Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 10,531Posts
    • 84,182Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    • 24th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally 24th Sep 17 at 12:22 PM
    My DH and I have been in debt for 34 Years, apart from brief periods, ever since I was offered my first credit card at the tender age of19.

Our debts were caused by us being impulsive spenders and not being very skilled at budgeting or managing our money, so we know it is our own fault. We always believed that one day we would have more money, mysteriously, and that this would bail us out .

Our full light bulb moment came when we realised, "What if we never have any more money than we do right now?"

A couple of years ago we were coping with the minimum payments, but didn't have enough to overpay on any of them. We were forking out £1300 a month in minimum payments, and the interest alone was £1000 a month .

But then in 2015 our small business started to bring in less, and a family bereavement, and illness affected our ability to work. We could no longer afford the minimum repayments and we were scared we would lose our home. We were stricken with stress and depression .

Step Change shone a light in the darkness for us and they arranged for us to make token payments of £1 a month to our creditors. This saved our sanity and we were reassured that our home was unlikely to be taken from us.

My DH recently turned 55 and drew out his pension so that we could make full and final offers to our creditors. All but one accepted an offer of 50% of what we owed (which is all we had to offer). We are continuing negotiations with the final creditor and hope to be debt free by Christmas .

Being so close to being debt free has made me realise what a heavy burden the debts have been all these years, like living our lives wearing lead boots.

Once we are debt free we will still need to live very frugally because we have no emergency fund or savings, and our income can be irregular. I hope that starting a diary will help to focus me on frugal living, avoid impulsive spends, and keep my spirits up. Because frugal living can be a lonely and isolating experience.

This site and Step Change has helped me so much, and I hope that my diary will help to inspire others that it's never too late to change your life .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 18-11-2017 at 8:49 AM.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £3,000/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £2,005/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £159.37/£500
    PREMIUM BONDS ME = £200. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £200
Page 488
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th Jun 19, 1:52 PM
    • 10,531 Posts
    • 84,182 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Happy Friday everyone.

I'm really tired again today. I slept quite well at first but then woke up at 5am and couldn't go back to sleep. I think I was over tired and my feet and back hurt. School was fine, it was dry and bright for once, but I was so tired that I was glad to come home, which is not like me . One of my colleagues asked me if I was going to the school disco tonight and I said "God no!" .

Then I came home to the news that our new oven has stopped working . As you'll probably remember we've had the oven less than three months, so it's unbelievable that it's gone wrong already I've left it to DH to sort out with Hotpoint as I'd probably end up screaming at them on the phone . So most of the frozen food we bought yesterday we won't be able to eat as it requires an oven to cook it with .

I just wanted to sit down and relax this afternoon, but couldn't relax until I'd put some laundry on as the laundry basket lid wouldn't shut. I also emptied the kitchen bins as they were full.

Now finally I can relax and I don't intend to move off this sofa until it's time for my shower and cooking dinner! Thank goodness it's the weekend as I feel at the end of my rope!
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 14-06-2019 at 1:54 PM.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 14th Jun 19, 3:18 PM
    • 11,069 Posts
    • 40,479 Thanks
    jwil
    Great news about the freezer and kitchen floor. Hope the oven issue isn't anything major
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th Jun 19, 3:54 PM
    • 10,531 Posts
    • 84,182 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thank you Jwil .
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jun 19, 4:00 PM
    • 4,608 Posts
    • 29,343 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    You couldn't make it up about the oven. I know you use the oven lots too!
    Good idea to let OH sort it.
    Hope you have your feet up with a cup of tea
    Car costs savings: 500
    Xmas savings 250
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN?
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th Jun 19, 4:02 PM
    • 10,531 Posts
    • 84,182 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I've updated my list of worries. I've been able to cross a couple more off but I've had to add a new worry too.

- We need to go away this weekend to collect DS3 and clear his flat DONE
    - I need to order DS1's birthday presents (his birthday is less than a week away) DONE
    - We need to prepare our annual accounts (so that DS3 can apply for next year's student loan on time)
    - This weekend will be very expensive It was but it's over now
    - We need to find £350 to buy a new freezer DONE
    - The house is a pigsty
    - I won't have time to do any de-cluttering or housework this weekend
    - DS2 is in South America
    -There is no food in the house DONE
    - Our oven has stopped working

We're going to finish preparing the paperwork for the accountants next week, but we also need to apply for DS3's student finance next week so the accounts won't be done in time. The trouble is they will look at the year we got the pension, so we need to write to them and explain it was a one off and can they take the previous year's income instead as that is more representative.

Apart from that that our main problem is the new oven is not working, the house is still a cluttered pigsty and I'm still exhausted .

However, DH has made a couple of sales today which lessens my money worries and I managed to post father's day cards to my dad and stepdad today .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 14-06-2019 at 4:12 PM.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th Jun 19, 4:08 PM
    • 10,531 Posts
    • 84,182 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    You couldn't make it up about the oven. I know you use the oven lots too!
    Good idea to let OH sort it.
    Hope you have your feet up with a cup of tea
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Thank you DIA . I'm glued to the sofa with a diet coke.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 14th Jun 19, 6:13 PM
    • 7,632 Posts
    • 56,859 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Not good about the oven but at least it's still under guarantee so there'll be no cost involved. My oven is just 2 years old and it's been repaired 3 times already. I just think everything is made cheaply and shoddily these days, nothing is built to last. I've got cover for my appliances through Domestic & General, there's a small monthly charge but as everything keeps breaking down I'm getting my money's worth.

Enjoy your Diet Coke and relax, try not to get stressed
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2019 £514.51
    Emergency Fund £3300/£10,000
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th Jun 19, 6:22 PM
    • 10,531 Posts
    • 84,182 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks SA . What make is your oven? Ours is a Hotpoint S14854PIX and I'm really not impressed that it's gone wrong after three months . DH thinks it's a sensor problem. How much is your appliance cover? DH has signed us up for cover for the oven for £3 a month, although we shouldn't have needed it as the oven is only three months old .
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 14th Jun 19, 7:25 PM
    • 5,300 Posts
    • 31,849 Thanks
    foxgloves
    How infuriating that such a new oven should conk out so quickly. Other than certain politicians, nothing winds me up like appliances & technology which fail to do their job. Hope you can get it sorted out at no expense to you.....&that you sleep better. I also wake too early & find it makes me tired by about 8 or 9pm x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £418 2019 = £217
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th Jun 19, 7:27 PM
    • 10,531 Posts
    • 84,182 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thank you Foxgloves . I find it infuriating too when appliances don't do their job properly .
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 14th Jun 19, 7:37 PM
    • 7,632 Posts
    • 56,859 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    My oven is Howdens own make, it came with the kitchen. £3 a month sounds a good deal for the cover, don't think you could beat that, shouldn't have to pay it while it's still under guarantee though, that's crafty on their part.
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2019 £514.51
    Emergency Fund £3300/£10,000
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th Jun 19, 7:45 PM
    • 10,531 Posts
    • 84,182 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    My oven is Howdens own make, it came with the kitchen. £3 a month sounds a good deal for the cover, don't think you could beat that, shouldn't have to pay it while it's still under guarantee though, that's crafty on their part.
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    I agree, I feel like we're being conned
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Jun 19, 8:20 PM
    • 66,940 Posts
    • 302,933 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sorry to hear about your oven
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 17 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th Jun 19, 8:22 PM
    • 10,531 Posts
    • 84,182 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thank you Beanie . It is very annoying.
    • arsenalbarnie
    • By arsenalbarnie 14th Jun 19, 9:03 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 3,130 Thanks
    arsenalbarnie
    That is annoying about the oven. It will still be under warranty tho. We had a dishwasher that went wrong straight away once and was told thatís what warranties are for. Some new parts are faulty straightaway. I can see you have a lot of stress, itís pants. A week ago I was stressed about similar things, especially the sh*t tip my house is. Then my world was turned upside down last Friday when told I may have cancer. I still donít know and wonít definitely for a few weeks but the news doesnít seem to be going the right way. Sorry to crash your thread like this but am wishing I was moaning about my house being a tip tonight. Your stress is real to you, and knowing what you went through when your mum died you have come so far.

Iím not meaning to be mean, but I so wish I was in your boat tonight Hairy. Sorry.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Jun 19, 9:09 PM
    • 66,940 Posts
    • 302,933 Thanks
    beanielou
    That is annoying about the oven. It will still be under warranty tho. We had a dishwasher that went wrong straight away once and was told thatís what warranties are for. Some new parts are faulty straightaway. I can see you have a lot of stress, itís pants. A week ago I was stressed about similar things, especially the sh*t tip my house is. Then my world was turned upside down last Friday when told I may have cancer. I still donít know and wonít definitely for a few weeks but the news doesnít seem to be going the right way. Sorry to crash your thread like this but am wishing I was moaning about my house being a tip tonight. Your stress is real to you, and knowing what you went through when your mum died you have come so far.

Iím not meaning to be mean, but I so wish I was in your boat tonight Hairy. Sorry.
    Originally posted by arsenalbarnie
    So sorry to read this.
    Hoping you get positive news.
    Take care
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 17 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 15th Jun 19, 7:45 AM
    • 10,531 Posts
    • 84,182 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor

Originally posted by arsenalbarnie
    I'm really sorry to hear that Arsenalbarnie, that's awful for you . I really hope that you don't have it. The waiting must be dreadful . I hope that the tests come back more positive than you are fearing.

You're right it does put things into perspective.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 15th Jun 19, 8:04 AM
    • 10,531 Posts
    • 84,182 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I rested yesterday afternoon and had a good night's sleep and finally feel more like myself this morning . The combination of my awful cold, the burst pipe, broken freezer, DS2 being in South America, having to collect DS3 and clear and clean his flat at short notice, sorting DS1's birthday, all on top of our normal activities like going to work, food shopping, washing and cooking, just wore me out.

But hopefully I can get back to my normal routine now. I've been very attached to my routine since my mum died, I think it's my way of coping.

Stepdad is too busy to meet me for coffee today (again) so I'm going to nip into town and change/return my sandals, drop some clutter at the charity shop, buy a few bits in the chemist and have a quick coffee.

Then I want to come home and organise DS3's uni possessions which are stll inconveniently hanging around the house. His suitcase of clothes is still on the landing, but most of them look grubby to me so I want to get them in the washing machine. The things he won't need until the autumn I want to collect in one box and put into the void.

I also want to sort out some more clutter to drop at the charity shop in the week. Meanwhile DH wants to do some more painting and he wants to start clearing DS2's room.

The sun is shining at the moment, so I'm hoping it will stay out so that I can dry all the washing that I need to do today.

I hope everyone has a good Saturday .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 15-06-2019 at 8:58 AM.
    • elizabethhull
    • By elizabethhull 15th Jun 19, 10:16 AM
    • 533 Posts
    • 4,703 Thanks
    elizabethhull
    I rested yesterday afternoon and had a good night's sleep and finally feel more like myself this morning . The combination of my awful cold, the burst pipe, broken freezer, DS2 being in South America, having to collect DS3 and clear and clean his flat at short notice, sorting DS1's birthday, all on top of our normal activities like going to work, food shopping, washing and cooking, just wore me out.

But hopefully I can get back to my normal routine now. I've been very attached to my routine since my mum died, I think it's my way of coping.

Stepdad is too busy to meet me for coffee today (again) so I'm going to nip into town and change/return my sandals, drop some clutter at the charity shop, buy a few bits in the chemist and have a quick coffee.

Then I want to come home and organise DS3's uni possessions which are stlll inconveniently hanging around the house. His suitcase of clothes is still on the landing, but most of them look grubby to me so I want to get them in the washing machine. The things he won't need until the autumn I want to collect in one box and put into the void.

I also want to sort out some more clutter to drop at the charity shop in the week. Meanwhile DH wants to do some more painting and he wants to start clearing DS2's room.

The sun is shining at the moment, so I'm hoping it will stay out so that I can dry all the washing that I need to do today.

I hope everyone has a good Saturday .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    So glad to hear you feel a little more human this morning. Listed like that, it is an awful lot of stresses and problems to have to deal with at one go. I think you cope better than you think, and I'm sure you're right that routines are an excellent strategy.

How lovely that you have space in the void to plan to put DS3's unneeded possessions !

I did a 'round tuit' yesterday, I cleaned the grill pan, which despite being lined with foil gets unbelievably disgusting. Always pleasing to cross something off the never-ending list !!
    Last edited by elizabethhull; 15-06-2019 at 11:06 AM.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 15th Jun 19, 12:08 PM
    • 10,531 Posts
    • 84,182 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    So glad to hear you feel a little more human this morning. Listed like that, it is an awful lot of stresses and problems to have to deal with at one go. I think you cope better than you think, and I'm sure you're right that routines are an excellent strategy.

How lovely that you have space in the void to plan to put DS3's unneeded possessions !

I did a 'round tuit' yesterday, I cleaned the grill pan, which despite being lined with foil gets unbelievably disgusting. Always pleasing to cross something off the never-ending list !!
    Originally posted by elizabethhull
    Thank you Elizabeth . I'm pleased with myself for still doing three mornings of volunteering despite all the stress and tiredness. In fact I've arranged to do a fourth morning from now on because I enjoy being there, it will increase my experience and I want to become indispensible .

Well done for doing a 'round tuit' . That took me a while to decode but I got there in the end and I love the phrase . On the Mari Kondo thread they talk about saving things for Justin and it took me a while to realise they mean just in case .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,842Posts Today

8,502Users online

Martin's Twitter