Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    • 4,166Posts
    • 28,317Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    • 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally 24th Sep 17 at 1:22 PM
    My DH and I have been in debt for 34 Years, apart from brief periods, ever since I was offered my first credit card at the tender age of19.

Our debts were caused by us being impulsive spenders and not being very skilled at budgeting or managing our money, so we know it is our own fault. We always believed that one day we would have more money, mysteriously, and that this would bail us out .

Our full light bulb moment came when we realised, "What if we never have any more money than we do right now?"

A couple of years ago we were coping with the minimum payments, but didn't have enough to overpay on any of them. We were forking out 1300 a month in minimum payments, and the interest alone was 1000 a month .

But then in 2015 our small business started to bring in less, and a family bereavement, and illness affected our ability to work. We could no longer afford the minimum repayments and we were scared we would lose our home. We were stricken with stress and depression .

Step Change shone a light in the darkness for us and they arranged for us to make token payments of 1 a month to our creditors. This saved our sanity and we were reassured that our home was unlikely to be taken from us.

My DH recently turned 55 and drew out his pension so that we could make full and final offers to our creditors. All but one accepted an offer of 50% of what we owed (which is all we had to offer). We are continuing negotiations with the final creditor and hope to be debt free by Christmas .

Being so close to being debt free has made me realise what a heavy burden the debts have been all these years, like living our lives wearing lead boots.

Once we are debt free we will still need to live very frugally because we have no emergency fund or savings, and our income can be irregular. I hope that starting a diary will help to focus me on frugal living, avoid impulsive spends, and keep my spirits up. Because frugal living can be a lonely and isolating experience.

This site and Step Change has helped me so much, and I hope that my diary will help to inspire others that it's never too late to change your life .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 18-11-2017 at 9:49 AM.
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    Emergency Fund 1 = 560.59/Emergency Fund 2 = 0.21/Loss of Income Fund 0
Page 151
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 12th May 18, 10:50 PM
    • 1,708 Posts
    • 9,217 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    As I carried the hydrangea out the pot fell apart, it must have been all the snow and frost we've had recently. I've had that pot for fifteen years! It makes me wonder how many of our other pots are frost proof.
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Catching up from ages back (your thread moves fast!) so apologies if this has been answered but I've lost a lot to frost too. However, I asked a lady in Switzerland how come her beautiful tall pots in her garden were not ruined by frost and she showed me they are all raised off the ground on little 'feet'. I haven't officially tried it but it seems to have worked for things that were accidentally off the ground, such as ones in larger pots or on stands.
    MFW #30 Paid off 1,622.77/3770 as of 4/5/18
    • elizabethhull
    • By elizabethhull 13th May 18, 12:05 AM
    • 213 Posts
    • 1,194 Thanks
    elizabethhull
    Can I ask all you people who seem to get lots of YouGov surveys, do you wait for an invitation email from them or do you check your account regularly to find any?
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    I wait for the invitation. I'm with too many companies to bother checking. The only company I go to is OnePoll, every day, as there's always something.
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 13th May 18, 8:17 AM
    • 911 Posts
    • 5,068 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Hope you're ok. I haven't been on in just over a week so not caught up yet. x
    September 6th 2017 - Updated 13th May 2018
    Credit Card 0 now: 0 Tesco Loan 7500 = 0 Consolidation 15,000 = 13,855 Total = 25,330 13,855 43% gone EMF #252 = 700/1000
    Sealed pot challenge #589
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #71
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 13th May 18, 8:28 AM
    • 1,808 Posts
    • 10,871 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    I always turn trousers up by hand as well, find it therapeutic. As for surveys , you gov paid out in feb so I am a years away from another pay out. I am sticking with PA for the time being.

Your DS are not far off going away , are they getting their stuff ready yet ? Or will it be a last minute dash.

Weather looking good this morning , have a nice day .
    CC1 3475 May 2018
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th May 18, 9:28 AM
    • 4,166 Posts
    • 28,317 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Catching up from ages back (your thread moves fast!) so apologies if this has been answered but I've lost a lot to frost too. However, I asked a lady in Switzerland how come her beautiful tall pots in her garden were not ruined by frost and she showed me they are all raised off the ground on little 'feet'. I haven't officially tried it but it seems to have worked for things that were accidentally off the ground, such as ones in larger pots or on stands.
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    That's useful to know Cherry. I've got a few feet that I'm not using so I must put them under my favourite pots.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th May 18, 9:33 AM
    • 4,166 Posts
    • 28,317 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Hope you're ok. I haven't been on in just over a week so not caught up yet. x
    Originally posted by Nicnak
    Thanks for popping in Nicnak .

I always turn trousers up by hand as well, find it therapeutic. As for surveys , you gov paid out in feb so I am a years away from another pay out. I am sticking with PA for the time being.

Your DS are not far off going away , are they getting their stuff ready yet ? Or will it be a last minute dash.

Weather looking good this morning , have a nice day .
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Thanks Cumbria .

They're going to Iceland in two weeks . We need to book travel insurance for DS3 and he needs to sign up for a travel money card. They also need to book their coach to Londons, so lots to do .
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th May 18, 9:34 AM
    • 4,166 Posts
    • 28,317 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    It's lovely and sunny today so I have hedge cutting and weeding scheduled. Then I need to do more laundry and iron some tops.

Have a good day everyone .
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th May 18, 11:33 AM
    • 54,098 Posts
    • 214,482 Thanks
    beanielou
    iron
    Have a lovely day.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th May 18, 1:53 PM
    • 4,166 Posts
    • 28,317 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I hate ironing too but sometimes it has to be done .

The hedge looks much tidier and I filled up two green waste bags, but I was too tired for any weeding. There's some washing drying in the garden and more in the machine .

Next I have a bit more sewing to do and then the ironing, no rest for the wicked!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th May 18, 8:38 AM
    • 54,098 Posts
    • 214,482 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a lovely week.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th May 18, 7:49 PM
    • 4,166 Posts
    • 28,317 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks Beanie .

We got a lot of work done today . My back was sore after my hedge cutting but putting Deep Heat on this morning followed by a hot shower this evening has helped it a lot.

I got one PA survey and two YG surveys. We had an email from NPower saying our weekly payment is to go down from 37 to 25 which is good news, that's 12 a week saved .

In less good news we've got council tax, NPower and our home/contents insurance to pay tomorrow and we don't have the money to pay any of them until someone pays us .

Never mind I live in hope. What else can I do?
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 14th May 18, 8:53 PM
    • 1,808 Posts
    • 10,871 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    How very annoying and inconvenient. I hope you get paid soon HH . I guess the joys of being self employed , at the mercy of your debtors.
    CC1 3475 May 2018
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th May 18, 9:03 PM
    • 4,166 Posts
    • 28,317 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks Cumbria. It is one of the big downsides to being self employed and helped us get into debt over the years . I'm glad we've got no available credit or it would be tempting to use it to pay the bills and then it would never get paid back as we'd find something else we needed to spend money on. It's a very slippery slope.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th May 18, 10:23 PM
    • 54,098 Posts
    • 214,482 Thanks
    beanielou
    I could not cope with the stress of that.
    Have you cancelled the DD's so you are not charged?

***Keep plodding***
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 15th May 18, 8:12 AM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 10,113 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Hope someone pays you HHOD

the only positive is that at least someone owes you some money I guess.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 15th May 18, 8:28 AM
    • 4,727 Posts
    • 26,807 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I hope people who owe you money pay up very soon, HH. I know what a nightmare that situation can be as my Dad ran his own business and had to pay his employees on time even when he was kept waiting unfair lengths of time to be paid by people/companies they'd done work for. Getting paid by some of the 'big' companies was the worst. He always said that individual people that they did work for always paid promptly whereas the bigger the company that owed him money the longer he had to wait for it. These were usually the biggest, higher paying jobs so a lot of his money was tied up for months sometimes. This was his recurring moan throughout my childhood

I always envy you, HH, for the amount of Prolific and YouGov surveys you get. I don't think I'm in a very interesting demographic group, being a pensioner, retired, with no children and living in a rural area. I was amazed this morning when, being awake ridiculously early, I logged in to my Prolific account and saw a survey that I was eligible for. It was quite long but really interesting and enjoyable. The best bit was that it paid 5 and I received the notification that it had been accepted and pay was credited in about 10 minutes after submitting it. I can't believe that the researcher was up and about at that unearthly hour, or that he had time to evaluate the submission.
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 15-05-2018 at 8:34 AM.
    Make 10 A Day Challenge 2018: Jan-Apr: 757.05+. May: 1209.25

Original Debt: 56804 (@02/13). Now: 9998
    . Under 10K at long last.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th May 18, 8:50 AM
    • 54,098 Posts
    • 214,482 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy Tuesday

***Keep plodding***
    • elizabethhull
    • By elizabethhull 15th May 18, 11:15 AM
    • 213 Posts
    • 1,194 Thanks
    elizabethhull
    Happy Tuesday
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Likewise !

I had a lovely Sunday with younger daughter & grandson, eating brunch & then fooling around in the centre of Didcot where they have a 'press your hand here' train mural with sound effects, perfect for 3yr olds and Grannies !! Then in the pm we visited Oxfordshire Animal Sanctuary (where daughter got her cat from), to look at the cats and have afternoon tea for a donation. We saw 4 x 8-wk old kittens, and if there is anything cuter in the world I wouldn't believe it ! Awww!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 15th May 18, 11:27 AM
    • 1,708 Posts
    • 9,217 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Hope the money comes through today HH. Well done on all the surveys!
    MFW #30 Paid off 1,622.77/3770 as of 4/5/18
    • jwil
    • By jwil 15th May 18, 1:33 PM
    • 8,525 Posts
    • 26,088 Thanks
    jwil
    Hope you get paid soon.

CBC - With YouGov - have you checked your settings? They ask you how frequently you want surveys. You might have said something less frequent. Mine are set for as often as possible. You might find that doing some of the activities and free surveys on the site gives you more.

Although it's a slow payer, I like You Gov as it never screens you out, the surveys are never ridiculously long, and you often see the results in the press.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,087Posts Today

5,372Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin