Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Bas1989
    • By Bas1989 10th Sep 17, 8:54 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Please help CCJ!
    • #1
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:54 PM
    Please help CCJ! 10th Sep 17 at 8:54 PM
    I have received a CCJ this week in the post from Northampton court from lowell, for what I think is a very account for 900.

    The account was in my name but was not used by me, was used and controlled by my ex partner who was extremely abusive and violent towards me. I left this partner two years ago and have an injunction against him and custody of my child. Due to the nature of the abuse I suffered, I have suffered with extreme mental health issues, I am on strong antidepressants and receiving therapy. Sounds silly but I have a really bad fear of opening mail.

    So my mail has been getting managed by my family. My uncle promised me he had sent a defence for this CCJ but I don't think this was the case.

    My question is, if I send a letter now do I have any chance in setting the CCJ aside or is it too late?!
Page 1
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 10th Sep 17, 11:17 PM
    • 12,455 Posts
    • 9,505 Thanks
    • #2
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:17 PM
    • #2
    • 10th Sep 17, 11:17 PM
    You can see whether your uncle sent in a defence. If it says in the top left hand corner 'judgement by default' he did not

    In order to set aside a ccj you need:

    a reason why you did not respond to the claim
    to act promptly
    a defence with a reasonable prospect of success

    you would apply on an n244. Good luck
  • National Debtline
    • #3
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:36 AM
    • #3
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:36 AM
    Hi Bas1989

    I!!!8217;m sorry to hear what has happened. Fatbelly is exactly right in his summary of the set aside. If you decide to go down this route I would also advise you to seek legal advice as you can incur further costs if your set aside, or subsequent defence, are not successful.

    If you admit to taking out the catalogue but only due to the abuse from ex partner this is called !!!8216;undue influence!!!8217;. It!!!8217;s a complicated area and you would need advice from someone legally trained on your chances of success at court. You can look online for possible free legal advice, google Law Centres and Law Clinics. Good luck.

    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 11th Sep 17, 11:29 AM
    • 14,580 Posts
    • 13,721 Thanks
    • #4
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:29 AM
    • #4
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:29 AM
    Lots of help, information, and legal advice available here, including details of the set aside procedure, the site is run by two solicitors, :
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to Any views are mine and not the official line of

    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see :
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,659Posts Today

8,791Users online

Martin's Twitter