Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • KellyMM
    • By KellyMM 6th Sep 17, 8:08 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 3Thanks
    SOA help
    • #1
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:08 PM
    SOA help 6th Sep 17 at 8:08 PM
    Hello everyone. Forum lurker here, now looking for advice.

    I went BR in May and haven't been working. I have now moved to another EU country and been offered a job. I obviously need to inform the OR so I am preparing a new SOA. I am not currently paying an IPA and am keen to avoid as I will be on a low income anyway.

    Specifically, what I would like to know is:

    1. Are the figures fair? The big ones are true figures but I have added allowances for things like emergency fund and healthcare etc which I hope I will not need but, from reading the forum, I seem to be able to add.

    2. Does it matter that my income after tax will be less than the total expenses (of course I intend to spend less than these figures to even it up).

    3. I am renting a room from a friend. I do not have a contract to send to the OR. Is this ok? I do not want my friend to find out about the BR.

    4. I have opened a bank account in my new country. Will the OR write to them and potentially have it closed down? :/

    Thanks! x


    Rent+bills 400
    Dentist/healthcare 25
    Opticians 25
    Food 130
    Toiletries 43
    Bus 78
    Clothing 50
    Hairdressing 25
    Mobile prepay 20
    Holiday fund 20
    Presents 10
    Emergency fund 10
    Total 836.

    I've converted the figs into from local currency. My income will be approx 715 per month.
Page 1
    • KellyMM
    • By KellyMM 9th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    • #2
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    • #2
    • 9th Sep 17, 9:42 AM
    Can anyone help please?
    • ToxtethO'Grady
    • By ToxtethO'Grady 9th Sep 17, 2:07 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    • #3
    • 9th Sep 17, 2:07 PM
    • #3
    • 9th Sep 17, 2:07 PM
    1. You have to advise the OR of the changes but if your budget is balanced you won't have to pay an IPA so why over-egg your budget?

    Also if the OR feels it requires investigation they have reciprocal agreements with the majority of EU countries except Denmark - the country you are in may have much more stringent rules and regulation for their trustees to follow so just be honest with your balanced budget. If things are essential they're essential.

    2. 1 has answered that.

    3. The OR will tell you what they want for proof, they might not want it they might want an agreement sent to them. It's on an individual basis and please remember about the reciprocal arrangement between countries as some have to declare to other official bodies. I feel asking the OR what they want as proof is the best way to go and then seeing if you can do that.

    Is the rent and bills reasonable for that area? Are there cheaper places nearby? Think of these questions if the answer is yes to the first question and no to the second it may not even be an issue.

    4. It's only accounts at the start of the bankruptcy if you can show ewhen it was opened and what's gone in and out it should be ok. As above though if it's passed to the trustee in that country there may be different rules so seek advice in the country you're in.

    I've answered in a very general way as I don't know the country you're in or your full situation. I think you're worrying about an IPA too much when there's no need to.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,693Posts Today

9,417Users online

Martin's Twitter