Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 9,364Posts
    • 73,938Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    • 24th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally 24th Sep 17 at 12:22 PM
    My DH and I have been in debt for 34 Years, apart from brief periods, ever since I was offered my first credit card at the tender age of19.

Our debts were caused by us being impulsive spenders and not being very skilled at budgeting or managing our money, so we know it is our own fault. We always believed that one day we would have more money, mysteriously, and that this would bail us out .

Our full light bulb moment came when we realised, "What if we never have any more money than we do right now?"

A couple of years ago we were coping with the minimum payments, but didn't have enough to overpay on any of them. We were forking out £1300 a month in minimum payments, and the interest alone was £1000 a month .

But then in 2015 our small business started to bring in less, and a family bereavement, and illness affected our ability to work. We could no longer afford the minimum repayments and we were scared we would lose our home. We were stricken with stress and depression .

Step Change shone a light in the darkness for us and they arranged for us to make token payments of £1 a month to our creditors. This saved our sanity and we were reassured that our home was unlikely to be taken from us.

My DH recently turned 55 and drew out his pension so that we could make full and final offers to our creditors. All but one accepted an offer of 50% of what we owed (which is all we had to offer). We are continuing negotiations with the final creditor and hope to be debt free by Christmas .

Being so close to being debt free has made me realise what a heavy burden the debts have been all these years, like living our lives wearing lead boots.

Once we are debt free we will still need to live very frugally because we have no emergency fund or savings, and our income can be irregular. I hope that starting a diary will help to focus me on frugal living, avoid impulsive spends, and keep my spirits up. Because frugal living can be a lonely and isolating experience.

This site and Step Change has helped me so much, and I hope that my diary will help to inspire others that it's never too late to change your life .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 18-11-2017 at 8:49 AM.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £4,005. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £1,505.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £66
    PREMIUM BONDS = £50
Page 464
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 17th May 19, 4:24 PM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 73,938 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    That's great news. Really pleased for you.
    Originally posted by Robin09
    De lurking to say great news! Well deserved.
    Originally posted by 24ta
    Excellent news HHD Bet they didn't think twice about asking you to take on the role permanently It's funny how things can change so quickly isn't it. xx
    Originally posted by teafor2
    Thanks all of you .
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £66
    PREMIUM BONDS = £50
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 17th May 19, 4:25 PM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 73,938 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    What lovely news about the job! Sometimes the universe does decide to smile on us. A weight off your mind, anyway, so soon after mentioning your worries about the job finishing in the autumn.
    F
    Originally posted by foxgloves
    Great news HH! Just when you thought you might be jobless in October too.
    Originally posted by Verbatim
    Brilliant news about the job Hairy! So pleased for you Xx
    Originally posted by please-let-me-be-lucky
    Thanks all of you . It's only £180 a month, but it makes a difference to our budget and it's money we can rely on coming in, plus I enjoy the work. So I am very pleased .
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £66
    PREMIUM BONDS = £50
    • milann
    • By milann 17th May 19, 5:06 PM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 14,373 Thanks
    milann
    Great news and Iíll be surprised if there arenít more hours available come September - they might need support for a new child or somebody could leave before the big summer holibobs - fingers crossed and all that is it a big school or a single form entry. We are a 2 class entry with quite a few children who need support so thereís always movement at the end of the year as we have a lot of staff.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th May 19, 6:27 PM
    • 63,188 Posts
    • 277,770 Thanks
    beanielou
    Excellent news
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 17th May 19, 8:29 PM
    • 2,581 Posts
    • 27,222 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Such great news - congratulations - and such good timing!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again

50 Frugal Living Tips that Really Work : https://youtu.be/eBorBymXXCQ

Budget for May - Real Figures: https://youtu.be/vu8h_RW6TIY
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 17th May 19, 8:52 PM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 73,938 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Great news and I’ll be surprised if there aren’t more hours available come September - they might need support for a new child or somebody could leave before the big summer holibobs - fingers crossed and all that is it a big school or a single form entry. We are a 2 class entry with quite a few children who need support so there’s always movement at the end of the year as we have a lot of staff.
    Originally posted by milann
    Thanks Milann . The school has three classes in each year group, so fingers crossed I get more hours soon .

Excellent news
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks Beanie .

Such great news - congratulations - and such good timing!
    Originally posted by earthgirl
    Thanks Earthgirl .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 17-05-2019 at 8:56 PM.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £66
    PREMIUM BONDS = £50
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 17th May 19, 9:31 PM
    • 5,759 Posts
    • 35,472 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Hopefully the family meal also celebrated your job news. Next stop, TA post. And, get you, only £180 a month. How far have you come?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £68,638.17 target £65,000 by 05/04/19 Offset fund today £616.16 target £5,500 by 05/04/19
    Emergency fund £5,500/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Weight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 13st 1lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • elizabethhull
    • By elizabethhull 17th May 19, 10:37 PM
    • 463 Posts
    • 3,976 Thanks
    elizabethhull
    I have good news . The person I'm covering for has just resigned and they asked me if I was interested in doing the job permanently, so I said yes of course .

They're going to sort out the paperwork at some point in the misty future but it's great to know that I won't revert to just being a volunteer in October . I'm getting to know all the staff and they're a really nice group of people, plus I love the job, not to mention the money which can feed my savings pots. Think of all the premium bonds I can buy and how big my Christmas pot can grow .

I'm very excited .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    WONDERFUL NEWS I'm so pleased for you, HH.
    • Chief2104
    • By Chief2104 17th May 19, 11:41 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Chief2104
    Fab news about the job, so well deserved. Very pleased for you ��
    • Noella
    • By Noella 18th May 19, 6:34 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    Noella
    Really drizzly and gloomy here but if the weather is kinder in your neck of the woods I hope you enjoy your Saturday Saunter. I hope the meeting with your Stepdad is a pleasant one and doesn't depress your happy mood since you heard about the job. Good luck.
    When it's raining, look for rainbows.
    When it's dark, look for stars.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 18th May 19, 6:54 AM
    • 10,474 Posts
    • 36,865 Thanks
    jwil
    That's brilliant news about the job, congratulations
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 18th May 19, 6:56 AM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 73,938 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Hopefully the family meal also celebrated your job news. Next stop, TA post. And, get you, only £180 a month. How far have you come?
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Thank you INOD .

WONDERFUL NEWS I'm so pleased for you, HH.
    Originally posted by elizabethhull
    Thank you Elizabeth .

Fab news about the job, so well deserved. Very pleased for you ��
    Originally posted by Chief2104
    Thank you Chief .
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £66
    PREMIUM BONDS = £50
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 18th May 19, 6:58 AM
    • 5,091 Posts
    • 18,600 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Great news about the job, have a good weekend xx
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Debt free and saving for my future
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 18th May 19, 6:58 AM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 73,938 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Really drizzly and gloomy here but if the weather is kinder in your neck of the woods I hope you enjoy your Saturday Saunter. I hope the meeting with your Stepdad is a pleasant one and doesn't depress your happy mood since you heard about the job. Good luck.
    Originally posted by Noella
    Thanks Noella . The sky is grey at the moment but hopefully it will brighten up later on.

That's brilliant news about the job, congratulations
    Originally posted by jwil
    Thanks Jwil .
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £66
    PREMIUM BONDS = £50
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 18th May 19, 6:59 AM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 73,938 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Great news about the job, have a good weekend xx
    Originally posted by pennywisepoundstupid
    Thanks Penny .
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £66
    PREMIUM BONDS = £50
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 18th May 19, 7:06 AM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 73,938 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    We went out for a family meal last night with DS1 and DS2 which we enjoyed. £82 was spent including the tip and £3 on parking. So a bit of a spendy evening but it was worth it to spend time with DS2 before he goes abroad .

I tried to lie in until 8am today. I was tossing and turning for a bit and thought I wonder if it's nearly 8 o'clock yet. When I looked at the time it was only 6.30am! Oh well, I obviously didn't need any more sleep .

Today I'm meeting stepdad for coffee, then I'll see how I feel. I may come straight home and do some more de-cluttering as I'm quite keen to get started on it again. I've got a rucksack full of books to drop off this morning and I want to do a tip run with DH this afternoon. Or I may wander around the charity shops and look at books. The important thing is for me to stay out of clothes shops and homewares shops!

Have a lovely Saturday everyone .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 18-05-2019 at 7:08 AM.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £66
    PREMIUM BONDS = £50
    • Noella
    • By Noella 18th May 19, 8:03 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    Noella
    We went out for a family meal last night with DS1 and DS2 which we enjoyed. £82 was spent including the tip and £3 on parking. So a bit of a spendy evening but it was worth it to spend time with DS2 before he goes abroad .

It's so lovely to hear that you all had a nice meal out together. That doesn't seem such an outlandish spend either considering there were 4 adults eating. I'm a bit of a newbie to your diary but I read all of it before I started posting. Took me a while too but it was such a compelling 'read'. Your 'journey' since starting it has been full of drama and difficulties and at last you are into calmer waters with some disposable income. I know you don't want or intend to fritter away the 'windfalls' that have been such a lifesaver for you but things like special family times are well worth spending on IMO.
    When it's raining, look for rainbows.
    When it's dark, look for stars.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 18th May 19, 8:43 AM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 73,938 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    It's so lovely to hear that you all had a nice meal out together. That doesn't seem such an outlandish spend either considering there were 4 adults eating. I'm a bit of a newbie to your diary but I read all of it before I started posting. Took me a while too but it was such a compelling 'read'. Your 'journey' since starting it has been full of drama and difficulties and at last you are into calmer waters with some disposable income. I know you don't want or intend to fritter away the 'windfalls' that have been such a lifesaver for you but things like special family times are well worth spending on IMO.
    Originally posted by Noella
    Thank you Noella that's a lovely thing to say . It must have taken you ages to read my diary and it's true that we've had some ups and downs on our journey.

I agree that family times together are beyond price .
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £66
    PREMIUM BONDS = £50
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 18th May 19, 9:21 AM
    • 7,128 Posts
    • 27,456 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    I have good news . The person I'm covering for has just resigned and they asked me if I was interested in doing the job permanently, so I said yes of course .

They're going to sort out the paperwork at some point in the misty future but it's great to know that I won't revert to just being a volunteer in October . I'm getting to know all the staff and they're a really nice group of people, plus I love the job, not to mention the money which can feed my savings pots. Think of all the premium bonds I can buy and how big my Christmas pot can grow .

I'm very excited .

Excellent news Hairy, well deserved xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £4750.00 Lloyds: £9000.00 BC: £800.00 Cap One: GONE
    May LTW 14/21 ~ May NSD 3/5
    PAYDBX 2019 #041 PD £2567.41/£5604.30
    Savings for Christmas £250.40/£500 ~ EF £25/£500
    20p Savers 2019 £2 Savers 2019 50p Savers 2019 SPC 12 2019 #003
    • arsenalbarnie
    • By arsenalbarnie 18th May 19, 10:44 AM
    • 339 Posts
    • 2,269 Thanks
    arsenalbarnie
    Great news Hairy. Letís hope some TA jobs come up. I was a TA for a few years and loved it. The children make you laugh everyday. Landlording and family business got in the way though, so had to give it up. Was out with all my 5 and OH, last night too. DD sings and plays piano at various bars and we tend to go along. We usually end up spending more than she gets paid! It was nice to have all her brothers together, they all look like her bouncers Am feeling it a bit today as too much gin was quaffed.

Hope DS2 enjoys his travels. As for DS3 developing an app, my friends son has done some and he gets a nice income from them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2Posts Today

4,116Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• After two cancellations, I'm on the 3rd train back from Manch. Just heard its being rerouted as someone's taken tak? https://t.co/sRO4cvoWIw

• RT @helen_undy: It's hard campaigning at the moment. Trying to cut through amid Brexit votes, protests & political resignations can feel fu?

• Follow Martin