Virgin not at new address

Just discovered that Virgin media is not available at my new address, despite the address being in the middle of a large city 10x the size of the one I currently live in! Pretty flabbergasted by this but it seems they do have quite a few black spots.

I've been with them since 2014 and last September I foolishly agreed to a new 18 month contract after haggling some money off my bill. Is there anything at all I can do? Just continuing to pay it till the end of the contract would be cheaper than the 240 cancellation fee.

Assuming I have to take the hit, would a cheap broadband-only deal and freeview be my best option for the new home? I'll only be there a year maximum.

Comments

• Standard problem, people think they're in an Indian market and haggle, then sign up for long contracts to supply their current address thinking they have got a "deal", then break the contract by moving house without checking that their new address has a VM supply first.

As usual, my advice is do not sign long contracts with VM unless you own your own home and have no plans to move. Really don't if you're in rented and are not a secure tenant.

The early termination charge should never be more than the cost for the remaining months of the contract, so go back to them on that, they cannot justify a charge so high.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, Virgin don't have 100% coverage as it all depends where they've been round to dig the pavements up to lay the cables. With Sky you just bolt a dish on the side of the house, point it in the right direction, cable it up and Bob's your uncle.

Unfortunately IIRC Virgin's contracts are to your address, not to you, so on that basis if you move (whether you want/need/choose to) the T&Cs effectively say if they can't provide a service at your new address that's not Virgin's problem. There are plenty of threads on here about it and a more recent one on the Telegraph website.

You can try phoning them up and complaining, or in one post I saw on here, use the price raise window to get out, one was announced just last month:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/broadband/2017/08/virgin-media-to-hit-customers-with-price-rise-of-up-to-48year--beat-the-hike
  • Thanks for the replies folks - just looked up the price raise window, that seems like a lucky break that will get me out of it.

Fingers crossed there's nothing to trip me up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure