Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    • 4,119Posts
    • 28,035Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    • 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally 24th Sep 17 at 1:22 PM
    My DH and I have been in debt for 34 Years, apart from brief periods, ever since I was offered my first credit card at the tender age of19.

Our debts were caused by us being impulsive spenders and not being very skilled at budgeting or managing our money, so we know it is our own fault. We always believed that one day we would have more money, mysteriously, and that this would bail us out .

Our full light bulb moment came when we realised, "What if we never have any more money than we do right now?"

A couple of years ago we were coping with the minimum payments, but didn't have enough to overpay on any of them. We were forking out £1300 a month in minimum payments, and the interest alone was £1000 a month .

But then in 2015 our small business started to bring in less, and a family bereavement, and illness affected our ability to work. We could no longer afford the minimum repayments and we were scared we would lose our home. We were stricken with stress and depression .

Step Change shone a light in the darkness for us and they arranged for us to make token payments of £1 a month to our creditors. This saved our sanity and we were reassured that our home was unlikely to be taken from us.

My DH recently turned 55 and drew out his pension so that we could make full and final offers to our creditors. All but one accepted an offer of 50% of what we owed (which is all we had to offer). We are continuing negotiations with the final creditor and hope to be debt free by Christmas .

Being so close to being debt free has made me realise what a heavy burden the debts have been all these years, like living our lives wearing lead boots.

Once we are debt free we will still need to live very frugally because we have no emergency fund or savings, and our income can be irregular. I hope that starting a diary will help to focus me on frugal living, avoid impulsive spends, and keep my spirits up. Because frugal living can be a lonely and isolating experience.

This site and Step Change has helped me so much, and I hope that my diary will help to inspire others that it's never too late to change your life .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 18-11-2017 at 9:49 AM.
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    Emergency Fund 1 = £560.59/Emergency Fund 2 = £0.21/Loss of Income Fund £0
Page 121
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 11th Mar 18, 2:29 PM
    • 4,119 Posts
    • 28,035 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Have a lovely weekend hairy xx
    Originally posted by abba1772
    Glad you're feeling stronger, that flu really knocked you for six. Don't rush to get back to normal, take it steady. Have a lovely weekend xx
    Originally posted by Sun Addict

Thanks both
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 11th Mar 18, 2:44 PM
    • 4,119 Posts
    • 28,035 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Happy Mother's Day all you mums .

I enjoyed my Saturday wander. DH insisted on coming with me even though I told him I was well enough to catch the bus, but we parted ways and met up for coffee.

I spent £4 on books in the charity shop (I got two nice Agatha Christie facsimile hardbacks), bought some fruit in Mr T and my yummy latte in Costalot (how I've missed you lattes). The car park was £4 .

Then I put my feet up for a bit until it was time to meet at the restaurant. I'm glad my appetite has returned because I had red pesto penne pasta with feta cheese, sundried tomatoes and olives, followed by warm chocolate fudgecake with ice cream, accompanied by red wine. It was divine, heaven on a plate .

My stepdad enjoyed the meal and it was nice to celebrate his birthday with some of the family (we'd have had to hire the restaurant to fit the whole family in ).

It's nice being better .

DS3 gave me a big box of Dairy Milk for Mother's Day and DS1 gave me a lovely card and said he's going to give me a joint present on my birthday . DS2 hasn't emerged from his cave yet.

We're going to my parents for dinner tonight (first time for four weeks), so all in all a really good weekend.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Mar 18, 3:54 PM
    • 53,939 Posts
    • 213,716 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that you had a lovely time yesterday.
    Enjoy your meal tonight.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 11th Mar 18, 3:56 PM
    • 6,164 Posts
    • 22,548 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Happy Mothers Day HHOD

Sounds like youve had a lovely weekend, glad your appetite is back xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £5419.83 - 08/04/18 - 76.61% paid off
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 11th Mar 18, 4:26 PM
    • 4,119 Posts
    • 28,035 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Glad that you had a lovely time yesterday.
    Enjoy your meal tonight.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Happy Mothers Day HHOD

Sounds like youve had a lovely weekend, glad your appetite is back xx
    Originally posted by mummytogirls
    Thanks both . DS2 has just given me a box of Roses, I can't believe they all remembered . It's really sweet of them.
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 11th Mar 18, 4:36 PM
    • 649 Posts
    • 7,230 Thanks
    117pauline
    Glad to hear the flu is on its way out. It seems to have hit particularly hard this year.

It's so difficult to tread the delicate line between being caring and interfering in the eyes of your children. It's one I have never mastered unfortunately. All you want to do is protect your child from heartache through your own personal experience but, of course, we don't understand!! After all, we have never been young and in love.

Changing the subject, isn't it wonderful to see blue sky, sun and plants growing?

Take it easy tomorrow, have a good week

Take care honey
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 11th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    • 4,119 Posts
    • 28,035 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thank you Pauline .

It is a hard balance. DH and I try to sow seeds when we talk to the DC and hope that they take root. But ultimately we have to hope that a (hopefully) good upbringing and (hopefully) good role models will see them right eventually.

We just want all the DC to be happy, and try to have no expectations beyond that.
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 11th Mar 18, 5:51 PM
    • 1,788 Posts
    • 10,769 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Glad to hear you are on the mend , and that your Mother's Day sounds like it has been a good family day . X
    CC1 £3655 April 2018.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Mar 18, 7:15 PM
    • 53,939 Posts
    • 213,716 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yes, that is all I want for my Ds~~for him to be happy.
    I dont care what type of work he does or material things.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 11th Mar 18, 7:17 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 5,052 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Happy Mother's day. Enjoy your meal today, and I am glad you are back on the mend and enjoying everything again. x
    September 6th 2017 - Updated 13th May 2018
    Credit Card £0 now: £460 Tesco Loan £7500 = £0 Consolidation £15,000 = £13,855 Total = £25,330 £14,315 43% gone EMF #252 = £700/£1000
    Sealed pot challenge #589
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #71
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 12th Mar 18, 12:12 AM
    • 4,995 Posts
    • 28,758 Thanks
    in need of direction
    We solved the loo roll use mystery in this house when we discovered dd's habit. Any night out, she would bring a toilet roll with her in case the toilets didn't have any and this would be passed round her friends!
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £75,897.72, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £227.27 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £0.7/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss RUBBISH need to refocus
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 12th Mar 18, 6:06 PM
    • 4,119 Posts
    • 28,035 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Glad to hear you are on the mend , and that your Mother's Day sounds like it has been a good family day . X
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Happy Mother's day. Enjoy your meal today, and I am glad you are back on the mend and enjoying everything again. x
    Originally posted by Nicnak
    Thank you we had a good time
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 12th Mar 18, 6:07 PM
    • 4,119 Posts
    • 28,035 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    We solved the loo roll use mystery in this house when we discovered dd's habit. Any night out, she would bring a toilet roll with her in case the toilets didn't have any and this would be passed round her friends!
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    How often did she go out?
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 12th Mar 18, 6:14 PM
    • 4,119 Posts
    • 28,035 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I hope everyone is having a good Monday (is that possible?).

I did some work in the office this morning but stopped at lunchtime as I felt so shattered. Looking up and down from my desk to the computer was making me feel seasick. It's ridiculous that I still feel like this after four weeks .

At least I've deleted four weeks of spam emails from my inbox. I also did an Oracle survey for YG. If only I could win two thousand pounds!

I did some housework this afternoon but tried not to do too much as I get tired so quickly. I was literally nodding off earlier. When will I be back to normal?
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 12th Mar 18, 6:52 PM
    • 1,788 Posts
    • 10,769 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    I still feel shattered after 3 weeks of the awful virus having gone , but I do feel more myself . Just listen to your body , it will let you know when it's better .
    CC1 £3655 April 2018.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Mar 18, 7:31 PM
    • 53,939 Posts
    • 213,716 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sorry, I need the 2000 quid.
    Also need more YG surveys.

***Keep plodding***
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 12th Mar 18, 8:04 PM
    • 8,793 Posts
    • 51,394 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    I only need 875 points to cash out on YouGov Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in 2018 26/60
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 12th Mar 18, 8:23 PM
    • 4,119 Posts
    • 28,035 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I still feel shattered after 3 weeks of the awful virus having gone , but I do feel more myself . Just listen to your body , it will let you know when it's better .
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    I hope we both hsve more energy soon

Sorry, I need the 2000 quid.
    Also need more YG surveys.
    Originally posted by beanielou

I only need 875 points to cash out on YouGov Xx
    Originally posted by please-let-me-be-lucky
    Lucky you I'm miles away!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Mar 18, 8:30 PM
    • 53,939 Posts
    • 213,716 Thanks
    beanielou
    Lucky, you will get more than me.
    I hardly seem to get any since DS left home & there is only the cat & I

***Keep plodding***
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 12th Mar 18, 8:41 PM
    • 8,793 Posts
    • 51,394 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    I donít get a survey every day, but I probably get 3 or 4 a week. I get lots about what I watched on tv the day before, and then another usually follows on from that.
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in 2018 26/60
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

76Posts Today

2,028Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin