally posted by jwil
    Thanks jwil . I hadn't heard of Kon Mari until I read you thread so I'll read up about her. I'm really in the mood for de-cluttering at the moment, so I'm trying to blitz the whole house before it wears off .
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 6th Jan 18, 5:32 PM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 30,555 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I've done most of my jobs for today .

- Clean out furry moron DONE
    - Empty all bins DONE
    - Put rubbish in wheely bins DONE
    - Wash laundry DONE
    - Wash towels
    - Tidy underwear drawer DONE
    - Put dishwasher on DONE
    - Sort out more clutter to drop at charity shop DONE

I'm having a rest now and it's DH's turn to cook dinner .
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 6th Jan 18, 5:40 PM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 30,555 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Tomorrow I want to:

- Wash more laundry
    - Put some stray Christmas bits in the void
    - Go through the clothes stored in the void
    - Wash bay window in living room
    - Wash living room curtains & nets

Washing and drying DS3's shirt ready for his shift is important, and I really want to clean the window and put the Christmas bits away. It's going to be another busy day .
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 6th Jan 18, 6:19 PM
    • 6,183 Posts
    • 22,710 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Brilliant bargains though HHOD. I reckon it was fate that drew you to the sign today!!! I desperately need a new table cloth as kids have drawn on ours but I seem to keep forgetting!!!

Well done on getting your jobs done xx
    Mummytogirls x

23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 6th Jan 18, 7:22 PM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 30,555 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks MTG .

My eating has been quite good today . I've had:

Breakfast - porridge with skim milk
    Lunch - Cheese sandwich & satsuma
    Snack - banana & slice of toast
    Dinner - DH is cooking pasta bake
    Drinks - tea with skim milk, water & skinny latte

I'll have some cider tonight but that's my Saturday treat and my first alcohol in 2018 . I've got 13lb to lose and I'm hoping to lose 1lb by next Saturday which is my weigh day .

I've also done 12,898 steps and 27 stairs so far today whi h should help .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

197Posts Today

1,995Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin