Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 9,364Posts
    • 73,938Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    • 24th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally 24th Sep 17 at 12:22 PM
    My DH and I have been in debt for 34 Years, apart from brief periods, ever since I was offered my first credit card at the tender age of19.

Our debts were caused by us being impulsive spenders and not being very skilled at budgeting or managing our money, so we know it is our own fault. We always believed that one day we would have more money, mysteriously, and that this would bail us out .

Our full light bulb moment came when we realised, "What if we never have any more money than we do right now?"

A couple of years ago we were coping with the minimum payments, but didn't have enough to overpay on any of them. We were forking out £1300 a month in minimum payments, and the interest alone was £1000 a month .

But then in 2015 our small business started to bring in less, and a family bereavement, and illness affected our ability to work. We could no longer afford the minimum repayments and we were scared we would lose our home. We were stricken with stress and depression .

Step Change shone a light in the darkness for us and they arranged for us to make token payments of £1 a month to our creditors. This saved our sanity and we were reassured that our home was unlikely to be taken from us.

My DH recently turned 55 and drew out his pension so that we could make full and final offers to our creditors. All but one accepted an offer of 50% of what we owed (which is all we had to offer). We are continuing negotiations with the final creditor and hope to be debt free by Christmas .

Being so close to being debt free has made me realise what a heavy burden the debts have been all these years, like living our lives wearing lead boots.

Once we are debt free we will still need to live very frugally because we have no emergency fund or savings, and our income can be irregular. I hope that starting a diary will help to focus me on frugal living, avoid impulsive spends, and keep my spirits up. Because frugal living can be a lonely and isolating experience.

This site and Step Change has helped me so much, and I hope that my diary will help to inspire others that it's never too late to change your life .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 18-11-2017 at 8:49 AM.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £4,005. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £1,505.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £66
    PREMIUM BONDS = £50
Page 463
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 16th May 19, 4:30 PM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 73,938 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Afternoon HHD Hope work was good. Random question of the day - did you ever find a bag to pop your bits and bobs into? xx
    Originally posted by teafor2
    Thanks TF2 . I haven't looked for a bag yet, but I could maybe look for one at the weekend. I have't needed a sun hat yet and I've just been putting my sunglasses down on a table while I work indoors, so I think on reflection I can manage without a bag and save the money .

On the subject of bagels my DD loves having ham on hers but they have to be the plain ones but DS and DH will usually eat anything on them.

Hope work was good today?
    Originally posted by Purplemumof2
    Thanks Purplemum yes it was .
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £66
    PREMIUM BONDS = £50
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 16th May 19, 4:41 PM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 73,938 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Work and volunteering were good but I feel shattered now. The children had their final SATS paper this morning so after this everyone will feel a bit more relaxed. I was supervising two children who needed to take the paper in a quieter environment and have the questions read to them. The staff do their best not to make the children feel stressed, but some do still feel a bit anxious. I was also asked to stick close to a boy who doesn't play well with others and keep an eye on him so I could encourage positive behaviour at lunchtime, so that was a bit more challenging too. I feel like I was very useful today though, so have hopefully won some brownie points .

This afternoon I started my assignment but didn't get very far with it as we spent ages trying to free up space on the hard drive of my computer, which only left me with forty five minutes for my assignment . I've done about a quarter of it anyway and starting it is usually the hardest thing. If I work hard tomorrow afternoon I can hopefully finish it . The assignment is on equality and diversity in a learning environment along with relevant legislation and is staggeringly dull .

DS2 is going abroad in a week and I'm not looking forward to him going . I suggested a family meal before he left and he liked that idea, so we'll do that this weekend. I know it costs money but it will be a nice opportunity to spend time with him before he goes away.

I hope everyone has had a good Thursday .
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £66
    PREMIUM BONDS = £50
    • Noella
    • By Noella 16th May 19, 5:57 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    Noella
    Work and volunteering were good but I feel shattered now. The children had their final SATS paper this morning so after this everyone will feel a bit more relaxed. I was supervising two children who needed to take the paper in a quieter environment and have the questions read to them. The staff do their best not to make the children feel stressed, but some do still feel a bit anxious. I was also asked to stick close to a boy who doesn't play well with others and keep an eye on him so I could encourage positive behaviour at lunchtime, so that was a bit more challenging too. I feel like I was very useful today though, so have hopefully won some brownie points .

This afternoon I started my assignment but didn't get very far with it as we spent ages trying to free up space on the hard drive of my computer, which only left me with forty five minutes for my assignment . I've done about a quarter of it anyway and starting it is usually the hardest thing. If I work hard tomorrow afternoon I can hopefully finish it . The assignment is on equality and diversity in a learning environment along with relevant legislation and is staggeringly dull .

DS2 is going abroad in a week and I'm not looking forward to him going . I suggested a family meal before he left and he liked that idea, so we'll do that this weekend. I know it costs money but it will be a nice opportunity to spend time with him before he goes away.

I hope everyone has had a good Thursday .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Good luck finishing the assignment so it's out of the way and you can concentrate on some quality time with DS2. He's becoming quite a globetrotter and the experiences are probably doing wonders for his confidence. A family meal sounds a lovely idea. Don't worry about the expense for once, you have enough to cover it and the memories created are worth so much more than money.

You haven't mentioned your Stepdad for a while. Don't you meet up with him on your Saturday saunters any more?

Thanks to you and everyone else for the bagel ideas. I'll buy a pack next time I go shopping. Even if I don't like them the birds will appreciate them.

I can understand how you're not looking forward to DS going travelling but your student son will be back home fairly soon won't he? Is he planning to try to get a summer job near you or is he planning to spend time in the London area? I used to look forward to my holiday jobs when I was a student. I had some weird ones though and however tedious some of them were at least I knew I wasn't stuck having to do them forever like some of my co-workers were.
    When it's raining, look for rainbows.
    When it's dark, look for stars.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 16th May 19, 7:22 PM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 73,938 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks Noella .

Stepdad has been too busy to meet me since the interment, but I will be meeting him this Saturday.

I'm happy for DS2 to go travelling as long as he comes home safely, but I'm worried that South America may not be a safe place for him . It does do his confidence wonders when he travels, but I wish he'd chosen to go somewhere else.

DS3 should be home in the next few weeks which will be nice . I don't think he's planning on getting a job as he's working on an app that he wants to sell.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £66
    PREMIUM BONDS = £50
    • milann
    • By milann 16th May 19, 9:30 PM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 14,373 Thanks
    milann
    Lucky ds going travelling again. It must be really worrying for you though.
    Sounds as if your workplace is lucky to have you - fingers crossed for you that somebody moves on soon. Weíve just taken someone on to cover me after half term. I donít know if Iím a tad touchy atm but she is getting to me. How we managed before she started Iíll never know - she has been and done EVERYTHING - bigger and better than everyone else of course of course it could just be me as I know Iím finishing for the rest of the school year.....
    Hope things work out ok with your step dad.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th May 19, 9:36 PM
    • 63,188 Posts
    • 277,770 Thanks
    beanielou
    millan~~TBH she sounds a right PITA.
    & could nener replace you
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 17th May 19, 7:39 AM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 12,264 Thanks
    teafor2
    Morning HHD Hope you have a good day at school. Just one more week until half term. Do yours have one week or two?

Milann - at least you don't have to work with her xx
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 17th May 19, 1:18 PM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 73,938 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks TF2 I did have a good day .

Yes it's probably the other staff you should feel sorry for Milann .
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £66
    PREMIUM BONDS = £50
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 17th May 19, 1:24 PM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 73,938 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I have good news . The person I'm covering for has just resigned and they asked me if I was interested in doing the job permanently, so I said yes of course .

They're going to sort out the paperwork at some point in the misty future but it's great to know that I won't revert to just being a volunteer in October . I'm getting to know all the staff and they're a really nice group of people, plus I love the job, not to mention the money which can feed my savings pots. Think of all the premium bonds I can buy and how big my Christmas pot can grow .

I'm very excited .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 17-05-2019 at 1:45 PM.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £66
    PREMIUM BONDS = £50
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 17th May 19, 1:29 PM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 73,938 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I had a good morning (for obvious reasons) but also I felt like I was being helpful again. I did some paperwork for the TA and then supervised the work of a small group of children who have trouble concentrating. At lunchtime I was on babysitting duty again. So a busy morning but a fun one .

I managed to dodge the rain on my way home and had a sunnyish morning and lunchtime. This afternoon I plan to finish my assignment if I can and then I can relax because it's the weekend.

Not that I do much relaxing even then because I don't really know how to . But I have lots more de-cluttering planned, plus a family meal before DS2 goes abroad, so it will be a different type of busy .

I hope everyone has had a good Friday .
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £66
    PREMIUM BONDS = £50
    • Sunshine girl2
    • By Sunshine girl2 17th May 19, 1:44 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 805 Thanks
    Sunshine girl2
    Fabulous news HH and well deserved. Very exciting for you. It will give you some peace of mind .
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 17th May 19, 1:44 PM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 73,938 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Fabulous news HH and well deserved. Very exciting for you. It will give you some peace of mind .
    Originally posted by Sunshine girl2
    Thank you Sunshine girl, yes it will give me peace of mind .
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £66
    PREMIUM BONDS = £50
    • Noella
    • By Noella 17th May 19, 1:45 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    Noella
    I have good news . The person I'm covering for has just resigned and they asked me if I'd like to do the job permanently, so I said yes of course .

They're going to sort out the paperwork at some point in the misty future but it's great to know that I won't revert to just being a volunteer in October . I'm getting to know all the staff and they're a really nice group of people, plus I love the job, not to mention the money which can feed my savings pots. Think of all the premium bonds I can buy and how big my Christmas pot can grow .

I'm very excited .
    What wonderful news, HH. I couldn't be happier for you. No wonder you're excited

How strange that it was only yesterday (I think, but time goes so quickly) when you were talking on here about the fact that you might be jobless in October. Must have been all our good vibes that influenced the person you're covering for to resign
    When it's raining, look for rainbows.
    When it's dark, look for stars.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 17th May 19, 1:48 PM
    • 9,364 Posts
    • 73,938 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thank you Noella . Yes it is strange how these things happen sometimes. They only gave me my contract for the temporary job last week so goodness how long it will take to give me a permanent one but as long as the person I'm covering isn't coming back then I should be fine .
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £66
    PREMIUM BONDS = £50
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 17th May 19, 1:57 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 1,802 Thanks
    Robin09
    That's great news. Really pleased for you.
    SPC 076
    • 24ta
    • By 24ta 17th May 19, 2:23 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    24ta
    I have good news . The person I'm covering for has just resigned and they asked me if I was interested in doing the job permanently, so I said yes of course .

I'm very excited .

De lurking to say great news! Well deserved.
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 17th May 19, 2:40 PM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 12,264 Thanks
    teafor2
    Excellent news HHD Bet they didn't think twice about asking you to take on the role permanently It's funny how things can change so quickly isn't it. xx
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 17th May 19, 2:55 PM
    • 4,838 Posts
    • 27,542 Thanks
    foxgloves
    What lovely news about the job! Sometimes the universe does decide to smile on us. A weight off your mind, anyway, so soon after mentioning your worries about the job finishing in the autumn.
    F
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £418 2019 = £65
    • Verbatim
    • By Verbatim 17th May 19, 4:10 PM
    • 4,685 Posts
    • 14,433 Thanks
    Verbatim
    Great news HH! Just when you thought you might be jobless in October too.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 17th May 19, 4:22 PM
    • 9,708 Posts
    • 60,952 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Brilliant news about the job Hairy! So pleased for you Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

Best win so far - holiday to Florida
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,958Posts Today

4,677Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• After two cancellations, I'm on the 3rd train back from Manch. Just heard its being rerouted as someone's taken tak? https://t.co/sRO4cvoWIw

• RT @helen_undy: It's hard campaigning at the moment. Trying to cut through amid Brexit votes, protests & political resignations can feel fu?

• Follow Martin