Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • sortofwinning
    • By sortofwinning 16th Sep 17, 8:27 PM
    • 113Posts
    • 45Thanks
    0 WOW
    Urgent passport advice?
    • #1
    • 16th Sep 17, 8:27 PM
    0 WOW
    Urgent passport advice? 16th Sep 17 at 8:27 PM
    Hello, I'm based in Belfast and am due to travel to England in three weeks time for a diploma course. I booked Easyjet flights to Birmingham, then afterwards noticed my driving license was out of date. Last year, I was put on a one year medical license. I have only very recently found out that on two separate occasions, my consultant failed to send a report to the DVLA, and so they will not renew my license, and my consultant has now left her place of work, don't know where she's gone, she's the one who's got the paperwork or her admin staff threw it in the bin when she left, don't know that either, and basically my license, through no fault of my own, won't get renewed in the next three weeks. Easyjet allows you to fly with a fairly recently expired passport, but not with an expired driving license.

    So I then booked ferries over, as the Stena website says they will let you travel with just a utility bill, but it's an overnight, 8-hour haul which I won't sleep on and which leaves me in Birkenhead at 6am on a Sunday morning, with the first train I can get not available til two and a half hours later. So I will still get to my course one way or another, but I'd definitely rather fly.

    Can anyone advise me on whether or not I could get an urgent passport if I haven't held a British one before, and have held an Irish one which is now 20 years out of date (I only ever fly domestically and my driving license was always fine for that)? I don't care whether I get an Irish or British one, I just want an urgent one. I was told by a woman in the Post Office that if I reapply for an Irish one, because it expired so long ago, my application will be treated as if it was a first time application, but I didn't ask her about urgent ones, as I didn't realise until I read the form how long normal ones take.

    I do remember getting an urgent one, the Irish one, about thirty years ago by going and sitting in the passport office in Belfast, but I don't know if procedures have changed, and someone told me I might now have to go to Dublin for an urgent Irish one. I'd rather not have to do that but might consider it if I can't get an urgent British one in Belfast.

    I know that the best people to ask are the passport offices but I know that if I do that on Monday, I'll probably be on hold for a total of about three hours between the two of them. I will end up ringing one or both of them on Monday anyway, but I'm just trying to get a heads up in here. I'll still get to my course so it's not critical, it's just to save me a lot of extra travel time.

    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by sortofwinning; 16-09-2017 at 8:28 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 16th Sep 17, 8:56 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 3,927 Thanks
    • #2
    • 16th Sep 17, 8:56 PM
    • #2
    • 16th Sep 17, 8:56 PM
    You can't get a first passport on the fast track service. You wouldn't qualify for an emergency travel document either.

    No idea on the Irish passport. What does Google tell you?
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 17th Sep 17, 9:06 AM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 1,792 Thanks
    • #3
    • 17th Sep 17, 9:06 AM
    • #3
    • 17th Sep 17, 9:06 AM
    Flybe accept the following documents. Are any of these an option?

    Domestic travel - all must be photographic unless otherwise stated
    A valid passport
    An expired passport (domestic flights only up to two years after expiry)
    Valid EU or Swiss national identity card
    Valid driving licence (Full or Provisional are accepted)
    Valid armed forces identity card
    Valid police warrant card/badge
    Valid airport employees security identity pass
    A child on parentí s passport is an acceptable form of ID
    CitizenCard or Civillian Card
    Valid firearm certificate
    Valid Government-issued identity card
    SMART card
    Electoral identity card
    NUS card (National Union of Students)
    University/college ID card
    Company ID card of nationally recognised company
    Council issued bus pass
    Pension book (the only acceptable form of non-photographic identification)
    Young Scot card
    Disabled badges which have a photograph of the holder
    Certificate of Competency issued by the Government (domestic routes only, must be photographic)
    VALIDATE UK PASS photographic proof of age cards
    I got a letter from the government the other day. I opened it and read it. It said they were suckers.
    • sortofwinning
    • By sortofwinning 17th Sep 17, 4:45 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    • #4
    • 17th Sep 17, 4:45 PM
    • #4
    • 17th Sep 17, 4:45 PM
    Thanks IAmWales and Ballard. Google basically said that for the Irish one, for people wanting the passport in three weeks or less, you have to go to a passport office. But as far as I can tell, the passport office is in Dublin, and all NI applications get done only through the post office. So I think for the Irish one I would have to go to Dublin, where it seems I could pay extra to get a passport in 3-5 days.

    Ballard, I haven't got any of those at the minute, nor any idea of how long it takes to get them - I do recall seeing something similar on the Easyjet website but dismissing it cos I'd no idea how to get them. But now I'm thinking they're worth looking into in case they'll save me a trip to Dublin, or else they'll save me a 10 hour ferry trip. I'll do a bit of Googling of those later this evening.

    Thanks again.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 17th Sep 17, 4:58 PM
    • 10,135 Posts
    • 11,406 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • #5
    • 17th Sep 17, 4:58 PM
    • #5
    • 17th Sep 17, 4:58 PM
    Ballard, I haven't got any of those at the minute, nor any idea of how long it takes to get them.
    Originally posted by sortofwinning
    One of these:
    might be your best bet for Flybe
    £30 for the rush service (1-2 working days) and provided you have a suitable proof of id:
    birth certificate
    certified copy of a birth certificate
    NHS Medical Card
    CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) Check document
    European Health Insurance Card.
    Then someone who knows you personally can countersign the application and it doesn't need to be a professional person provided that they are in full time employment.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

106Posts Today

1,096Users online

Martin's Twitter