Told cant have holiday

Comments

• I am (not) surprised by the rudeness on this board.
    Less than 10 posts downs and there are people digging up OP's posting history and giving a thorough dressing down.
    Why not just answer the question and add "by the way, ..."? This is what I do at work when asked stupid questions. If I respond like some here, I do not expect to keep my job for long!

To OP, at our workplace it is worse. If you do not put in your request early enough, you will not be able to take time off and will lose your holiday entitlement for the year.
    As others told you, there is no automatic right to getting time off, so check company policy and stay on good terms with your colleagues.
    Remember that the employer has right to cancel leave even after approving (please refer to a thread I started about 4y ago), so count yourself lucky that they are saying no now, rather than 2w before when you have tickets booked, etc.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Sometimes it doesn't matter how early you get your holiday request in ...

This June both me & my boss ended up on holiday for the same fortnight. Wasn't a major issue, we appointed a deputy, made sure everything was covered, nothing unexpected would come in, etc. Despite our preparation, on our return super-boss asked if we could avoid doing the same next year.

A month later, Monday morning, boss says "Can we talk about next year's holiday?" My response "Oh good, as we know which week we want, it's based around XYZ airshow ...." Bear in mind, this is 11 months away. It turns out that the airshow we want to visit, is the same date as his wife's *0th birthday - so we want the same weeks off again!
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Why can't you just ask for different dates?

If too many other people are off at that time, it makes sense that they are asking you to choose different dates.

If everyone is off at the same time, that isn't fair on the people who are left and have to pick up the slack. I prefer to work at places which have an organised approach to leave and don't let everybody go at the same time!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I am (not) surprised by the rudeness on this board.
    Less than 10 posts downs and there are people digging up OP's posting history and giving a thorough dressing down.
    Why not just answer the question and add "by the way, ..."? This is what I do at work when asked stupid questions. If I respond like some here, I do not expect to keep my job for long!

To OP, at our workplace it is worse. If you do not put in your request early enough, you will not be able to take time off and will lose your holiday entitlement for the year.
    As others told you, there is no automatic right to getting time off, so check company policy and stay on good terms with your colleagues.
    Remember that the employer has right to cancel leave even after approving (please refer to a thread I started about 4y ago), so count yourself lucky that they are saying no now, rather than 2w before when you have tickets booked, etc.

The OP has been given good advice before and I assume not been taken on board so why should advice be given again if the previous advice wasn't taken on board or something done about it.

• To OP, at our workplace it is worse. If you do not put in your request early enough, you will not be able to take time off and will lose your holiday entitlement for the year.

your company is behaving illegally - you are ENTITLED to your holiday and thus must be allowed to take it. If your employer wants to cancel your holiday, they must give at least as much notice as the length of the leave. And the gov.uk site is VERY clear - 'Although employers can refuse to give leave at a certain time, they can’t refuse to let workers take the leave at all.'
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The company my husband works for has a holiday chart for each department with a limited number of allowances on popular dates ie school holidays.

It's first come first served, but some like us, are happy to take dates out of peak times as our 'children' are adults.
  • polgara
    polgara Posts: 500 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 September 2017 at 10:40AM
    your company is behaving illegally - you are ENTITLED to your holiday and thus must be allowed to take it. If your employer wants to cancel your holiday, they must give at least as much notice as the length of the leave. And the gov.uk site is VERY clear - 'Although employers can refuse to give leave at a certain time, they can’t refuse to let workers take the leave at all.'

I can't see anything unlawful - unless they are saying you can't use your holiday leave, which isn't the same as saying 'you can't have those days'. As others have said they need to ask when they can have the leave.
  • polgara wrote: »
    I can't see anything unlawful - unless they are saying you can't use your holiday leave, which isn't the same as saying 'you can't have those days'. As others have said they need to ask when they can have the leave.

jobbingmusician's reply was to HardCoreProgrammer
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    OP, it is frustrating, but as others have said, they are entitled to say no, and most employers will have limits on how many people can be off at once.

Is there any kind of office calendar so you can see when time is available? In my job, we have a calendar on the intranet where you can check, before making a holiday request, who is out on the dates you want, so that you can see whether the time is available and if it clashes, you can then address that when you make your request (for instance, I recently had a long weekend which overlapped with the friday of my colleague's week-long holiday. Normally we would not have the same time off but on this occasion I worked round it by making sure that my, and her, assistant had contact details for me and could get in touch if anything urgent came up. (had I booked my time first, I would have been willing to allow her to take the week off if she had been willing to be the emergency contact and to be available to access and respond to phone calls and e-mail if need be)

OP, if this is a recurring issue then check with your manager how far in advnace you are allowed to book time off and book earlier.

I currently have some days booked off as far ahead as next July, because there are specific events I wish to attend so it's crucial to book early. We have a 'first come, first served' system.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 September 2017 at 1:20PM
    At my work we have a board and only one of us 5 can be off at the same time. First come basis. Unless it is holiday season. Like the 6 weeks for childrens holiday. Being told no for one holiday is disappointing but not uncomment.

Put in 3 different times and see how you get on. I dont agree a company can tell you when to take all your holiday. What if they wanted to give you 2 weeks in Nov and 2 in Jan. That said.....maybe I just work for a company with decent T&C.

Where I work you have to get it approved. If the board is booked I don't bother. The key is to be organised to be honest. If no one is off but they are short staffed with sickness of vacationers say. Thats they problem where I work and the Union would jump all over them.

However like I have said, I work for a decent company.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure