Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    • 4,569Posts
    • 31,852Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    • 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally 24th Sep 17 at 1:22 PM
    My DH and I have been in debt for 34 Years, apart from brief periods, ever since I was offered my first credit card at the tender age of19.

Our debts were caused by us being impulsive spenders and not being very skilled at budgeting or managing our money, so we know it is our own fault. We always believed that one day we would have more money, mysteriously, and that this would bail us out .

Our full light bulb moment came when we realised, "What if we never have any more money than we do right now?"

A couple of years ago we were coping with the minimum payments, but didn't have enough to overpay on any of them. We were forking out 1300 a month in minimum payments, and the interest alone was 1000 a month .

But then in 2015 our small business started to bring in less, and a family bereavement, and illness affected our ability to work. We could no longer afford the minimum repayments and we were scared we would lose our home. We were stricken with stress and depression .

Step Change shone a light in the darkness for us and they arranged for us to make token payments of 1 a month to our creditors. This saved our sanity and we were reassured that our home was unlikely to be taken from us.

My DH recently turned 55 and drew out his pension so that we could make full and final offers to our creditors. All but one accepted an offer of 50% of what we owed (which is all we had to offer). We are continuing negotiations with the final creditor and hope to be debt free by Christmas .

Being so close to being debt free has made me realise what a heavy burden the debts have been all these years, like living our lives wearing lead boots.

Once we are debt free we will still need to live very frugally because we have no emergency fund or savings, and our income can be irregular. I hope that starting a diary will help to focus me on frugal living, avoid impulsive spends, and keep my spirits up. Because frugal living can be a lonely and isolating experience.

This site and Step Change has helped me so much, and I hope that my diary will help to inspire others that it's never too late to change your life .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 18-11-2017 at 9:49 AM.
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
Page 175
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Jul 18, 6:33 PM
    • 4,569 Posts
    • 31,852 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I've had a busy but productive day.

We've ordered a shoe rack for my side of the bedroom so I don't have to share one with DH. To make room for it I decided that I need to get rid of/bring downstairs some of my books. So I took a pile of books I probably won't read to the charity shop this morning, and brought a big stack downstairs to double up on the shelves of the living room bookcase.

As a result I emptied a large plastic box which was previously full of books . I've given it to DH to put some of the clutter from his side of the room in.

There's more to be done but I now have a space on my side of the room .
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Jul 18, 8:15 PM
    • 55,443 Posts
    • 222,409 Thanks
    beanielou
    I have slept all afternoon.
    Bleeping medication
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Jul 18, 8:17 PM
    • 55,443 Posts
    • 222,409 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the extra room

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 7th Jul 18, 8:39 PM
    • 5,912 Posts
    • 39,183 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Good bit of decluttering there
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 296.07
    Debt 2300
    Weight loss 1/6LBS
    Emergency Fund 4000/10,000
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Jul 18, 8:47 PM
    • 4,569 Posts
    • 31,852 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I have slept all afternoon.
    Bleeping medication
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Hope you feel a bit better. I sent you a PM

Good news on the extra room
    Good bit of decluttering there
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    I am feeling pleased with myself
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Jul 18, 8:58 PM
    • 4,569 Posts
    • 31,852 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I did my Saturday saunter this morning. I went out bright and early to beat the heat.

I dropped a rucksack full of books at the charity shop and got a hardback book for 2 (Echo Park by Michael Connelly). I bought a tee shirt in the Wh!te Stu$$ sale with my PA money. Then in the Dbnha@ms sale I bought two Jamie Oliver tea towels for half price (7 instead of 14). I've had my eye on those tea towels for over a year, but no way was I going to pay 14 for them .

Then I had my coffee in Costalot; it was baking hot in there and I felt sorry for the staff . Then Mr T for cheese and bananas and home.

When I got home I cleaned out the furry moron, emptied all the bins and did two lots of laundry. This is in addition to bringing loads of books downstairs as I mentioned earlier.

I feel quite tired now but I'm pleased with all I got done .

Hope everyone has had a good day.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Jul 18, 9:10 PM
    • 55,443 Posts
    • 222,409 Thanks
    beanielou
    Thanks for the PM
    Sorry for non reply.
    Not at my best.

***Keep plodding***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Jul 18, 9:12 PM
    • 4,569 Posts
    • 31,852 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks for the PM
    Sorry for non reply.
    Not at my best.
    No problem just concentrate on looking after yourself
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 7th Jul 18, 9:23 PM
    • 1,833 Posts
    • 11,238 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Sounds like great progress. I do struggle with the concept of re-homing books but there are always some that would never want to read again if you look really hard. The tricky bit is to not get sidetracked by reading them all one last time.
    • elizabethhull
    • By elizabethhull 7th Jul 18, 9:25 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 1,369 Thanks
    elizabethhull
    I did my Saturday saunter this morning. I went out bright and early to beat the heat.

I dropped a rucksack full of books at the charity shop and got a hardback book for 2 (Echo Park by Michael Connelly). I bought a tee shirt in the Wh!te Stu$$ sale with my PA money. Then in the Dbnha@ms sale I bought two Jamie Oliver tea towels for half price (7 instead of 14). I've had my eye on those tea towels for over a year, but no way was I going to pay 14 for them .

Then I had my coffee in Costalot; it was baking hot in there and I felt sorry for the staff . Then Mr T for cheese and bananas and home.

When I got home I cleaned out the furry moron, emptied all the bins and did two lots of laundry. This is in addition to bringing loads of books downstairs as I mentioned earlier.

I feel quite tired now but I'm pleased with all I got done .

Hope everyone has had a good day.
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    You always seem to get such a lot done.

We had daughter & grandson round - my latest thing is making noises against my arm that sound like a swarm of angry bees. Grandson & I accordingly made rather a lot of frivolous noise while the (really boring!) football was on, then whilst I watched the tennis daughter and I threw a large ball to each other and grandson ran underneath shouting 'Rainbow' ! I have no idea what he meant !!
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Jul 18, 9:49 PM
    • 4,569 Posts
    • 31,852 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    You always seem to get such a lot done.

We had daughter & grandson round - my latest thing is making noises against my arm that sound like a swarm of angry bees. Grandson & I accordingly made rather a lot of frivolous noise while the (really boring!) football was on, then whilst I watched the tennis daughter and I threw a large ball to each other and grandson ran underneath shouting 'Rainbow' ! I have no idea what he meant !!
    Originally posted by elizabethhull
    You always seem to have a lot of fun with your grandchildren Elizabeth, they must love visiting you .
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Jul 18, 9:52 PM
    • 4,569 Posts
    • 31,852 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Sounds like great progress. I do struggle with the concept of re-homing books but there are always some that would never want to read again if you look really hard. The tricky bit is to not get sidetracked by reading them all one last time.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    It is hard losing books but I really want room for a shoe rack, my very own shoe rack . One day perhaps I'll have my very own wardrobe; I hate sharing with DH and having my clothes all squashed up .
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Jul 18, 9:55 PM
    • 55,443 Posts
    • 222,409 Thanks
    beanielou
    The benefit of living on my own is I have a whole wardrope to myself

***Keep plodding***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Jul 18, 9:58 PM
    • 4,569 Posts
    • 31,852 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    The benefit of living on my own is I have a whole wardrope to myself
    That is a good benefit
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 8th Jul 18, 2:47 PM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 12,533 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Must agree with beanie about the wardrobe benefits of living on one's own!. Though unfortunately in my case I currently have have clothes in five different sizes awaiting the dropping of weight!. Just as well it's only me living here!

Good going on the decluttering of books - redo is right in saying that there's always some that you won't re-read. The other charity shop Hairys will give them a good home though. . And how lovely to have more room for yourself in the bedroom!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- 10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 16/07/2018: 776.27
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 34!
    My diary: Paid off the 31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!
    • elizabethhull
    • By elizabethhull 8th Jul 18, 10:27 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 1,369 Thanks
    elizabethhull
    You always seem to have a lot of fun with your grandchildren Elizabeth, they must love visiting you .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor

That's a lovely thing to say, thank you. It's only the one grandchild, nature being disobliging with the other daughter and SIL
    • jwil
    • By jwil 9th Jul 18, 1:50 PM
    • 8,678 Posts
    • 26,864 Thanks
    jwil
    Just catching up, all sounds good. You've been very busy!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 9th Jul 18, 7:27 PM
    • 4,569 Posts
    • 31,852 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I have been busy .

Yesterday morning I tackled our hedge which seemed to double in size while I was away. I spent a couple of hours pruning it back and finished around 11.00am by which time I was boiling hot. But the garden does look a lot neater .

After I recovered I did laundry and ironed some tops. Then my parents for dinner as usual.

Today I felt quite tired after yesterday, but luckily was sat in front of a computer all day. My shoe rack arrived and DH assembled it. I'm delighted with it it's bamboo and has four shelves for shoes. I'm really pleased with the quality and finish of the wood and quite a reasonable price for the quality I think .

DH had to pick up bread and milk so not a NSD. I had a few PA surveys so doing well there.

I'm so thankful to hear about four more boys being rescued from the caves in Thailand. The international rescue effort makes me proud to be human unlike the yobbish antics of a small number of football supporters .

I hope everyone has had a good Monday .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 09-07-2018 at 7:28 PM. Reason: Bad grammar
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Jul 18, 9:16 PM
    • 55,443 Posts
    • 222,409 Thanks
    beanielou
    Also pleasedbeyond words about the further rescues

***Keep plodding***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 9th Jul 18, 9:18 PM
    • 4,569 Posts
    • 31,852 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Also pleasedbeyond words about the further rescues
    It's such lovely news . I hope the final four boys and the coach get out safely tomorrow.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,213Posts Today

8,363Users online

Martin's Twitter