Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    • 5,797Posts
    • 41,098Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    • 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally 24th Sep 17 at 1:22 PM
    My DH and I have been in debt for 34 Years, apart from brief periods, ever since I was offered my first credit card at the tender age of19.

Our debts were caused by us being impulsive spenders and not being very skilled at budgeting or managing our money, so we know it is our own fault. We always believed that one day we would have more money, mysteriously, and that this would bail us out .

Our full light bulb moment came when we realised, "What if we never have any more money than we do right now?"

A couple of years ago we were coping with the minimum payments, but didn't have enough to overpay on any of them. We were forking out £1300 a month in minimum payments, and the interest alone was £1000 a month .

But then in 2015 our small business started to bring in less, and a family bereavement, and illness affected our ability to work. We could no longer afford the minimum repayments and we were scared we would lose our home. We were stricken with stress and depression .

Step Change shone a light in the darkness for us and they arranged for us to make token payments of £1 a month to our creditors. This saved our sanity and we were reassured that our home was unlikely to be taken from us.

My DH recently turned 55 and drew out his pension so that we could make full and final offers to our creditors. All but one accepted an offer of 50% of what we owed (which is all we had to offer). We are continuing negotiations with the final creditor and hope to be debt free by Christmas .

Being so close to being debt free has made me realise what a heavy burden the debts have been all these years, like living our lives wearing lead boots.

Once we are debt free we will still need to live very frugally because we have no emergency fund or savings, and our income can be irregular. I hope that starting a diary will help to focus me on frugal living, avoid impulsive spends, and keep my spirits up. Because frugal living can be a lonely and isolating experience.

This site and Step Change has helped me so much, and I hope that my diary will help to inspire others that it's never too late to change your life .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 18-11-2017 at 9:49 AM.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
Page 246
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Nov 18, 8:29 PM
    • 58,080 Posts
    • 239,296 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good idea to speak to the accountant.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 9th Nov 18, 8:37 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 4,644 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Thanks OBL. I do all my surveys on a tablet at the moment so you should give them a go. PA is the best imo. There are a few you can only do on a PC, but there's enough you can do on a tablet to make it worth doing.

I think the weather will be a bit better at the weekend.
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Oh really,I didn't know that,right I'm going to have a look then,thanks for that Hairy
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £1,440 Total Now Owed = £16,190
    Emergency Fund = £300 Xmas savings = £400
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 9th Nov 18, 8:43 PM
    • 6,332 Posts
    • 43,808 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Mr SA used to be self employed and it was a nightmare waiting for the money to come in.

Hope you get the counselling xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £404.08
    Debt £2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £4000/£10,000
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 9th Nov 18, 9:20 PM
    • 5,797 Posts
    • 41,098 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks SA .
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 9th Nov 18, 10:22 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 16,519 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Hope you have a better nights sleep tonight HH

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 9th Nov 18, 10:29 PM
    • 5,797 Posts
    • 41,098 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks Wannabe so do I .
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 10th Nov 18, 8:28 AM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 7,338 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Enjoy your Saturday Saunter x
    September 6th 2017 - Updated 21st Oct
    Credit Card £0 now: £0 Tesco Loan £7500 = £0 Consolidation £15,000 = £10,812 Total = £25,330 £10,812 59% gone EMF #252 = £1300/£1000
    Sealed pot challenge #589
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #71
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 10th Nov 18, 9:16 AM
    • 5,797 Posts
    • 41,098 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks Nicnak .

I can't afford to go around the charity shops today or buy coffee, every penny counts at the moment. So I thought I'd catch a bus to the coast and go for a walk with some milky coffee in my travel cup. I may have to take a plastic bag to sit on as it rained heavily yesterday!

I'm saving my PA money for a second clothes horse. The combination of constant rain showers, no heating, and not using the tumbler means that it's taking two days to dry laundry indoors on our clothes horse. So a second one would mean I could do twice as much laundry. Our laundry baskets are full to bursting at the moment .

I hope everyone has a good Saturday .
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 10th Nov 18, 9:18 AM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 7,338 Thanks
    Nicnak
    That still sounds like a lovely day out. I know what you mean about drying clothes. I keep using the dryer for uniform x
    Credit Card £0 now: £0 Tesco Loan £7500 = £0 Consolidation £15,000 = £10,812 Total = £25,330 £10,812 59% gone EMF #252 = £1300/£1000
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 10th Nov 18, 9:20 AM
    • 5,797 Posts
    • 41,098 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Yes Nicnak a walk by the sea is always pleasant and it only costs me a bus ride . The weather looks much brighter today too. Have a good day.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 10th Nov 18, 9:24 AM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 7,338 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Yes Nicnak a walk by the sea is always pleasant and it only costs me a bus ride . The weather looks much brighter today too. Have a good day.
    We are collecting leaves in the garden that will be rewarded with a trip to the shop to buy little one something. She has been doing lots of chores recently and offered to give me her pocket money from my mum to help towards my bills. x
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 10th Nov 18, 9:38 AM
    • 9,157 Posts
    • 55,157 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    We are collecting leaves in the garden that will be rewarded with a trip to the shop to buy little one something. She has been doing lots of chores recently and offered to give me her pocket money from my mum to help towards my bills. x
    Originally posted by Nicnak
    Oh bless her, how cute Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in 2018 39/60
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 10th Nov 18, 10:34 AM
    • 5,240 Posts
    • 29,909 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Thanks Nicnak .

I can't afford to go around the charity shops today or buy coffee, every penny counts at the moment. So I thought I'd catch a bus to the coast and go for a walk with some milky coffee in my travel cup. I may have to take a plastic bag to sit on as it rained heavily yesterday!

I'm saving my PA money for a second clothes horse. The combination of constant rain showers, no heating, and not using the tumbler means that it's taking two days to dry laundry indoors on our clothes horse. So a second one would mean I could do twice as much laundry. Our laundry baskets are full to bursting at the moment .

I hope everyone has a good Saturday .
    Thank you, I hope you enjoy your day too

Shame about the charity shops/coffee treats but your alternative choice sounds lovely. I hope the weather is kind to you

I've just been reminded of your clothes horse situation. Do you think you could maybe get the one back that you gave DS to take to Uni with him? I remember when I went my Mum gave me her small one but I never used it because the Halls had big drying rooms. Our individual rooms were so small there was nowhere to hang/drape washing (even had it been allowed which I doubt) and the kitchen was the size of a cupboard because it was only for preparing drinks and snacks as bkfast and dinner were provided and we were out at lectures/library all day anyway. We had to provide our own sheets and towels but they were collected and laundered for us. Came back lovely and nicely ironed (the bedding was ironed, probably not the towels). We had to wash and dry all our clothes and other items though. Now your son is doing his own laundry and paying for it I expect they have all the modern facilities like tumble dryers that people use. Modern young people probably won't like cluttering up their living space with damp washing. Just a thought.
    Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £8097. Sub £9000 at long last.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Nov 18, 12:50 PM
    • 58,080 Posts
    • 239,296 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a lovely walk
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 10th Nov 18, 2:01 PM
    • 5,797 Posts
    • 41,098 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Originally posted by Nicnak
    Sounds good. I loved playing with autumn leaves when I was a child .
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 10th Nov 18, 2:07 PM
    • 5,797 Posts
    • 41,098 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thank you, I hope you enjoy your day too

Shame about the charity shops/coffee treats but your alternative choice sounds lovely. I hope the weather is kind to you

I've just been reminded of your clothes horse situation. Do you think you could maybe get the one back that you gave DS to take to Uni with him? I remember when I went my Mum gave me her small one but I never used it because the Halls had big drying rooms. Our individual rooms were so small there was nowhere to hang/drape washing (even had it been allowed which I doubt) and the kitchen was the size of a cupboard because it was only for preparing drinks and snacks as bkfast and dinner were provided and we were out at lectures/library all day anyway. We had to provide our own sheets and towels but they were collected and laundered for us. Came back lovely and nicely ironed (the bedding was ironed, probably not the towels). We had to wash and dry all our clothes and other items though. Now your son is doing his own laundry and paying for it I expect they have all the modern facilities like tumble dryers that people use. Modern young people probably won't like cluttering up their living space with damp washing. Just a thought.
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Thanks Carboot . The clothes horse we gave DS3 was tiny and only held six items. The clothes horse I'm saving up for is enormous and can dry several machine loads, plus it has flat areas for drying woollies. It will solve alot of laundry problems for me .

DH has to wash and dry his own bedding. He has two hoodies that say do not tumble on the label and he is allowed to dry laundry in his flat. DS3 is used to damp washing around the place... and a damp house .
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 10th Nov 18, 2:08 PM
    • 5,797 Posts
    • 41,098 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Have a lovely walk
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks Beanie .
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 10th Nov 18, 2:20 PM
    • 5,797 Posts
    • 41,098 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    The weather was not kind to me because it started chucking it down with rain when I got to the sea . Luckily I predicted this and wore my raincoat . It was very misty and atmospheric so I got some interesting photos. There weren't many other people about for some reason! I drank my coffee in a shelter facing the sea, although I still got a bit wet thanks to the sideways rain . A woman with a dog got driven away by the sideways rain so it was just me in there . Anyway, it got me out of the house and the weather kind of suited my mood.

I spent £2.40 on the bus, £1.80 on milk and £2 on satsumas and bananas. A total of £6.20 so not too spendy a Saturday .
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 10th Nov 18, 2:26 PM
    • 5,797 Posts
    • 41,098 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    The rest of the day will consist of thrilling chores: clean out the furry moron, wash some laundry, fold and put clean washing away and empty the bins.

I've done exactly 10,000 steps so far today, 4.64 miles, 41 floors and 48 active minutes so far today. I've lost another pound too this week. I haven't been this slim since my twenties!
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 10th Nov 18, 4:11 PM
    • 5,240 Posts
    • 29,909 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Thanks Carboot . The clothes horse we gave DS3 was tiny and only held six items. The clothes horse I'm saving up for is enormous and can dry several machine loads, plus it has flat areas for drying woollies. It will solve alot of laundry problems for me .

DH has to wash and dry his own bedding. He has two hoodies that say do not tumble on the label and he is allowed to dry laundry in his flat. DS3 is used to damp washing around the place... and a damp house .
    The one you've got your eye on sounds brilliant. I hope you can afford it soon

Incidentally, I've often tumbled items that the label says shouldn't be. With care and on a warm/cool/delicate setting they are fine. Better not suggest it to DS though in case the hoodies are precious to him. I think I've got the knack of temperatures and times by now after years of practice but years ago when my ancient tumbler only did one hot temperature and even then it often overheated I had a few disasters. I always ignore the 'Dry Clean Only' instructions as well. The only things that ever go to the Dry Cleaners are wool coats and I only have one of them and never wear it. OH has none, his days of wool jackets for work are long gone. Pretty much everything we own gets thrown in the washing machine.

I've had my current tumble dryer for a few years but it has a dizzying array of settings. Shame I can barely afford to try them out

Love your comment about DS being used to damp washing around the place. Same here with us.
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 10-11-2018 at 4:17 PM.
    Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £8097. Sub £9000 at long last.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,561Posts Today

9,047Users online

Martin's Twitter