Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • AutumnRose26
    • By AutumnRose26 14th Sep 17, 11:45 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Escape of water - alternative accomodation
    • #1
    • 14th Sep 17, 11:45 AM
    Escape of water - alternative accomodation 14th Sep 17 at 11:45 AM
    On Monday the main water pipe under our bath leaked causing mains pressure water to leak through our living room ceiling.
    It has caused extensive damage to the ceiling, walls and carpet in our living room and hallway. The house now smells and is very damp.
    An assessor appointed by my home insurer came out this morning and has said that drying equipment is needed and someone will call me to arrange them coming in.

    I have tried to get alternative accommodation from my insurer but they have said they will not cover this because upstairs is not affected and we have a working kitchen and bathroom.

    I have a 10 month old daughter and I have told them I don't feel it is safe having a 10 month old baby in an extremely damp house. She crawls everywhere and the downstairs carpet is sodden, so we can't let her downstairs and there is also going to be bulky drying equipment installed soon.

    I have told the insurers the above and they are still saying we can't have alternative accommodation. At the moment we are living out of my mother in laws living room.

    Does anyone know if we have any grounds for fighting for accommodation?

Page 1
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 14th Sep 17, 12:36 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    • #2
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:36 PM
    • #2
    • 14th Sep 17, 12:36 PM
    It sounds like part of your home is habitable, if you have working facilities there is normally no scope for alt accomo cover.

    However, all you can do is raise a formal complaint and escalate it to the FOS after 8 weeks (or if you don't like their final decision).
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 14th Sep 17, 7:32 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 796 Thanks
    • #3
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:32 PM
    • #3
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:32 PM
    Does your policy set out criteria for when alternative accommodation would be granted to refer to?

    Are there still cooking facilities within the property?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

847Posts Today

6,922Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Baldsaint: @MartinSLewis We were on a cruise to the West Indies and America (sun, sun, sun and even more sun) when the beast from the e?

  • RT @MikeHoxard: @MartinSLewis I always want some rain at home when I am away so may garden is okay when get back ... so is that gardenfraud?

  • This is a technical article, but it's a good primer to help understand why a change to accounting practice being di?

  • Follow Martin