Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aurora Blue
    • By Aurora Blue 21st Sep 17, 8:43 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Aurora Blue
    Iresa energy complaints - warning!
    • 21st Sep 17, 8:43 AM
    Iresa energy complaints - warning! 21st Sep 17 at 8:43 AM
    If you are considering switching to Iresa Energy be extreamly careful and read other posts about them. Complaints concerning them rose so quickly that the regulator Ofcom instructed them to stop taking customers on in the Spring of 2017. See other MSE threads to confirm this point and also IRESAs website.

In my personal experience I can understand why. I joined them in February and call waiting times just to get through exceeded 60 minutes in the months of February, March, April, May and June.

You can send messages online but the response time was between two to three weeks in those months and in my case I needed to change a direct debit amount as our energy usage had reduced by 75% as we were not living at the property. Normally this would be just a matter of a simple phone call or making the change online yourself, but you can't do that with Iresa

You would think this would be a simple case of calling your energy supplier and arranging it over the phone, that might take about 10 to 20 minutes typically and I've done it in less than 10 minutes with one energy firm and it showed 48hrs later on my bank account. Not so with Iresa. Their system is so tightly controlled that after waiting more that an hour to just get through, customer services then tell you they can't amend direct debits as its not in their control. They advised me that (i) direct debits are only reviewed every six months, (ii) they cannot make changes to direct debits and only the 'finance team can' and (iii) that department doesn't take calls and only customer services takes calls. You can see the futile 'circular argument' there and you can imagine how you'd be feeling after being on hold for over an hour. So I tried to make an over the phone payment for the four months of energy used which was 30. "Sorry we don't take over the phone payments" was the reply. I asked were there any other ways to make the payment and the person I spoke to put me on hold to go and check. They came back and replied that Iresa only took direct debit payments. You would think that if they only have one method of payment the staff answering the phone would know this as part of their training before they are answering the phone.

Anyway, I requested a direct debit amendment and three weeks later to the day, after three priority messages were sent to 'the finance team", I got a reply back saying they had amended my direct debit but did I know I owed them money? ...at this point I gave up and switched supplier as I realised it was futile and that the level of service is so inept and slow, that I was just wasting my time. Even after the money left my account 25 days later after the original phone call, it still isn't showing as paid on my account and it still has a negative balance. I am sure there are thousands of other customers out there who have similar stories, hence the complaint levels being so high and the regulator forcing them to stop taking on customers.

Is it cheap? Yes. Should you move to them? You will save some money initially but eventually prices will rise. More importantly, should the tiniest thing go wrong or you need to use customer services, you're in for a major shock, a large phone bill and a massive headache. Think of it like this... Remember that time when you called the most polite yet incompetant over seas customer services call center who "will be happy to help you with your problem today" but two hours later are you stil oncourse to accomplishing 'nothing', you've wasted 120 minutes out of your call plan and they just keep repeating... "I would like to help you but I can't"... "Do you realise you owe us money Sir?".... it's like that.

It would be marginally smarter and less painful to run full speed at a brick wall... head first.

Page 2
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 1st Mar 18, 8:48 PM
    • 2,284 Posts
    • 3,084 Thanks
    Robisere
    Just the abysmal communication times would put me off, never mind all the exensive complaints about service and other problems. I can email my supplier or use their excellent chatline if I need to. However, the only times I contact them, is to send a meter reading every couple of months, or set up another tariff. A response is never more than 48 hours away and my tariff is competitive. Good customer service and fast response to a problem, why should I switch from EDF?
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • Kiredoryor
    • By Kiredoryor 9th Mar 18, 5:48 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kiredoryor
    I think IRESA are fine while everything is just going on OK, but if a problem does arise they seem unable or unwilling to do anything about it.
    Their meter reading recording system seems to have some problems. Even when a reading is accepted they will sometimes put in estimated values. I've experienced this over the past 4 months. The estimated reading are very high so they have upped the Direct Debit and then additionally taken an extra payment. I had assumed that this could be sorted out easily as I've emailed the correct readings (18 times now!) sent messages to their Support Ticket system (12) all of which have been ignored. I've tried phoning but believe that one shouldn't have to wait over an hour and as I was still over 15th in the queue on each occasion just gave up.
    It is a shame as, until November, I thought they were quite good. I imagine that they employ very few people so are unable to sort out glitches. There is no penalty for leaving them so I've arranged with my bank to cancel the Direct Debit and will move. They owe me over 150 which I guess may also ber a battle.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 9th Mar 18, 11:09 PM
    • 18,807 Posts
    • 12,988 Thanks
    molerat
    Use the ombudsman, it works.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • MontyBest
    • By MontyBest 12th Mar 18, 8:30 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MontyBest
    Update to continuing issues with Iresa
    IRESA uses sharp practices, possibly fraudulent to increase direct debits. The latest can finally be seen from their own readings, I put in my February reading on the 26th of February, my contract ends in April. They have increased my monthly DD from 120 to 140 then a staggering 169, after the February account I had a 222 credit.

The next time I looked my credit had been slashed to 30.00.

I had already advised IRESA not to take the March payment, but after 14 days had no reply.

When I looked at why the monies had diminished it could be found in their ridiculously high estimate between my reading on the 26th February & their estimate made on the 28th February which meant I used the same amount of electricity in two days as I do in an entire month.

I am certain that IRESA hikes the estimated usage in order to increase their bank balance, you can see scores of people hundreds even who have a devil of a time getting their money back

This is a comppany that all should avoid!
    • unwina
    • By unwina 21st Mar 18, 5:52 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    unwina
    Update to continuing issues with Iresa
    I am transferring to Avro next week but so far Iresa has

* notified me that Avro have requested my transfer - All Ok so far.
    * Opened up a renewed contract with themselves for both fuels at higher rates without my permission!!!
    * Their billing system has double billed all my leccy bills suggesting I owe >400.

I can't seem to get them interested in my DMs, tweets or my entries on their reporting system as I have been trying for days to get them to speak to me on twitter and their internal systems etc.

My last DD went from my bank yesterday, so I decided to cut my losses and stop any further DD's going forwards. I have no idea where this will go but I owe them nothing as far as I can tell but their systems will disagree. I have copied everything and can show they are in error.

Time will tell.....
    Last edited by unwina; 21-03-2018 at 6:32 PM.
    • MontyBest
    • By MontyBest 27th Mar 18, 6:16 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MontyBest
    Great minds and all that....
    I've done exactly the same as you. They don't reply to any tickets, so I cancelled by direct debit, they also estimate ludicrous amounts of usage. For instance, I put my readings in February on the 26th they estimated a whole months use of electricity for the 2 days to the end of the month! They are very dodgy, but so long as I can cancel the DD I don't care. BTW I only put my readings in on the last day of the month!
    • RoyBrock7898
    • By RoyBrock7898 27th Mar 18, 8:20 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    RoyBrock7898
    After a year of problems over direct debits, meter readings, etc., I finally switched supplier last week. Today I got an email from Iresa:

This is to inform you that we received a request to switch your ELECTRICITY supply from Iresa to a new supplier. We have denied the switch because there is an outstanding debt on the ELECTRICITY account
    Originally posted by Zarjaz
    This probably explains my problem.

First I agree with the OP, their contact system is dreadful. When you do get through (I managed twice in a year) their operators are very good.

Anyway I sold my house in January and finally got substantial refunds 6 weeks later. Good!

I then moved into a new house and was told the supplier was EON. I switched to EDF and the gas transfer went ahead smoothly. They were not allowed to take over the Electricity account. I rang EDF and they were able to tell me the supplier was actually IRESA.

Now I no longer have, nor wish to have, an account with IRESA and I don't know for a fact who is paying the electricity bills, but it isn't me. It may be the previous tenant, it may be the vendor. My solicitor has contacted the seller's solicitor but not reply yet.

They are now 10 days over their 5 day email response time.

As the OP said, you can be in the phone queue can be in the hundreds. At 8am sharp I was 25 in the queue, now, 19 minutes later, I am down to 11.

Any ideas how I can move things on as OFCOM say they have 3 months (?) to respond.

Lastly:
    DO NOT USE IRESA
    • RoyBrock7898
    • By RoyBrock7898 27th Mar 18, 9:13 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    RoyBrock7898
    After a hold of 40 minutes I eventually got through to IRESA. In contrast to getting through, their operators are unfailingly polite and effective.

It seems no one has been paying the bill since October but obviously their system doesn't notice this (we still get monthly reminders to send reading for our previous home).

Anyway I have now given them the reading from out date of occupation and they have agreed to release the account to EDF. Now we wait and see what happens.
    • nicknike
    • By nicknike 4th Apr 18, 2:00 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    nicknike
    I send in my meter readings when requested, I pay the monthly DD, and my account is all correct on their web site. I even check it with an accurate spreadsheet. I have no problems with them at all.
    • Kiredoryor
    • By Kiredoryor 2nd Jun 18, 1:21 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kiredoryor
    IRESA Bank Account
    I wonder if anyone knows IRESA's bank account details.

I have similar experiences to the many listed so won't repeat IRESA's well known shortcomings.

I keep track of my exact expenditure and balance with a spreadsheet and stopped the Direct Debit in January when over 300 in credit. The account is now just a few pounds in credit. I am not prepared to let IRESA have a Direct Debit as I can't trust them not to abuse the facility again. However, I do not wish to owe these people money and provide them with any excuse to stop me switching etc. so I want to set up a Standing Order to make the correct average monthly payments.
    Would be grateful if anyone can give me their bank account details.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 2nd Jun 18, 2:58 PM
    • 4,885 Posts
    • 2,026 Thanks
    brewerdave
    I wonder if anyone knows IRESA's bank account details.

I have similar experiences to the many listed so won't repeat IRESA's well known shortcomings.

I keep track of my exact expenditure and balance with a spreadsheet and stopped the Direct Debit in January when over 300 in credit. The account is now just a few pounds in credit. I am not prepared to let IRESA have a Direct Debit as I can't trust them not to abuse the facility again. However, I do not wish to owe these people money and provide them with any excuse to stop me switching etc. so I want to set up a Standing Order to make the correct average monthly payments.
    Would be grateful if anyone can give me their bank account details.
    Originally posted by Kiredoryor
    Even if you can find out the correct details, I wouldn't risk it! The chances of IRESA identifying that the payments came from you are effectively zero. Also, I'm not aware that they allow any method other than DD for payment -its buried somewhere in the ts and cs.
    • rusty frog
    • By rusty frog 11th Jun 18, 9:17 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    rusty frog
    I owe them 37 after switching in February.
    The direct debit was stopped the month before as I was in credit.
    I dont dispute the 37 but after requesting their bank details to several times enable payment, and receiving an auto acknowledgements, nothing.
    I am not complaining!
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,230Posts Today

6,236Users online

Martin's Twitter