Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 15th Sep 17, 10:12 AM
    • 214Posts
    • 96Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    0 WOW
    The Great Hunt: Have you bought discounted food from a cafe at the end of the day?
    • 15th Sep 17, 10:12 AM
    0 WOW
    The Great Hunt: Have you bought discounted food from a cafe at the end of the day? 15th Sep 17 at 10:12 AM
    With the news that 100s of Starbucks stores are now selling half-price food an hour before closing, we want to find out which other national chains offer discounts at the end of the day. If you've seen this happening, we want to hear about it.

Thanks in advance.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 18-09-2017 at 2:29 PM.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • Mary McLary
    • By Mary McLary 20th Sep 17, 7:58 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mary McLary
    • 20th Sep 17, 7:58 AM
    End of day discounts
    • 20th Sep 17, 7:58 AM
    Itsu has been doing this for a while, half an hour before closing. We have a local Turkish cafe TAS, which is the cafe version of its restaurants , that does it too.
    • alreeve27
    • By alreeve27 20th Sep 17, 8:06 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    alreeve27
    • 20th Sep 17, 8:06 AM
    • 20th Sep 17, 8:06 AM
    There's a great app I downloaded called Too Good To Go which I saw on The One Show. It's a social enterprise developed by some London students to reduce food waste. I think it's currently only in London and Brighton, but the idea is that restaurants sign up and offer massively reduced meals in time slots after lunch and dinner, and you order them via the app. Quite a lot on there already. Worth a look!

Toogoodtogo.co.uk
    • tain
    • By tain 20th Sep 17, 9:22 AM
    • 617 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    tain
    • 20th Sep 17, 9:22 AM
    • 20th Sep 17, 9:22 AM
    Wasabi reduce their hot foods like katsu curry around 1 hour before closing. However I've found the quality to be really poor, with food quite obviously been sitting there for 4+ hours.
    • thrifty thelma
    • By thrifty thelma 20th Sep 17, 2:09 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    thrifty thelma
    • 20th Sep 17, 2:09 PM
    Waitrose Cafe
    • 20th Sep 17, 2:09 PM
    My local Waitrose Cafe (Reading) discounts cakes towards the end of the day - the time depends on what time the cafe closes, but usually about 30 minutes to 1 hour before closing.
    • teedy23
    • By teedy23 10th Jan 19, 4:20 PM
    • 2,044 Posts
    • 5,256 Thanks
    teedy23
    • 10th Jan 19, 4:20 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 4:20 PM
    just paid 2:25 for a box from Ibis in Glasgow, to be collected in the morning. This is the first time I have tried this so I'll let you all know how that goes.
    Dabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early
    Street finds for 2018 26:49.
    • Richmond Money Saver
    • By Richmond Money Saver 27th Feb 19, 9:43 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Richmond Money Saver
    • 27th Feb 19, 9:43 AM
    More discounted food!
    • 27th Feb 19, 9:43 AM
    I live in London, so I'm not sure if these restaurants are countrywide, but I've come across the following:

POD: 50% off 30 minutes before closing. I've heard a couple of their branches don't participate but most do so you'll probably need to check with your nearest. No shame in asking!

Abokado: 50% 1 hour before closing. Pretty nice food, and seems to be less well known than Itsu as there's always plenty of varied sushi left.

Tossed: 50% off 1 hour before closing. Salads and soup.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 28th Feb 19, 5:59 AM
    • 31,716 Posts
    • 65,967 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 28th Feb 19, 5:59 AM
    • 28th Feb 19, 5:59 AM
    The days of the Benji's 3-4pm bargain sandwich are over, regrettably. Whilst I agree that food should not be wasted, neither would I want our businesses to close their retail outlets. I'd much rather see the food written off and donated to a daily food bank for hungry families, just in time for dinner.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • szilzsa
    • By szilzsa 20th Jun 19, 6:51 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    szilzsa
    • 20th Jun 19, 6:51 PM
    • 20th Jun 19, 6:51 PM
    K10 near Cannon street and Crush half an hour before closing
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,338Posts Today

7,673Users online

Martin's Twitter