Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,279 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Hurrah for the regular income for 6 months.
    You must be so relieved.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Hurrah for the regular income for 6 months.
    You must be so relieved.

Thanks Beanie it is a relief :). It's only enough to pay the mortgage, but it will be a relief that that's paid at least.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    Thank you Nicnak, the first year is the hardest I think for bereavements :(.

Normally I would crave alcohol every weekend. I think my tastebuds have changed temporarily because I don't even want it. Mind you, like sugar, I think you more you have the more you want.

Deffo agree with this x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 October 2018 at 8:37PM
    Options
    Hurrah for the new work - so pleased for you.

We have a dehumidifier, was about £100 from Screwfix five years or so ago. It's brilliant, cheap to run and it kind of sucks the cold out of the freezing cold damp room rather than heats it up. Perfect if you don't like being too hot. I use the disposable ones in a few of the really damp places, they are usually with the air freshener type things. Like a margarine tub with two layers, crystals that suck the liquid into the bottom.

I'm a recent convert to cashmere wrist warmers. Mine are Johnston's of Elgin and they are like cut off mittens so great for typing and writing, unlike the cheap black thermal ones. They even look elegant with my work suits rather than market trader like my black ones. I paid £15 from the well known auction site. Turtle doves will let you trade in an old cashmere jumper for some fingerless gloves if you have one. Think they charge £4 handling and they recycle your jumper into more gloves. I thought about the imported £8 ones mentioned above but the reviews were very mixed. Love my nice Scottish ones, and plan to inflict them on people for easily posted nice presents. Then I can steal them if they don't wear them...
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,279 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad that you are so pleased with your Scottish ones redofromstart :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • abba1772
    abba1772 Posts: 7,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Fantastic news about the 6 month contract .........go hubby xx
    NEXT TARGET: Halifax credit card DEC 22 £0 / £4499.12
    POAMAYC 2011 £6378.35 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90 POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13208.18POAMAYC 2019 £13309.28 POAMAYC 2020 £15026.05
  • elizabethhull
    Options
    Fascinating reading about differing experiences of temperature. I'm one of the 'hot' people !! When I go to one of my Scrabble clubs there are always several people in thick jumpers while I'm in a t-shirt. Heaven knows how they manage if it gets really cold.

We've been without the internet since last Friday, when we changed our provider but the new router hadn't come. We had an email on the Wed saying the router would be with us in 3-5 working days (so zero chance of it arriving in time), and we'd get another email when all was ready to change. Well, without internet access we haven't read any emails ! I came back online today to 672 emails - aarrgh ! Still, we are getting a free month as compensation.
    We still had 2 ideas up our sleeves: taking a very long bus ride as our buses have free wi-fi (we have bus passes), or having a coffee at a fairly local McDonalds which is similarly equipped.
    I've missed it !!
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    https://www.houseofbruar.com/ladies-cashmere-fingerless-mitts-blue-tg14001periwinkle/?src=GoogleFeed&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9dfww6-P3gIVE4XVCh1_RwlxEAQYAyABEgKkffD_BwE

My cashmere fingerless gloves look like this. Although I expect my mum got them in a sale. She did buy them in Scotland. I expect it would be worth checking out the well known auction site as Redo suggests :).
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks so much, everyone for the cashmere gloves suggestions and for the link from you, HH:T:T:T. Plenty of food for thought there. I'll definitely be treating myself to a pair before the weather gets really cold. It was really chilly this morning when I was making my first cup of tea at 6 o'clock:eek:. The sign of things to come:(

Commiserations on your internet woes, Elizabeth. I'm glad you have it back again:T. Broadband came very late to our village, I had to rely on the really slow dial-up for so long. Although things are much better with broadband it's the regular type, not superfast and there's no hope of any of the cable companies venturing this far either. We don't even have mains gas within 4 miles of here:eek:. Whenever I question my broadband speed they do a test and say it's working fine and that's the best I'm likely to get because of the distance of our property from the exchange. Seems odd to me that old rural telephone exchanges still play such an important role in internet efficiency:(.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Every Christmas DH buys me either cashmere gloves or cashmere socks. I tend to be one who falls into the too hot category and I only wear gloves when out and about and prefer leather. Last year's offering was from a by appointment to royals supplier and were cream cashmere gloves. I don't want to be ungrateful but.... Cream!
    It's too much money for him to be spending on something that I don't need or use. I do wear the socks occasionally but 2 pairs is the max needed. However he knows I love cashmere. Unfortunately, my cardigans have been attacked by moths to the extent that one is now referred to as the colandered cardigan. This is despite being stored with cedar cubes
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback