Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    • 4,112Posts
    • 27,934Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    • 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally 24th Sep 17 at 1:22 PM
    My DH and I have been in debt for 34 Years, apart from brief periods, ever since I was offered my first credit card at the tender age of19.

Our debts were caused by us being impulsive spenders and not being very skilled at budgeting or managing our money, so we know it is our own fault. We always believed that one day we would have more money, mysteriously, and that this would bail us out .

Our full light bulb moment came when we realised, "What if we never have any more money than we do right now?"

A couple of years ago we were coping with the minimum payments, but didn't have enough to overpay on any of them. We were forking out 1300 a month in minimum payments, and the interest alone was 1000 a month .

But then in 2015 our small business started to bring in less, and a family bereavement, and illness affected our ability to work. We could no longer afford the minimum repayments and we were scared we would lose our home. We were stricken with stress and depression .

Step Change shone a light in the darkness for us and they arranged for us to make token payments of 1 a month to our creditors. This saved our sanity and we were reassured that our home was unlikely to be taken from us.

My DH recently turned 55 and drew out his pension so that we could make full and final offers to our creditors. All but one accepted an offer of 50% of what we owed (which is all we had to offer). We are continuing negotiations with the final creditor and hope to be debt free by Christmas .

Being so close to being debt free has made me realise what a heavy burden the debts have been all these years, like living our lives wearing lead boots.

Once we are debt free we will still need to live very frugally because we have no emergency fund or savings, and our income can be irregular. I hope that starting a diary will help to focus me on frugal living, avoid impulsive spends, and keep my spirits up. Because frugal living can be a lonely and isolating experience.

This site and Step Change has helped me so much, and I hope that my diary will help to inspire others that it's never too late to change your life .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 18-11-2017 at 9:49 AM.
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    Emergency Fund 1 = 81.59/Emergency Fund 2 = 41.81/Loss of Income Fund 0
Page 153
    • elizabethhull
    • By elizabethhull 17th May 18, 11:00 AM
    • 212 Posts
    • 1,188 Thanks
    elizabethhull
    I think I'm used to it INOD because we've both been self employed for 25 years. But I am stressed at the moment. My hair is falling out and my teeth feel constantly clenched . Maybe it's the stress that's making me feel unwell today .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'm sure stress doesn't help, making you more susceptible to viruses. Hope you get your monies in soon.

Carbootcrazy - my elder daughter went to Lady Dinah's cat cafe in London recently (it was fabulous, apparently), and her cats knew instantly she'd been 'cheating' on them with other cats, and wouldn't have anything to do with them for hours !!

beanielou - I also tried Corsodyl for a while, but it is horrendously expensive. You can never be sure whether it's worth it because, as with all health-related things, you can't run the experiment both ways.

Bye for a week, HHOD, am always off the grid on holiday. I expect to find 5 million posts when I come back (exaggeration), and 700 emails (regrettably NOT exaggerated!).
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 17th May 18, 1:55 PM
    • 4,710 Posts
    • 26,703 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Carbootcrazy - my elder daughter went to Lady Dinah's cat cafe in London recently (it was fabulous, apparently), and her cats knew instantly she'd been 'cheating' on them with other cats, and wouldn't have anything to do with them for hours !!

Bye for a week, HHOD, am always off the grid on holiday. I expect to find 5 million posts when I come back (exaggeration), and 700 emails (regrettably NOT exaggerated!).
    Originally posted by elizabethhull
    Loved the story about your daughter and the cat cafe. Looks like most cats get jealous if they think their owners are taking an interest in other cats

Have a lovely holiday. I hope the sun shines on you and you have a relaxing and fun time making lots of priceless memories
    Make 10 A Day Challenge 2018: Jan-Apr: 757.05+. May: 1209.25

Original Debt: 56804 (@02/13). Now: 9998
    . Under 10K at long last.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 17th May 18, 4:29 PM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 2,101 Thanks
    badmemory
    Have you seen Martin's "thing" about hayfever tablets? I am fairly certain that Home Bargains sell Corsodyl for 2.99 & a product with exactly the same ingredients for 1.99. If you have a HB it has got to be at least worth a look. There was an ad on TV the other day for Boots about a hayfever tablet 2 pks for ONLY 6. Non-branded in HB (& other places) 79p/pk.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 17th May 18, 7:19 PM
    • 4,112 Posts
    • 27,934 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    No wonder you feel out of sorts, HH. The stress level caused by cashflow when you've a family to feed and care for must be immense, especially as things are not in your own power to remedy. I hope some of the tardy payers will do the decent thing and send some money your way today
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Thanks Carboot.

Positive money vibes your way.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks Beanie.

I'm sure stress doesn't help, making you more susceptible to viruses. Hope you get your monies in soon.

beanielou - I also tried Corsodyl for a while, but it is horrendously expensive. You can never be sure whether it's worth it because, as with all health-related things, you can't run the experiment both ways.

Originally posted by elizabethhull
    Have a lovely holiday Elizabeth
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 17th May 18, 7:35 PM
    • 4,112 Posts
    • 27,934 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    No invoices were paid today unfortunately . We have four outstanding and customers expressing interest in new work but no money in yet . I know it will come in eventually and they'll probably all pay on the same day .

I didn't go to my volunteering as I don't feel right, but I felt fed up for not going because I enjoy it.

We got a fair amount of work done until DH's sister rang. When you work from home people are very willing to interrupt you .

I got a YG survey for 150 points so I'm on 3500 points now, creeping up. I also got two small PA surveys. I also got a 1 bonus from PA today .

My mum popped in with with some ready meals from M&S which means I won't have to cook (much) tonight .

It's been lovely and sunny but I only left the house to hang washing in the garden.

Hope every's had a good Thursday .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 17-05-2018 at 7:39 PM.
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 17th May 18, 7:44 PM
    • 1,787 Posts
    • 10,711 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    I had hoped to read you had been paid , but as you say will all come together , fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Hoping you feel slightly better than you did .

PA has been busy this week . Yay to You Gov , you will get there eventually, it took me about 8 months to get the 50.

Love your DS , they are always full of surprises, trips to Spain , girlfriends in New Orleans .

Have a good evening .
    CC1 3655 April 2018.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 17th May 18, 7:46 PM
    • 4,112 Posts
    • 27,934 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks Cumbria. It's true that my DS's are full of surprises .
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th May 18, 9:04 PM
    • 53,923 Posts
    • 213,418 Thanks
    beanielou
    Boo to no invoices paid

Got the mouth wash today when was in nearest big town today~~thanks again
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 17th May 18, 9:18 PM
    • 4,112 Posts
    • 27,934 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Boo to no invoices paid

Got the mouth wash today when was in nearest big town today~~thanks again
    You're welcome Beanie, it's always nice to find a bargain .
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th May 18, 9:28 PM
    • 53,923 Posts
    • 213,418 Thanks
    beanielou
    Any other tesco tips please?
    A friend does get me the value dishwasher tablets.
    Thanks.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 17th May 18, 9:43 PM
    • 5,717 Posts
    • 37,311 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Sorry to hear the invoices haven't been paid yet It's annoying because if it was you that owed money you'd have to pay straight away. Fingers crossed the money comes in soon.

Good news on the DS front though, they sound like good lads
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 250.33
    Debt 2500
    May NSDs AFDs
    Weight loss 7/10LBS
    Emergency Fund 2000/10,000
    • jwil
    • By jwil 18th May 18, 2:24 PM
    • 8,503 Posts
    • 25,998 Thanks
    jwil
    Hope you get paid soon x
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 18th May 18, 2:51 PM
    • 4,710 Posts
    • 26,703 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine today and that some of your overdue payments arrive today, HH.

I've spent several hours outside on the grass crouched over big buckets and other receptacles full of hot soapy water as I scrubbed my way through boxes of crockery, cutlery and bakeware retrieved from the back of the shed where OH keeps the mower and gardening power tools. No idea how it all got buried in there, I'd completely forgotten I had it, it's been there years. It's mainly from my late Mum's house, no one else in the family wanted it. My brother suggested as we cleared the house that I take it to the tip but it's all still very usable so I'd never do that. I've kept some bits for my own use but his wife and grown up children didn't want anything as they have this need for everything matching. I don't care what it looks like if it does the job. Before I started the clean up everything had become very cobwebby and dusty but it's sparkling again now. I reckon my back will be a bit stiff tomorrow but it will soon wear off in time for the planned car boot sale I'm doing on Sunday. I'm not planning to try to sell all of it, a lot will be heading straight to the charity shops next week, together with whatever goes unsold at the car boot.
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 18-05-2018 at 2:56 PM.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th May 18, 5:46 PM
    • 53,923 Posts
    • 213,418 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope your car boot goes well carbootcrazy

***Keep plodding***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 18th May 18, 7:13 PM
    • 4,112 Posts
    • 27,934 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Any other tesco tips please?
    A friend does get me the value dishwasher tablets.
    Thanks.
    I use Mr T value soap for hand washing (25p a bar) which is much cheaper than the cheapest hand wash and lasts a darn sight longer.

Mr T laundry powder, a big box of 40 washes for 4 , much cheaper than the liquid I used to buy.

Value oats 75p for 1kg.

Toastie bread, 55p for a thick sliced loaf of brown or white bread.

Value cheddar or Red Leicester, around 2 for approximately 0.388kg (5.50 per kg).

Value soft spread, 1.35 for 1kg.

Value brown sauce & ketchup, arou d 30p each.

Value baked beans 25p a tin.

Value tinned tomatoes 31p.

Mr T pasta sauce (not value) 75p and tastes gorgeous.

I'll let you know if I think of any more Mr T bargains Beanie.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 18th May 18, 7:16 PM
    • 4,112 Posts
    • 27,934 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Sorry to hear the invoices haven't been paid yet It's annoying because if it was you that owed money you'd have to pay straight away. Fingers crossed the money comes in soon.

Good news on the DS front though, they sound like good lads
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    Hope you get paid soon x
    Originally posted by jwil
    I hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine today and that some of your overdue payments arrive today, HH.

I've spent several hours outside on the grass crouched over big buckets and other receptacles full of hot soapy water as I scrubbed my way through boxes of crockery, cutlery and bakeware retrieved from the back of the shed where OH keeps the mower and gardening power tools. No idea how it all got buried in there, I'd completely forgotten I had it, it's been there years. It's mainly from my late Mum's house, no one else in the family wanted it. My brother suggested as we cleared the house that I take it to the tip but it's all still very usable so I'd never do that. I've kept some bits for my own use but his wife and grown up children didn't want anything as they have this need for everything matching. I don't care what it looks like if it does the job. Before I started the clean up everything had become very cobwebby and dusty but it's sparkling again now. I reckon my back will be a bit stiff tomorrow but it will soon wear off in time for the planned car boot sale I'm doing on Sunday. I'm not planning to try to sell all of it, a lot will be heading straight to the charity shops next week, together with whatever goes unsold at the car boot.
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Thanks all . Great to find all that car boot stuff Carboot, living up to your name I see .
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 18th May 18, 7:35 PM
    • 4,112 Posts
    • 27,934 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    We got paid 85 late this afternoon . Not enough to pay the council tax but we've paid off the 15 that DH was overdrawn by. So that leaves 70 in the business account. A lot better than nothing. I also cashed out some PA money so I've got 10 in my account . Hopefully some more people will pay next week.

We got quite a lot of work done and we've had two NSD in a row. I've had five AFD this week including tonight, but that's normal for me. How do people afford to be alcoholics?

I had two more YG surveys, one relating to GDPR and a normal one, so another 100 points there .

TGIF . Have a great Friday everyone .
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 19th May 18, 7:24 AM
    • 4,710 Posts
    • 26,703 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    We got paid 85 late this afternoon . Not enough to pay the council tax but we've paid off the 15 that DH was overdrawn by. So that leaves 70 in the business account. A lot better than nothing. I also cashed out some PA money so I've got 10 in my account . Hopefully some more people will pay next week.

We got quite a lot of work done and we've had two NSD in a row. I've had five AFD this week including tonight, but that's normal for me. How do people afford to be alcoholics?

I had two more YG surveys, one relating to GDPR and a normal one, so another 100 points there .

TGIF . Have a great Friday everyone .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Good to hear you received some of the money owed to you. here's to the rest arriving early next week

I know what you mean about the cost of being an alcoholic. I once knew 2 of them and I don't think they bothered to eat much. Probably saved a fortune on food.

I had 2 YG surveys in the past 3 days, an unheard of event. I'm now only 50 points (one survey) short of my 50 payout

Enjoy your Saturday

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th May 18, 10:31 AM
    • 53,923 Posts
    • 213,418 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the payment
    Thanks for the Mr T tips

***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th May 18, 11:00 AM
    • 53,923 Posts
    • 213,418 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy yoiur Saturday Saunter

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

702Posts Today

6,685Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin