Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • ikeymoh
    • By ikeymoh 16th Sep 17, 8:57 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    • #1
    • 16th Sep 17, 8:57 AM
    ignore 16th Sep 17 at 8:57 AM
    please ignore - learner driver at work
    Last edited by ikeymoh; 16-09-2017 at 9:03 AM. Reason: first post - learning how to do it
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 16th Sep 17, 9:09 AM
    • 6,041 Posts
    • 3,719 Thanks
    • #2
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:09 AM
    • #2
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:09 AM
    I'm about to leave the collective energy deal negotiated by MSE. Inevitably, I'm going to be paying more - so - I was wondering about the legality of "over-reading" my meters when I submit my final reads, thereby having a stockpile of enegy at the old price! Actually, I've been exaggerating my reads for the last couple of months so the trend shouldn't be too obvious. Clearly I'm hoping that an actual reader won't come round! Is this legal?After all, I'm only doing what the energy companies do - buy in on the futures market!
    Originally posted by ikeymoh
    You keep asking the same question. It is not legal, and if you could get away with it, it would be fraud.

    Energy suppliers are alive to the possibility of people trying this on. Apart from lying about their meter readings, some people misread their meter or just do not bother to do so on a switch, For these reasons, ALL meter readings on a transfer of supply are verified/confirmed by independent industry data collectors. The data collectors hold past data (meter readings) from your property. If the readings that you provide are different from what is expected, then the Data Collectors will issue estimated readings which are then used by the gaining and losing suppliers to open and close your accounts.

    If the readings that you have provided differ markedly from the estimates produced by the data collectors, then the gaining supplier might raise an Agreed Readings Dispute. The easiest way for this to be resolved is for them to send out a meter reader.

    Edit: I will leave my post as it might help others thinking of doing the same.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,747Posts Today

8,729Users online

Martin's Twitter