Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Chucksmum
    • By Chucksmum 14th Sep 17, 10:37 AM
    • 47Posts
    • 11Thanks
    Buying Land
    • #1
    • 14th Sep 17, 10:37 AM
    Buying Land 14th Sep 17 at 10:37 AM
    I'm buying a piece of land to add to my garden, it is costing me 2000, the solicitor is charging me 550, as I am paying the sellers costs their solicitor is charging me 650. Please does anyone know if there is a cheaper way without having to pay such high charges?
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 14th Sep 17, 10:55 AM
    • 44,697 Posts
    • 53,152 Thanks
    • #2
    • 14th Sep 17, 10:55 AM
    • #2
    • 14th Sep 17, 10:55 AM
    The fees are not that high. They seem like a huge percentage of the value of the land, but the work involved is the same whether you buy land for 2000 or 200,000.

    I'm guessing the land is part of an existing Title? ie it is a corner of a large farmer's field, or a section of a neighbour's garden? In either case, it means splitting off a bit of the seller's Title rather than just transferrring the entire Title into your name (as would be the case if you bought the entire farmer's field).

    So the process involves submitting

    * TP1 (Transfer of Part, rather than a TR1 Transfer of Whole)
    * AP1 (Appliction)
    * ID1 (ID verification)
    supported by a Plan showing the boundary of what is being transferred.

    It may be made further complicated if you are incorporating the land transferred into your existing Title (as opposed to owning that plot separately).

    You could try DIY conveyancing your purchase but would still have to pay the seller's costs as he's unlikely to agree to let you do that part for him, & nor is he likely to agree to DIY his own sale!

    But honestly? Get a solicitor to do it.

    More on TP1 here:

    If on the other hand you are buying an entire field/plot (not dividing it and buying a bit), them more on TR1 here:
    Last edited by G_M; 14-09-2017 at 11:00 AM.
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 14th Sep 17, 11:45 AM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 1,999 Thanks
    • #3
    • 14th Sep 17, 11:45 AM
    • #3
    • 14th Sep 17, 11:45 AM
    Don't forget if this is farmland there will be restrictions on what you can do with it, even if it becomes part of your garden so you might want to check that out before committing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,174Posts Today

8,887Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @samgio1997: So glad you talked about the importance of taking out holiday insurance on this morning as a few years ago my auntie's pare?

  • RT @mmhpi: "Two years ago, I was in the fortunate position to be able to found @mmhpi... I?m incredibly proud of the work the team there is?

  • It means you should either have an annual policy in place, or book a specific single trip policy when you book

  • Follow Martin