Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    • 3,896Posts
    • 26,003Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    • 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally 24th Sep 17 at 1:22 PM
    My DH and I have been in debt for 34 Years, apart from brief periods, ever since I was offered my first credit card at the tender age of19.

Our debts were caused by us being impulsive spenders and not being very skilled at budgeting or managing our money, so we know it is our own fault. We always believed that one day we would have more money, mysteriously, and that this would bail us out .

Our full light bulb moment came when we realised, "What if we never have any more money than we do right now?"

A couple of years ago we were coping with the minimum payments, but didn't have enough to overpay on any of them. We were forking out £1300 a month in minimum payments, and the interest alone was £1000 a month .

But then in 2015 our small business started to bring in less, and a family bereavement, and illness affected our ability to work. We could no longer afford the minimum repayments and we were scared we would lose our home. We were stricken with stress and depression .

Step Change shone a light in the darkness for us and they arranged for us to make token payments of £1 a month to our creditors. This saved our sanity and we were reassured that our home was unlikely to be taken from us.

My DH recently turned 55 and drew out his pension so that we could make full and final offers to our creditors. All but one accepted an offer of 50% of what we owed (which is all we had to offer). We are continuing negotiations with the final creditor and hope to be debt free by Christmas .

Being so close to being debt free has made me realise what a heavy burden the debts have been all these years, like living our lives wearing lead boots.

Once we are debt free we will still need to live very frugally because we have no emergency fund or savings, and our income can be irregular. I hope that starting a diary will help to focus me on frugal living, avoid impulsive spends, and keep my spirits up. Because frugal living can be a lonely and isolating experience.

This site and Step Change has helped me so much, and I hope that my diary will help to inspire others that it's never too late to change your life .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 18-11-2017 at 9:49 AM.
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    Emergency Fund 1 = £281.59/Emergency Fund 2 = £41.81/Loss of Income Fund £0
Page 104
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 6th Feb 18, 9:32 PM
    • 1,604 Posts
    • 9,556 Thanks
    redofromstart
    White fish with veg - I make these with value white fish, veg oil and whatever frozen veg I have. There are fairly low effort and taste ok in the microwave but would work in the oven too.

Garlic powder (70p) would work well in his yoghurt, I sometimes mix low fat yoghurt with value mayo, lemon juice and garlic powder for a dip.

Simple soups that don't need blending then? Nice filling chunky soups.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 6th Feb 18, 9:38 PM
    • 3,896 Posts
    • 26,003 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Yes I could try those Redo. I need to try and put a bit more thought into my meal planning. Thanks for the suggestions .
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Feb 18, 9:43 PM
    • 52,776 Posts
    • 207,449 Thanks
    beanielou
    Mine was only about a fiver a couple of years ago.
    Sainsbugs basics.
    Hand blender.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 6th Feb 18, 9:52 PM
    • 3,896 Posts
    • 26,003 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    That's a good price beanie.

I'm off to bed now as we have to get up at silly o'clock tomorrow .
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Feb 18, 10:02 PM
    • 52,776 Posts
    • 207,449 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope your DS gets away ok.
    Sleep well.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Feb 18, 2:06 AM
    • 3,896 Posts
    • 26,003 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Hope your DS gets away ok.
    Sleep well.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks beanie .

It's silly o'clock and I've got up now
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 7th Feb 18, 7:10 AM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 6,981 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning HHD

I hope you managed to get back to bed and get some sleep. I thought I was tired but have nothing on you. Your diary has made me hungry this morning.

Snack ideas - tapenade with oat cakes, houmous, boiled eggs. I also got told by nutritionist to eat protein with each meal, eat with no distractions ( which is surprisingly hard for me) and to chew each mouthful at least 30 times. I found I donít eat as much when I do all that. Itís eating mindfully which is easier said than done.
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 7th Feb 18, 7:15 AM
    • 4,336 Posts
    • 24,424 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Just catching up HHOD, hope you are not too tired today with getting up so early to take DS2 to the airport - I hope he has a fab time.

So sorry to read that DH had a TIA - hopefully as you say it will be a warning to him and he will start taking better care of himself.

My DH takes loads of medication and once I week I put them all in dosette boxes which have 4 compartments and also the days of the week on so if he tells me he has taken his tablets I can easily check if he really has.
    I veer between getting annoyed that I basically have to mother him and get his tablets ready to knowing that if I don't and he forgets he is actually quite poorly for days on end and actually that annoys me as well.

Maybe its what we signed up for when we took our vows????
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 34 for April
    NSD - 0/15
    (up to 2/4/18)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Feb 18, 7:40 AM
    • 3,896 Posts
    • 26,003 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Morning HHD

I hope you managed to get back to bed and get some sleep. I thought I was tired but have nothing on you. Your diary has made me hungry this morning.

Snack ideas - tapenade with oat cakes, houmous, boiled eggs. I also got told by nutritionist to eat protein with each meal, eat with no distractions ( which is surprisingly hard for me) and to chew each mouthful at least 30 times. I found I donít eat as much when I do all that. Itís eating mindfully which is easier said than done.
    Originally posted by Munchin
    I'm still awake .

What's tapenade? DH likes houmous and boiled eggs. He should eat more slowly as he tends to bolt his food whilst watching something on his tablet, so very unmindful!
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Feb 18, 7:44 AM
    • 3,896 Posts
    • 26,003 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Just catching up HHOD, hope you are not too tired today with getting up so early to take DS2 to the airport - I hope he has a fab time.

So sorry to read that DH had a TIA - hopefully as you say it will be a warning to him and he will start taking better care of himself.

My DH takes loads of medication and once I week I put them all in dosette boxes which have 4 compartments and also the days of the week on so if he tells me he has taken his tablets I can easily check if he really has.
    I veer between getting annoyed that I basically have to mother him and get his tablets ready to knowing that if I don't and he forgets he is actually quite poorly for days on end and actually that annoys me as well.

Maybe its what we signed up for when we took our vows????
    Originally posted by Eager_Elephant
    Thanks EE . DH has a pill box with compartments for each day of the week, but still manages to forget sometimes . But at least he can see at a glance which ones he has already had.

The tick list on my tablet seems to be working quite well at the moment, so we'll have to see how that goes.

I bet a lot of women have to mother their OH's, where would they be without us?
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Feb 18, 7:46 AM
    • 3,896 Posts
    • 26,003 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'm still awake . Not been back from the airport long. DS2 let us sit with him for a couple of hours before he went through security and even let me take his photo. We had some real quality time with him .

His plane has only just taken off (half an hour late). He'll be in Manchester in time for breakfast.

I'm going to go back to bed for a few hours late morning, once DS2 is on his long flight to America. I only had two and a half hours sleep so I feel like the living dead .
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Feb 18, 8:16 AM
    • 52,776 Posts
    • 207,449 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that is DS on the first leg of his journey.
    to 2 1/2 hours sleep.

***Keep plodding***
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 7th Feb 18, 9:00 AM
    • 1,683 Posts
    • 9,958 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    HHOD I am sorry to hear that you and Mr H have had your own visit to hospital. TIA are warnings , is Mr H having any follow up appointments? I know losing weight may help but we have a close family member who is slim and active and he had a full stroke , but it is good to heed the warning.

DS2 at Manchester airport some 20 mins from me , he will be fine and have a wonderful holiday . Am glad you got tenancy and passport sorted.

Hope you get a sleep later .
    CC1 £3655 April 2018.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Feb 18, 4:17 PM
    • 3,896 Posts
    • 26,003 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Glad that is DS on the first leg of his journey.
    to 2 1/2 hours sleep.
    Thanks beanie

HHOD I am sorry to hear that you and Mr H have had your own visit to hospital. TIA are warnings , is Mr H having any follow up appointments? I know losing weight may help but we have a close family member who is slim and active and he had a full stroke , but it is good to heed the warning.

DS2 at Manchester airport some 20 mins from me , he will be fine and have a wonderful holiday . Am glad you got tenancy and passport sorted.

Hope you get a sleep later .
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Thanks Cumbria . The neurologist said he needs to go to the doctor several times to have his blood pressure monitored and prescribed a blood thinner to take alongside his existing medication.

DH is on his way to Atlanta now . I miss him already .

I've managed a nap so feel less tired now .
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Feb 18, 5:04 PM
    • 52,776 Posts
    • 207,449 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad you have had a nap.
    I miss my DS all the time.

***Keep plodding***
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 7th Feb 18, 6:58 PM
    • 8,762 Posts
    • 51,096 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Hope DSís journey is continuing smoothly.

A little bit of mint sauce mixed into fat free natural yogurt makes a lovely dip. Or sauce for cold pasta. Like Tzatziki.
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in 2018 25/60
    Lbs lost 16/107.
    Savings for Florida £220.00/£1000
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 7th Feb 18, 7:26 PM
    • 1,416 Posts
    • 11,793 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Hope you're okay and DS's journey has continued well

x
    ďOnce you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.Ē
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Feb 18, 7:26 PM
    • 3,896 Posts
    • 26,003 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Glad you have had a nap.
    I miss my DS all the time.

Hope DSís journey is continuing smoothly.

A little bit of mint sauce mixed into fat free natural yogurt makes a lovely dip. Or sauce for cold pasta. Like Tzatziki.
    Originally posted by please-let-me-be-lucky
    Thanks Lucky . He should land in about an hour.

Mmmm that sounds nice mint sauce in yoghurt.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 7th Feb 18, 8:31 PM
    • 1,604 Posts
    • 9,556 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I like mint sauce in yoghurt too - works well with the value/basic varieties, nice with dip sticks of cucumber or cubes of it in.

I had a basic argos stick blender, was about £5 and was brilliant, lasted me for years. Its OH who buys the gadgets, not me.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Feb 18, 9:04 PM
    • 3,896 Posts
    • 26,003 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'll have to check out Argos. It would be useful. DS2 and 3 also managed to break DH's mini chopper whilst making the same flapjack .

DS2 is in Atlanta now but his next plane is delayed now so he's got a three hour stopover . It's going to be a late night for us .

He's not checking his messages atm but luckily we have flight tracker, great for stalking your grown up children .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,989Posts Today

8,381Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm retweeting this so people can judge my 'non-apology' for themselves. Yet I am gen? https://t.co/ALnjaDtZcm

• I don't shush women. But did wrongly shush a woman, u, not due to gender, but as u patronisingly offered me an unpa? https://t.co/jCYTb7aFYt

• Harassing people who are hospitalised for mental health issues helps no one. Giving breathing space to put finance? https://t.co/L02RzMDoEs

• Follow Martin