Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • savvysearcher
    • By savvysearcher 17th Sep 17, 7:19 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 1Thanks
    savvysearcher
    BMW timing chain snapped
    • 17th Sep 17, 7:19 PM
    BMW timing chain snapped 17th Sep 17 at 7:19 PM
    Hi, in need of some advice from all you fellow motorists. My wife has a BMW 1-Series 61 plate, diesel, 80K mileage. Last week the timing chain (aka Cam belt) broke without any prior warning/noise while the car was in motion. The car was towed to a nearby independent garage. The car is out of warranty hence i figured the independent garage repair bill would be far less than taking it to BMW. However as expected still a hefty garage bill to repair the damage to the engine, valves and a new chain. Question I have is that the car has been serviced regularly by BMW (last full service Dec 2016 and no issues with timing chain noted) can BMW be held liable for the repair or funding part of the repair given if it was checked then the wear of the chain may have been spotted and replacement advised. I rang BMW and cited that at the December full service was the Timing Chain checked? Response given the chain is expected to run the life of the car despite mileage or years and they do not check the chain on a service unless there is a reason to. I find it difficult to understand why the timing chain is not checked at full services given the crucial part it plays and extensive damage it can cause when it snaps. Currently the car is being repaired and I am wondering if its worth my while pursuing this with BMW - suggestions welcome please, thanks in advance.
Page 2
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Mar 18, 2:34 PM
    • 16,605 Posts
    • 9,793 Thanks
    motorguy
    Even more reason to have taken it straight back to BMW then.
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    Do BMW themselves say that though?
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 12th Mar 18, 2:45 PM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 2,042 Thanks
    Tarambor
    +1

18,000 miles is far too much on a diesel
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Depends on the design of the vehicle. One of the trucks I've driven, a Mercedes Actros, uses a centrifugal oil cleaner and is on 100,000km oil changes. Given they're not broken down at the side of the road and manage several hundred thousand kilometres without a spanner being put near the engine suggests it isn't an issues.

Engineering Explained covers long life Mobil oil which claims to be good for 20,000 mile oil changes and looks at their test procedure with Mobil giving him in house access to their tests. They ran vehicles for 300,000 miles, checking every 5,000 miles for wear, and pulled apart the engines and they were fine. They had one they ran to 500,000 miles and the only thing to fail was the automatic gearbox, engine wear was very light.

We don't live in the 1970s any more either with the oils we use or the tolerances engines are built to.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 12th Mar 18, 3:03 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 1,178 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Do BMW themselves say that though?
    I don't know - the OP said it was the response given by the BMW when they phoned up.

My next comment would have been "well this one hasn't".
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Mar 18, 3:06 PM
    • 16,605 Posts
    • 9,793 Thanks
    motorguy
    Depends on the design of the vehicle. One of the trucks I've driven, a Mercedes Actros, uses a centrifugal oil cleaner and is on 100,000km oil changes. Given they're not broken down at the side of the road and manage several hundred thousand kilometres without a spanner being put near the engine suggests it isn't an issues.

Engineering Explained covers long life Mobil oil which claims to be good for 20,000 mile oil changes and looks at their test procedure with Mobil giving him in house access to their tests. They ran vehicles for 300,000 miles, checking every 5,000 miles for wear, and pulled apart the engines and they were fine. They had one they ran to 500,000 miles and the only thing to fail was the automatic gearbox, engine wear was very light.

We don't live in the 1970s any more either with the oils we use or the tolerances engines are built to.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Sorry, i thought we were talking about BMW cars here - not industrial vehicles with oil cleaning capabilities?

That BMW engine is known for oil usage and with diesel engines particularly you will get an element of pollution over time from the fuel itself in to the oil.

I personally wouldnt trust it over that miles between services and that IMHO was borne out for us with our extra servicing / oil checking regularly and tends to be borne out with others experience too.

I would almost guarantee the engines that have had chain failure get serviced only at the service interval at best, and never get checked for oil between one service and the next.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Mar 18, 3:10 PM
    • 16,605 Posts
    • 9,793 Thanks
    motorguy
    I don't know - the OP said it was the response given by the BMW when they phoned up.

My next comment would have been "well this one hasn't".
    I guess there is a difference between "expected to" and "warranted or guaranteed" to.

Maybe thats their get out?
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 12th Mar 18, 3:42 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 1,178 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    I guess there is a difference between "expected to" and "warranted or guaranteed" to.

Maybe thats their get out?
    Indeed - but surely would have been worth a go (assuming nobody else has mucked about with it first).

MG didn't expect the head gasket to go on my MGF at 16,000 when it was just a couple of months out of warranty but they still took the hit on sorting it out.
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 12th Mar 18, 5:45 PM
    • 1,756 Posts
    • 1,528 Thanks
    eschaton
    MG didn't expect the head gasket to go on my MGF at 16,000 when it was just a couple of months out of warranty but they still took the hit on sorting it out.
    Why not? Not exactly something unusual on an MG.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,301Posts Today

7,627Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin