PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Restrictive covenants and where to find them

Hi, Hopefully exchanging on a property in the next few weeks and was getting some quotes at the property today when my new neighbours came round to say hello. Now me being one for tea and cake, had a good chat with them and they asked what my plans where for the property - I said a fairly sizeable extension and probably up in the roof as well.

They then came out with the 'fact' that there are restrictive covenants
on the four properties (built by the same person 70 years ago) of which one is supposed restriction of going up in the attics. Realistically, the one we are purchasing is the only one with a roof high enough (all 4 are bungalows but different shapes and roof pitches).

I've already got the previous 2 conveyances (dated 1959 and 1975) which only have an access to drains, responsibility to repair them etc, but nothing else.

I've downloaded the other 3 properties title deeds and plans but there is no mention of restrictive covenants on these either.

Am I missing something simple? I have also asked my solicitor who said they would get back to me next week.

It's not a major issue as just the rear extension will add 60m2 to the property so easily enough but just in case I would like to go up in the future that would be great.

Also, there's no mention of borders and who is responsible for replacing them - I assumed it would be the left but the neighbour said I own the right (between them and me) but again no mention on the register/deeds.

Thanks in advance
30th June 2021 completely debt free…. Downsized, reduced working hours and living the dream.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Are you doing the conveyancing yourself? If so, time to stop!

If not, what did your conveyancer say when you asked this question?

As for the border, there is no rule specifying left (or right), and Title Plans only infrequently specify.
  • You've looked in the right place. If the title documents don't reference any covenants then I can't see how there could be any valid ones. But as G_M says, why not just wait for your solicitor to confirm for certain?

Borders, you've fallen foul of a common misconception. The title deeds often show who's responsible for maintaining the boundary, but that doesn't refer to upkeep of fences/hedges/whatever - that literally just means they're responsible for ensuring it's clear where the boundary is, which they could do with a string tied between some posts. If someone wants more than that, it's up to them to pay for it - and once installed, it's theirs to maintain. (Perfectly valid for BOTH sides to put up their own fence!) So if the neighbour is telling you the existing border feature belongs to your vendor, they're presumably right, and it'll become yours. On the plus side, that means it's entirely up to you what happens to/with it.
  • G_M wrote: »
    Are you doing the conveyancing yourself? If so, time to stop!
    Reference in the OP to "my solicitor" suggests no, fortunately.
  • davilown
    davilown Posts: 2,303
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    ThePants999 many thanks for your responses - just wanted to make sure I was missing anything from my own research.

Reference the fencing - that's fine as long as I know where I stand in quite happy to put new fencing up even with the cost as it saves any potential discussions with the neighbours

Cheers
    30th June 2021 completely debt free…. Downsized, reduced working hours and living the dream.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure