Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • RainbowLaura
    • By RainbowLaura 16th Sep 17, 5:40 PM
    • 184Posts
    • 25Thanks
    Decorating over an uneven crack
    • #1
    • 16th Sep 17, 5:40 PM
    Decorating over an uneven crack 16th Sep 17 at 5:40 PM
    Hi everyone,

    We've come to decorate our loft room (which is not a conversion but part of the original house, built in 2000) and have found this crack on one of the outside walls:

    It's completely vertical, it's just the picture that's wonky. It runs the entire height of the wall (but it's a short wall of 2 or 3ft due to the slope of the roof) and then goes horizontal for a bit too where the sloped ceiling and wall meet.

    The real issue is that there is no actual gap as such, it's more that one side of the plasterboard is sort of "pushing out". It's possible to push it back in and make the crack disappear! I will add that the whole house feels like it's made of cardboard and even the exterior walls feel hollow when you knock on them...

    The crack is in the exact spot that the previous owners removed a fitted cupboard (at some point between 5 and 15 years ago) and when I tap on it one side sounds more hollow than the other, so I'm hoping that there's a simple explanation for it other than something structural... although strangely it wasn't there when we moved in about 4 years ago which worries me a bit.

    Anyway, since this wall seems to be wobbly and uneven, I'm not sure how to cover up the crack. If it was a gap then I'd be looking to fill it but there's nothing really to fill!

    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by RainbowLaura; 16-09-2017 at 5:42 PM.
Page 1
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 16th Sep 17, 6:54 PM
    • 8,301 Posts
    • 9,225 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • #2
    • 16th Sep 17, 6:54 PM
    • #2
    • 16th Sep 17, 6:54 PM
    You need to find where the studs are and screw through the plasterboard into the stud, pulling it against the stud and holding it firm.

    It may be that there isn't a stud behind the edge, if it was a later alteration.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,966Posts Today

9,529Users online

Martin's Twitter