Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    • 6,375Posts
    • 46,163Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    • 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally 24th Sep 17 at 1:22 PM
    My DH and I have been in debt for 34 Years, apart from brief periods, ever since I was offered my first credit card at the tender age of19.

Our debts were caused by us being impulsive spenders and not being very skilled at budgeting or managing our money, so we know it is our own fault. We always believed that one day we would have more money, mysteriously, and that this would bail us out .

Our full light bulb moment came when we realised, "What if we never have any more money than we do right now?"

A couple of years ago we were coping with the minimum payments, but didn't have enough to overpay on any of them. We were forking out £1300 a month in minimum payments, and the interest alone was £1000 a month .

But then in 2015 our small business started to bring in less, and a family bereavement, and illness affected our ability to work. We could no longer afford the minimum repayments and we were scared we would lose our home. We were stricken with stress and depression .

Step Change shone a light in the darkness for us and they arranged for us to make token payments of £1 a month to our creditors. This saved our sanity and we were reassured that our home was unlikely to be taken from us.

My DH recently turned 55 and drew out his pension so that we could make full and final offers to our creditors. All but one accepted an offer of 50% of what we owed (which is all we had to offer). We are continuing negotiations with the final creditor and hope to be debt free by Christmas .

Being so close to being debt free has made me realise what a heavy burden the debts have been all these years, like living our lives wearing lead boots.

Once we are debt free we will still need to live very frugally because we have no emergency fund or savings, and our income can be irregular. I hope that starting a diary will help to focus me on frugal living, avoid impulsive spends, and keep my spirits up. Because frugal living can be a lonely and isolating experience.

This site and Step Change has helped me so much, and I hope that my diary will help to inspire others that it's never too late to change your life .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 18-11-2017 at 9:49 AM.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
Page 213
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 12th Oct 18, 11:24 PM
    • 6,375 Posts
    • 46,163 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Have a lovely meal
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    Hope you are having a really lovely evening Xx
    Originally posted by please-let-me-be-lucky
    Hope you had an enjoyable evening. Weather is nasty here, cats keep being blown back in if they are daft enough to go out. My fluffy moron is most disgruntled at the mess it makes of his fur.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Thanks all. Your cats are hilarious Redo
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 12th Oct 18, 11:31 PM
    • 6,375 Posts
    • 46,163 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    The food was lovely at the restaurant. I had aubergine curry. We got drinks from the bar, then ordered food and coffee from the table. They only charged for the stuff we ordered from the table, so my friend's cocktails and my coke didn't get charged for! So I only spent £11.50 on my main and a coffee .

It was nice to catch up with what everyone had been up to. We tried to set up a group chat on Messenger to make arranging future nights out easier, which was hilarious. We managed to set up two groups with one person missing, then finally got it right at the third attempt and had to delete the other two groups . It took us about an hour!
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 13th Oct 18, 6:55 AM
    • 1,566 Posts
    • 8,976 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Glad you had a lovely time. Bonus about not paying for those drinks though. x
    September 6th 2017 - Updated 21st Oct
    Credit Card £0 now: £0 Tesco Loan £7500 = £0 Consolidation £15,000 = £10,580 Total = £25,330 £10,812 59% gone EMF #252 = £775/£1000
    Sealed pot challenge #024
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #071
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 13th Oct 18, 7:03 AM
    • 5,409 Posts
    • 31,225 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Sounds like a lovely evening, HH. Just what you needed too.

Made me smile that your DH had asked you if you'd need £50 for your night out and it ended up costing you barely over 20% of that. I hope you didn't stint yourself on the food though. You work so hard and do so much for others you deserve to treat yourself every now and then

Have a good saunter today with some good book bargains. That's if the weather doesn't stop you going. It looks as if it's pretty stormy in your neck of the woods.
    Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £3437. Nearly out of the debt tunnel at long last.
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 13th Oct 18, 8:05 AM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 15,557 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Great to hear you had a good evening . If you are off out this morning hope you find some good books.
    CC1 £3500 Nov 2018.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Oct 18, 9:02 AM
    • 6,375 Posts
    • 46,163 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Glad you had a lovely time. Bonus about not paying for those drinks though. x
    Originally posted by Nicnak
    It was
    Sounds like a lovely evening, HH. Just what you needed too.

Made me smile that your DH had asked you if you'd need £50 for your night out and it ended up costing you barely over 20% of that. I hope you didn't stint yourself on the food though. You work so hard and do so much for others you deserve to treat yourself every now and then

Have a good saunter today with some good book bargains. That's if the weather doesn't stop you going. It looks as if it's pretty stormy in your neck of the woods.
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    I don't really feel hungry at the moment Carboot so I had plenty to eat. Don't worry nothing will stop me going out on a Saturday, although the weather is wet and windy .

Great to hear you had a good evening . If you are off out this morning hope you find some good books.
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Thanks Cumbria
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 13th Oct 18, 9:45 AM
    • 2,356 Posts
    • 14,581 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Your curry sounded really nice Hairy and an excellent result on the cost!

Enjoy your saunter today and I hope the weather picks up in the West Country. Looking sunny here in Seasideville at the moment!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 10/11/2018 - £1801.03
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 29
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Oct 18, 5:20 PM
    • 58,744 Posts
    • 243,554 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that you had a lovely time.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Oct 18, 6:44 PM
    • 6,375 Posts
    • 46,163 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Your curry sounded really nice Hairy and an excellent result on the cost!

Enjoy your saunter today and I hope the weather picks up in the West Country. Looking sunny here in Seasideville at the moment!
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58
    Glad that you had a lovely time.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks both
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Oct 18, 7:34 PM
    • 6,375 Posts
    • 46,163 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I went on my Saturday saunter. I met my stepdad for coffee and we chatted for a couple of hours. Then he went home and I looked around the charity shops.

I didn't find any books I liked but found a bargain chopping board reduced from £28 to £8.40, which I thought would make a good wedding present for my nephew. I also got myself a mug reduced from £7 to £2.10 . I got my fruit in Mr T and the fruit stall.

When I got home I cleaned out the furry moron and emptied the bins. I was very pleased with myself after that as I rearranged the cupboards under the stairs. We have two; one full of everything, which meant we have to unpack half the cupboard to get the hoover or ironing board out, while the smaller one just had shoes in. So I rearranged the shoes and the hoover fitted easily in the smaller cupboard. Now it's much easier to get the hoover and the ironing board out . I don't know why I didn't think of it before, doh.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 13th Oct 18, 8:10 PM
    • 6,318 Posts
    • 23,841 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    So glad you enjoyed your night HHOD, such a blooming bargain too xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £5419.83 - 08/04/18 - 76.61% paid off
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Oct 18, 8:48 PM
    • 6,375 Posts
    • 46,163 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    So glad you enjoyed your night HHOD, such a blooming bargain too xx
    Originally posted by mummytogirls
    It was cheaper than I expected
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Oct 18, 10:08 PM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 20,746 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Lots of bargains for you today.

Glad you enjoyed your saunter. I too tend to buy all my books from charity shops if possible, although I have joined the library now too.

Have a lovely weekend.
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    NSD December 5/31 AFD 2/10, SFD 0/10
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Oct 18, 10:28 PM
    • 6,375 Posts
    • 46,163 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks DIA.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th Oct 18, 9:56 PM
    • 6,375 Posts
    • 46,163 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    DH was working this morning. I hung up DS3's clean curtains and nets, and finished cleaning his coving. I only have to clean the shelves by his bed (and dust the things on them) and clean the floor and his room is finished. I want it to look nice when he comes home for Christmas . I also did some laundry, etc.

My stepdad messaged to say he wouldn't go for a walk as he felt tired but would just come in the evening. DH felt like relaxing after working and DS1 was feeling lazy, so I went for a walk in the park on my own to get me out of the house.

My stepdad came for dinner this evening and we had a nice roast dinner. We had a good evening, but I always feel sad when he leaves and I see him walk off alone .

I've lost another two pounds this week, so that's a stone lost since my mum died. I'm five pounds under my original goal weight, but I'm not underweight so it doesn't really matter.
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 14-10-2018 at 9:59 PM.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 15th Oct 18, 6:23 AM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 15,557 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Good to hear that stepdad is coming round for Sunday evening . DS3 I Hope will appreciate your hard work on his room when he returns home. How is he getting on ?
    CC1 £3500 Nov 2018.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 15th Oct 18, 7:19 AM
    • 5,409 Posts
    • 31,225 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Good to hear that stepdad is coming round for Sunday evening . DS3 I Hope will appreciate your hard work on his room when he returns home. How is he getting on ?
    I agree, Cumbria

I hope everyone has a good day, if you've managed to dry out after yesterday's deluge. Maybe not all parts of the country had the rain but it never stopped here all day yesterday or overnight. It's still drizzling now but at least it's given me a valid excuse not to wash the outside windows (yet again).
    Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £3437. Nearly out of the debt tunnel at long last.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 15th Oct 18, 10:06 AM
    • 6,375 Posts
    • 46,163 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I forgot to say that yesterday was a NSD. Today won't be because we've run out of soap and toilet roll, so need to pick some up in a minute, plus Pilates will cost £5 tonight.

My friend is ill but I'm still going to Pilates. I see it as a bit of a lifeline at the moment. I also want to finish cleaning DS3's room today, plus do more laundry.

DH's sister took DS3 out for a roast lunch yesterday, then the cinema, plus she gave him a goody bag with some new towels, chocolate and toiletries in. It's very kind of her and DS3 must have been delighted . She found out he has made some good friends and is happy at uni .

Have a good Monday everyone.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 15th Oct 18, 10:07 AM
    • 6,375 Posts
    • 46,163 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I agree, Cumbria

I hope everyone has a good day, if you've managed to dry out after yesterday's deluge. Maybe not all parts of the country had the rain but it never stopped here all day yesterday or overnight. It's still drizzling now but at least it's given me a valid excuse not to wash the outside windows (yet again).
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Thanks both. DS3 is getting on well.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 15th Oct 18, 12:30 PM
    • 1,566 Posts
    • 8,976 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Sounds like he is doing really well and enjoying it. I miss uni!

Have a good day. x
    September 6th 2017 - Updated 21st Oct
    Credit Card £0 now: £0 Tesco Loan £7500 = £0 Consolidation £15,000 = £10,580 Total = £25,330 £10,812 59% gone EMF #252 = £775/£1000
    Sealed pot challenge #024
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #071
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,687Posts Today

7,319Users online

Martin's Twitter