PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

does this mean i cannot erect a sky dish on the front of my house....

i have 2 restrictive covenants that im in doubt of as i will be having sky fitted i need to know where i stand.

1-not to keep or place or permit to be kept or placed any building or erection on the property in front of the building line

2-not to erect any satellite dish larger than 600mm on any part of the property and not to erect or permit to be erected any motorised ground mounted satellite dish

i remember my solicitor (who is in with jelsons somehow) telling me im not allowed to erect one on the front of the house but i cannot see that those covenants tell me that.

ive rang sales @ jelsons and all she said was that people might complain but she didnt say i couldnt.

opinions please

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Can't see a problem there. It's not an "erection". Check whether planning is an issue though.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,675
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    A sky dish is no larger than 600mm so is already exempted from that covenant.
  • Not infallible, but does anyone else have one at the front? If there are none, it probably means it's not allowed - or it means that everyone else has just accepted that they can't without pushing for it.

Do you know that it needs to go at the front? I'm guessing you would be allowed to put one smaller than 600mm on the roof as that would not be 'in front of the building line'. I've always taken covenants like this to mean you can't build a porch or suchlike, but I agree it's ambiguous when it comes to satellite dishes.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904
    First Post
    Forumite
    But someone has to enforce the covenant so why not put it up and see who squeaks?
  • i have 2 restrictive covenants that im in doubt of as i will be having sky fitted i need to know where i stand.

1-not to keep or place or permit to be kept or placed any building or erection on the property in front of the building line

2-not to erect any satellite dish larger than 600mm on any part of the property and not to erect or permit to be erected any motorised ground mounted satellite dish

i remember my solicitor (who is in with jelsons somehow) telling me im not allowed to erect one on the front of the house but i cannot see that those covenants tell me that.

ive rang sales @ jelsons and all she said was that people might complain but she didnt say i couldnt.

opinions please

I know someone who used to live in a house with a similar covenant, they weren't allowed to fit a dish to the front of the house but a dish mounted on a pole (not motorised, just a standard Sky dish) in the back garden was permitted.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430
    Forumite
    I've got my Sky dish on a pole on the back of the house. Works just fine and, aesthetically, it's better as you can't see it.

Could you not do this to save any possible hassle.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Not infallible, but does anyone else have one at the front? If there are none, it probably means it's not allowed - or it means that everyone else has just accepted that they can't without pushing for it.

Do you know that it needs to go at the front? I'm guessing you would be allowed to put one smaller than 600mm on the roof as that would not be 'in front of the building line'. I've always taken covenants like this to mean you can't build a porch or suchlike, but I agree it's ambiguous when it comes to satellite dishes.

Nowadays, Sky installers don't like going higher than the first floor, so a roof installation would probably cost more on health and safety grounds.

Whether a Sky dish goes on the front, back or side depends on the direction needed to access a clear signal from the satellite .

In our road ,the houses opposite and behind us, have them on the front, but on our side they are at the back. Bungalows on the road from ours to the one behind have theirs on the side, so they point in the same direction as the others.
  • teddysmum wrote: »
    Whether a Sky dish goes on the front, back or side depends on the direction needed to access a clear signal from the satellite .

The Sky satellite is quite high up in the sky - so barring other obstacles (e.g. others buildings or trees or excessively steep roof) it is generally sufficient for the dish to be "just peeping over the eaves" to get a signal.

You can usually mount a dish on either side of the house.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,870
    Forumite
    If you go down the 'see who squeaks..' route, bear in mind the first notice you get could be a solicitors letter telling you you're breaking the rules...and charging you for the letter.

What about on a chimney?
  • soulsaver wrote: »
    If you go down the 'see who squeaks..' route, bear in mind the first notice you get could be a solicitors letter telling you you're breaking the rules...and charging you for the letter.
    They can't "charge" you for the letter. They can demand you pay something. You can say no. It won't go any further given they know they wouldn't have a leg to stand on legally, as long as you moved the dish as requested.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure