Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • donnaf30
    • By donnaf30 9th Sep 17, 11:44 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 1Thanks
    tax help after being on JSA and then new job
    • #1
    • 9th Sep 17, 11:44 AM
    tax help after being on JSA and then new job 9th Sep 17 at 11:44 AM
    I was made redundant end of June 2017
    On JSA during July 2017
    New Job August onwards

    I have submitted my P45 from my previous employer to new employer
    I have also submitted my P45 from DWP after I signed off

    First pay packet on emergency tax code but probably to be expected

    Logged onto the tax on-line portal

    Expected Income for the year includes a figure of 15000 for JSA benefit ...!
    only got 3 weeks JSA so approx 200 so not sure what the hell this 15000 for JSA is ?

    The rest of expected income is correct for previous & current employer but have no idea regarding the JSA figure

    I would have thought the P45 I submitted feom DWP would have sorted this and the 15k must be a computer error ?

    Any help / comments appreciated

    Thanks Donna
    Last edited by donnaf30; 09-09-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Page 1
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 9th Sep 17, 12:00 PM
    • 2,708 Posts
    • 1,309 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • #2
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:00 PM
    • #2
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:00 PM
    Don't know about the 15k but you really should have given the first P45 to DWP and then the DWP P45 would have been cumulative and correct for your new job.

    You would have got a tax refund as well probably when you signed off JSA had you given them the original P45 (assuming you had paid some tax at original job of course).

    By emergency tax code do you mean 1150L?

    All you need to do probably is let HMRC know your actual JSA amount and they can then issue an upto tax code to your new employer with your previous pay and JSA details on.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 9th Sep 17, 12:08 PM
    • 25,774 Posts
    • 15,229 Thanks
    • #3
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:08 PM
    • #3
    • 9th Sep 17, 12:08 PM

    Give HMRC a ring shortly before 8am.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,054Posts Today

5,157Users online

Martin's Twitter