Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    • 6,392Posts
    • 46,328Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    • 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally 24th Sep 17 at 1:22 PM
    My DH and I have been in debt for 34 Years, apart from brief periods, ever since I was offered my first credit card at the tender age of19.

Our debts were caused by us being impulsive spenders and not being very skilled at budgeting or managing our money, so we know it is our own fault. We always believed that one day we would have more money, mysteriously, and that this would bail us out .

Our full light bulb moment came when we realised, "What if we never have any more money than we do right now?"

A couple of years ago we were coping with the minimum payments, but didn't have enough to overpay on any of them. We were forking out £1300 a month in minimum payments, and the interest alone was £1000 a month .

But then in 2015 our small business started to bring in less, and a family bereavement, and illness affected our ability to work. We could no longer afford the minimum repayments and we were scared we would lose our home. We were stricken with stress and depression .

Step Change shone a light in the darkness for us and they arranged for us to make token payments of £1 a month to our creditors. This saved our sanity and we were reassured that our home was unlikely to be taken from us.

My DH recently turned 55 and drew out his pension so that we could make full and final offers to our creditors. All but one accepted an offer of 50% of what we owed (which is all we had to offer). We are continuing negotiations with the final creditor and hope to be debt free by Christmas .

Being so close to being debt free has made me realise what a heavy burden the debts have been all these years, like living our lives wearing lead boots.

Once we are debt free we will still need to live very frugally because we have no emergency fund or savings, and our income can be irregular. I hope that starting a diary will help to focus me on frugal living, avoid impulsive spends, and keep my spirits up. Because frugal living can be a lonely and isolating experience.

This site and Step Change has helped me so much, and I hope that my diary will help to inspire others that it's never too late to change your life .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 18-11-2017 at 9:49 AM.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
Page 139
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Apr 18, 8:23 PM
    • 6,392 Posts
    • 46,328 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks SSG. I would actually love to be able to spend more time de-cluttering, I also wish we could afford more storage. One day, one day...
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 14th Apr 18, 8:44 AM
    • 5,404 Posts
    • 32,168 Thanks
    in need of direction
    I find that storage gives me places to stash clutter. I'm better off without it as I do eventually get round to getting rid.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £71,743.47, target £65,000 by 05/04/19 Offset fund today £412.27 target £5,500 by 05/04/19
    Emergency fund £1,100/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 14th Apr 18, 9:49 AM
    • 2,058 Posts
    • 12,781 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Hope you have a lovely Saturday saunter HHOD. Sounds like you have lots of new authors to look out for!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Apr 18, 10:56 AM
    • 58,773 Posts
    • 243,742 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy your Saturday saunter
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 14th Apr 18, 11:16 AM
    • 6,325 Posts
    • 23,888 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Have a great day HHOD xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £5419.83 - 08/04/18 - 76.61% paid off
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th Apr 18, 2:00 PM
    • 6,392 Posts
    • 46,328 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I find that storage gives me places to stash clutter. I'm better off without it as I do eventually get round to getting rid.
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    It's true as a general principal that storage encourages cluttering (new verb ).

But I refuse to get rid of my books, so I desperately need more bookcases and shelves for them. We also don't have a shed or garage so have nowhere to store decorating stuff or garden tools, so as a consequence they're all crammed into the cupboard under the stairs .
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th Apr 18, 2:15 PM
    • 6,392 Posts
    • 46,328 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Hope you have a lovely Saturday saunter HHOD. Sounds like you have lots of new authors to look out for!
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Enjoy your Saturday saunter
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Have a great day HHOD xx
    Originally posted by mummytogirls
    Thanks all, I did enjoy my Saturday saunter .

I did well on the book front. I got 'A Great Reckoning' by Louise Penny (£3 from The W0rks, their books have gone up in price but it was brand new and the latest in the series). Then I got a nice edition of 'Dead Man's Folly' for 50p and good copy of 'A Banquet of Consequences' by Elizabeth George for £1.50 . I'm delighted with those .

I also got a book called 'Stop Thinking Start Living' by Richard Carlson (author of 'Don't Sweat the Small Stuff') for £1.50 to hide away for DH's birthday in June.

I got a six pack of pansies from the market for £1.80 for tomorrow's planned gardening marathon. Apart from that it was the usual £2.20 bus and £2.65 in Costalot. Then I spent £8ish in Mr T on bananas, berries, spinach, chocolate for DS1 and cheese. I also got another £1 punnet of grapes from the fruit stall.

A bit of a spendy day but got a good haul I think.

The rest of today is going to be spent cleaning out the furry moron, emptying all the bins and doing laundry. It's a lovely suuny day again .

I hope everyone is having a great Saturday .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 14-04-2018 at 2:18 PM.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • elizabethhull
    • By elizabethhull 14th Apr 18, 2:22 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 2,138 Thanks
    elizabethhull
    Beautiful day here - washing on the line, lunch sitting outside, hubby mowing, rhubarb threatening to poke the lid off the forcer (his rather unusual Xmas present) - all the lovely little things in life. Happy sunny Saturday to all xx
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th Apr 18, 2:25 PM
    • 6,392 Posts
    • 46,328 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thet sounds idyllic Elizabeth .
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 14th Apr 18, 2:58 PM
    • 9,226 Posts
    • 55,810 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Oh my goodness, I just sneezed while reading your post, and through squinted, blurry post-sneeze eyes, I thought you bought a six pack of penises from the market Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in 2018 40/60
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th Apr 18, 3:13 PM
    • 6,392 Posts
    • 46,328 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Oh my goodness, I just sneezed while reading your post, and through squinted, blurry post-sneeze eyes, I thought you bought a six pack of penises from the market Xx
    Originally posted by please-let-me-be-lucky

I don't think they sell penises at the market Lucky, although to be fair I've never asked
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th Apr 18, 4:49 PM
    • 6,392 Posts
    • 46,328 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    That's the furry moron cleaned out (ungrateful beast never thanks me).

All the bins in the house have been emptied, recycling sorted from household waste, etc. Our rubbish bin is now full even though it was only emptied yesterday and it's two weeks before they come again . So a trip to the tip is going to be needed before too long .

I've also put some more towels on to wash, it's like running a hotel, only with no payment .

DH and DS1 are clearing some of the clutter in DS1's room atm. It's a work in progress as DS1 can hoard for Britain. I dread to think what they'll uncover .

I'm resting now as I've done 9,929 steps so far. It helps that absent mindedness keeps sending me up to my bedroom and it's two flights of stairs!
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 15th Apr 18, 3:16 PM
    • 6,412 Posts
    • 44,700 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Glad you had a productive wander yesterday - I thought of you yesterday when I had my own wander around a local town and had a rummage round some of the charity shops - didn't buy anything though.

Hope you've had a good day today
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2010 £13.14
    Debt £1880
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £4000/£10,000
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 15th Apr 18, 4:01 PM
    • 6,392 Posts
    • 46,328 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks SA . You were strong not buying anything in the charity shops.

In total I did 13,120 steps, 35 floors and 5.49 miles yesterday. Today won't be as impressive as I haven't been out anywhere so far.

I've planted narcissi, marigolds, geraniums and pansies in pots today. It kept showering off and on so I got a bit muddy and damp! They look lovely though . The clearing up afterwards always seems to take longer than the potting .

Since then I've changed our bedding and washed DS2's bedding (he's always changing his sheets!).

DH and DS1 have been carrying on with de-cluttering DS1's room. His desk and futon chair are clear now and much of the floor . If they do a bit every week it will be transformed soon . I sorted out the stuff DS1 didn't want into rubbish, recycling and charity piles. The rubbbish and recycling are in the outside bins and the charity stuff is bagged up and ready to be dropped off next Saturday .

We all feel tired now so I'm glad we're going to my parents for dinner.

Hope everyone is having a good Sunday .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 15-04-2018 at 4:05 PM.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Apr 18, 6:56 PM
    • 58,773 Posts
    • 243,742 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy your time at your parents
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 15th Apr 18, 7:28 PM
    • 2,356 Posts
    • 14,602 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    You've been a whirlwind today Hairy! Well done on the books - Dead Man's Folly was one of the first Agatha Christie books I read as a teenager - bought it from a second hand book stall at our local market!

Enjoy your meal tonight with your family.

P.S. I agree that the furry moron is a very ungrateful bunny!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 10/11/2018 - £1801.03
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 29
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 15th Apr 18, 8:44 PM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 15,565 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Sounds like a very busy day HH and family. Hope you had a lovely dinner.

One of the books have arrived , look forward to reading it.
    CC1 £3500 Nov 2018.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 16th Apr 18, 10:22 AM
    • 6,392 Posts
    • 46,328 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Enjoy your time at your parents
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks Beanie

You've been a whirlwind today Hairy! Well done on the books - Dead Man's Folly was one of the first Agatha Christie books I read as a teenager - bought it from a second hand book stall at our local market!

Enjoy your meal tonight with your family.

P.S. I agree that the furry moron is a very ungrateful bunny!
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58
    I've got a vintage copy of Dead Man's Folly but this was a newr edition with lovely cover artwork. It is one of my favourite Christies .

Sounds like a very busy day HH and family. Hope you had a lovely dinner.

One of the books have arrived , look forward to reading it.
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass

Thanks . I hope you like the book Cumbria, I'll feel bad if you hate it
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 16th Apr 18, 10:42 AM
    • 2,058 Posts
    • 12,781 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I had to find my copy of it last night, hadn't read it for ages. I think the butler did it.

Actually it amused me as I had spent half of the evening reading and watching blogs about style and clothes (rosa bernica recommended this one over on DIAs diary) and there is Poirot musing about how very few women look attractive in shorts from behind
    • elizabethhull
    • By elizabethhull 16th Apr 18, 10:56 AM
    • 306 Posts
    • 2,138 Thanks
    elizabethhull
    and there is Poirot musing about how very few women look attractive in shorts from behind
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Ogden Nash:

What's the Use?

Sure, deck your limbs in pants;
    Yours are the limbs, my sweeting.
    You look divine as you advance --
    Have you seen yourself retreating?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

306Posts Today

2,795Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Lord Sugar just said "she's talking like she's a 50 year old, she knows it inside out?" Genuine question if ther? https://t.co/6cZJ9d2Cni

• Follow Martin