Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• Hopefully that will get updated pretty soon then and save you the hassle of chasing it - well done for keeping the letter safe "just in case" though - I'm always suspicious about stuff like that too!

Clearscore is the one free credit file service I've not signed up with yet - must get around to that at some stage just so I can keep an eye on things there as well.

Ouchy to the chicken breasts thing - at least you know for the future. were they in the wrong section of the cabinet do you think? If so I'd be inclined to phone, or say something on social media perhaps with the store tagged in?
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Good news, the doctors letter was finally ready, hallelujah :j:j:j. DH collected it and we're going to post it tomorrow with a covering letter. It's a great letter too, almost like we dictated it :T. DH has four health conditions which are all listed, so hopefully the creditor will decide they'd better take the money now while they still can :o. It will take the creditor a week to 'receive' the letter based on previous experience, but at least we're closer to the finish line :o.

Today I also signed up for my free Experian credit report through Martin's link and I also signed up to Clearscore. Both of them are fully up to date and record my three debts as having a zero balance and being partially settled. I'm really pleased with that. In four years time the defaults should slide off and I'll look like a financial saint :A :rotfl:

In other news I personally had a NSD day, but DH had to pay £20 for the doctors letter. Hopefully it will knock a lot more than that off our f & f settlement.

I got another You Gov survey (three in one week, what's going on there?) but didn't have time to do it, so that will go on tomorrow's list.

Have a relaxing evening everyone :).
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • The chicken breast was directly behind the chicken drumsticks with very similar packaging Essex. But it's my own fault as I should learn to read! An expensive mistake, but DS3 will enjoy a rare treat :).
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • Great news that you have the doctor's letter and you are happy with it :T.

Boo to 'non-cheep' chicken :rotfl: (Sorry, poor I know!! :o) Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • :rotfl: :rotfl: chicken nightmare!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Great news on the Dr's letter.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Thanks beanie, it's seemed a long time coming and I'm not very good at waiting :D
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,282 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Glad the doctors letter finally arrived, although I think the £20 charge is extortionate, if it saves you money in the long run it's worth it.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    20 quid is cheap.
    Have heard of up to 100 quid believe it or not.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • 100 quid surely not :eek::eek::eek: It does seem a lot when people who need them are often Ill or on a low budget, but you don't have much choice in th end :(.

Today's goals are to have a NSD, do the You Gov survey I didn't have time to do yesterday, and write a covering letter and post it to the creditor with the doctors letter. Then I'll have to be very patient for a week, which I'm not very good at :o. DH is much more patient than me and it's not even my debt :).

After that DH and I have to write and cost a proposal to try and get a new job in, it's only a short term project but most of ours are and the customer needs the work fairly urgently so hopefully they'll pay quickly if they go for it :D.

Have a productive day everyone.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure