Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 10,556Posts
    • 84,299Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    • 24th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally 24th Sep 17 at 12:22 PM
    My DH and I have been in debt for 34 Years, apart from brief periods, ever since I was offered my first credit card at the tender age of19.

Our debts were caused by us being impulsive spenders and not being very skilled at budgeting or managing our money, so we know it is our own fault. We always believed that one day we would have more money, mysteriously, and that this would bail us out .

Our full light bulb moment came when we realised, "What if we never have any more money than we do right now?"

A couple of years ago we were coping with the minimum payments, but didn't have enough to overpay on any of them. We were forking out 1300 a month in minimum payments, and the interest alone was 1000 a month .

But then in 2015 our small business started to bring in less, and a family bereavement, and illness affected our ability to work. We could no longer afford the minimum repayments and we were scared we would lose our home. We were stricken with stress and depression .

Step Change shone a light in the darkness for us and they arranged for us to make token payments of 1 a month to our creditors. This saved our sanity and we were reassured that our home was unlikely to be taken from us.

My DH recently turned 55 and drew out his pension so that we could make full and final offers to our creditors. All but one accepted an offer of 50% of what we owed (which is all we had to offer). We are continuing negotiations with the final creditor and hope to be debt free by Christmas .

Being so close to being debt free has made me realise what a heavy burden the debts have been all these years, like living our lives wearing lead boots.

Once we are debt free we will still need to live very frugally because we have no emergency fund or savings, and our income can be irregular. I hope that starting a diary will help to focus me on frugal living, avoid impulsive spends, and keep my spirits up. Because frugal living can be a lonely and isolating experience.

This site and Step Change has helped me so much, and I hope that my diary will help to inspire others that it's never too late to change your life .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 18-11-2017 at 8:49 AM.
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = 3,000/5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = 2,005/5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = 159.37/500
    PREMIUM BONDS ME = 200. PREMIUM BONDS DH = 200
Page 487
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Jun 19, 5:34 PM
    • 66,984 Posts
    • 303,150 Thanks
    beanielou
    Thank you Beanie . I hope our new freezer lasts as long as the old one. Ours is Beko and so was our old one. What make is yours?
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    The same actually!
    Fridge long gone.
    Think if I remember I am on 5th fridge in the same time!!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 17 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 12th Jun 19, 8:05 PM
    • 10,556 Posts
    • 84,299 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Our larder fridge is a Beko but we've had that for 15 years too.
    • elizabethhull
    • By elizabethhull 12th Jun 19, 9:37 PM
    • 533 Posts
    • 4,710 Thanks
    elizabethhull
    Happy New Freezer !!

I always think that a new fridge/freezer seems to have nicer food in than the old one.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Jun 19, 7:42 AM
    • 4,621 Posts
    • 29,395 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Enjoy the new freezer. I hope your day goes well today.
    I hope you are feeling more relaxed now.
    Car costs savings: 500
    Xmas savings 250
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN?
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 13th Jun 19, 7:51 AM
    • 6,062 Posts
    • 37,885 Thanks
    in need of direction
    For me, opening a freezer and seeing home cooked food is on a par with seeing laundry hanging on the washing line. Enjoy
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 65379.50 target 65,000 by 05/04/19 Offset fund today 826.16 target 1000 by 31/12/19
    Emergency fund 4250/5.5k & 200/200 cash.
    Weight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 13st 8lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Noella
    • By Noella 13th Jun 19, 9:27 AM
    • 125 Posts
    • 1,070 Thanks
    Noella
    Woken up in early hours by a lot of shouting by several people in the road. DH went downstairs to investigate only to find interior of house flooded up to a depth of about 8 inches (so far) and every garden in the road, the road itself and the surrounding fields totally submerged. Really eerie to be inside and every window we look out of all we can see is water. Electrics still working and we're upstairs for now. DH thinks it hasn't got any worse since about 8 this morning so maybe it will start to subside. Dreading the aftermath though. Downstairs sockets are all fairly high up and water hasn't put them out of action yet but DH says plaster in walls soaks up water so we've isolated the downstairs circuit just in case. Seems like we had 2 months worth of rain in 48 hours or something like that, never been flooded before even when most of the rest of the country was that time a few years ago so it's a big shock. Not going to be in contact for a while probably. Hope everyone is faring better than our area.
    Last edited by Noella; 13-06-2019 at 9:45 AM.
    When it's raining, look for rainbows.
    When it's dark, look for stars.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 13th Jun 19, 10:42 AM
    • 1,872 Posts
    • 11,695 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Hi Hairy, happy new freezer thank god you've got good insurance and your kitchen will be sorted out in the not too distant future hopefully

I'm lucky with my DD as she is into saving water like me so doesn't spend ages in the shower,I do have two showers a day so I'm worse than her,but I'm not in there for very long
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = 17,630 Paid To Date = 2,151 Total Now Owed = 15,479
    Emergency Fund = 1,350 Xmas savings = 400 Start Weight 4/6/19 = 10 ST 11LB
    Current Weight = 10 ST 9 LB
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 13th Jun 19, 10:44 AM
    • 1,872 Posts
    • 11,695 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Woken up in early hours by a lot of shouting by several people in the road. DH went downstairs to investigate only to find interior of house flooded up to a depth of about 8 inches (so far) and every garden in the road, the road itself and the surrounding fields totally submerged. Really eerie to be inside and every window we look out of all we can see is water. Electrics still working and we're upstairs for now. DH thinks it hasn't got any worse since about 8 this morning so maybe it will start to subside. Dreading the aftermath though. Downstairs sockets are all fairly high up and water hasn't put them out of action yet but DH says plaster in walls soaks up water so we've isolated the downstairs circuit just in case. Seems like we had 2 months worth of rain in 48 hours or something like that, never been flooded before even when most of the rest of the country was that time a few years ago so it's a big shock. Not going to be in contact for a while probably. Hope everyone is faring better than our area.
    Originally posted by Noella
    Oh no, im so sorry to read this,I've always dreaded being properly flooded,I hope you have insurance and can get back to normal as soon as possible,it's raining again here today and looks very miserable out there
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = 17,630 Paid To Date = 2,151 Total Now Owed = 15,479
    Emergency Fund = 1,350 Xmas savings = 400 Start Weight 4/6/19 = 10 ST 11LB
    Current Weight = 10 ST 9 LB
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Jun 19, 2:36 PM
    • 66,984 Posts
    • 303,150 Thanks
    beanielou
    So sorry to read this
    Take care.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 13th Jun 19, 4:38 PM
    • 2,731 Posts
    • 28,500 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Oh goodness, I'm so sorry, take care x
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again

Progress not Perfection
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Jun 19, 6:14 PM
    • 10,556 Posts
    • 84,299 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'm really sorry to hear that Noella . I hope the flood waters go down soon so that you can assess the damage. I also hope you can access food and drink. Let us know how you're getting on as we'll be thinking of you. It puts my burst pipe into perspective!
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Jun 19, 6:23 PM
    • 10,556 Posts
    • 84,299 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I haven't had a chance to update as it's been another hectic and tiring day. It's been raining all day today. I walked to school in the rain to volunteer, did my lunchtime job in the rain (the children didn't seem to mind running around in the rain) and walked home in the rain! I felt quite tired and soggy when I got home.

Then I quickly ate some lunch and we went into town so that I could collect the walking sandals I ordered from Millets weeks ago (before they were sent back to the depot). Unfortunately despite ordering my size they are too small . Then we topped up my phone which took ages as the till was playing up in the O2 shop . Then we drove to Tesco and bought some frozen food for our new freezer. The food cost 45 but that included 6.50 on 24 diet Pepsis and 4 on laundry powder, so only 35 on frozen food. The freezer is about a third full, but we can stock it up a bit slowly over time.

I'm so tired now that I feel a bit tearful . It's been such a hectic and tiring few weeks. Still I know I should be thankful that my house isn't completed flooded like poor Noella's, so I'm lucky compared to some people. I'm thankful we live near the top of a hill.

I just want a normal day tomorrow where I can just go to school, come home, rest, and then catch up on the housework. A normal weekend would be good too.

I hope everyone is having a good day and is less tired than I am!
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 13-06-2019 at 7:45 PM.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Jun 19, 7:22 PM
    • 66,984 Posts
    • 303,150 Thanks
    beanielou
    I am so tired I could cry

***Keep plodding***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Jun 19, 7:47 PM
    • 10,556 Posts
    • 84,299 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Sorry to hear that Beanie .
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Jun 19, 7:58 PM
    • 66,984 Posts
    • 303,150 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sorry, I meant to say that I hope that you can have a relaxing & peaceful weekend.

***Keep plodding***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Jun 19, 7:59 PM
    • 10,556 Posts
    • 84,299 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thank you Beanie .
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Jun 19, 8:15 PM
    • 4,621 Posts
    • 29,395 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Oh heck HH that sounds like a tough day. No wonder you are tired. It is also disappointing the sandals did not fit.
    I hope the powers that be are listening to your request for a quieter weekend
    Car costs savings: 500
    Xmas savings 250
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN?
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th Jun 19, 6:25 AM
    • 10,556 Posts
    • 84,299 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thank you DIA . I hope so too.
    • elizabethhull
    • By elizabethhull 14th Jun 19, 1:34 PM
    • 533 Posts
    • 4,710 Thanks
    elizabethhull
    Unfortunately despite ordering my size they are too small .
    . Then we drove to Tesco and bought some frozen food for our new freezer. The food cost 45 but that included 6.50 on 24 diet Pepsis and 4 on laundry powder, so only 35 on frozen food. The freezer is about a third full, but we can stock it up a bit slowly over time.

I'm so tired now that I feel a bit tearful . It's been such a hectic and tiring few weeks. Still I know I should be thankful that my house isn't completed flooded like poor Noella's, so I'm lucky compared to some people. I'm thankful we live near the top of a hill.

I just want a normal day tomorrow where I can just go to school, come home, rest, and then catch up on the housework. A normal weekend would be good too.

I hope everyone is having a good day and is less tired than I am!
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    What a shame about the sandals.
    Still, your freezer stocking is going at a sensible pace and it is so satisfying to look in and feel prepared.

Hope you're all having a dry Friday as it is here for a change! It's been as gloomy most of the week as November !!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a quiet weekend for you

Noella - if you've had chance to drop in. my utmost sympathies, and here's hoping it can be sorted out without too much damage. Water can be dreadful to deal with, and mud even worse.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th Jun 19, 1:43 PM
    • 10,556 Posts
    • 84,299 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thank you Elizabeth .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,279Posts Today

8,136Users online

Martin's Twitter