Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SuperPikachu
    • By SuperPikachu 6th Sep 17, 10:00 AM
    • 127Posts
    • 166Thanks
    SuperPikachu
    Any Treadmill advice?
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:00 AM
    Any Treadmill advice? 6th Sep 17 at 10:00 AM
    Hello all,

I have wanted a treadmill for ages. I don't like paying for gym memberships (just a personal thing) and hate the idea of jogging about outside so prefer to work out in my own home.

I did a little search and found a thread from 2009 but nothing else is jumping out of the search box since.

----------

Are there any good recommendations for a robust folding treadmill at a decent price?

I would think my budget is up to 600, although I'd prefer to spend less.

It is just so much money for these kind of things that I wanted to ask you lot first
    Last edited by SuperPikachu; 06-09-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Page 2
    • trickydicky14
    • By trickydicky14 10th Jul 18, 10:26 AM
    • 171 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    trickydicky14
    I agree, indoor treadmills are so boring . Instead of jogging, try speed walking. Fast walking at around 4.5 to 5 mphs is every bit as a work -out as slow jogging without looking quite so stupid and you do not need to be decked out in a silly jogging uniform along with the obligatory fashion statement sunglasses, headphones and a bottle of water ..

I am going to compare speed walk ( some call it power walking ) v jogging v cycling with my heart rate monitor hooked up just to compare the work load. I know after an hours speed walking I feel as knackered as I would jogging or steady cycling.

Speed walking is certainly easier on the knees and ankle joints being a much more natural form of exercise

House Martin,
    I applaud your fitness regime and wish more would follow your example. I am sure speed walking is an excellent way to stay fit but only one way of many and I believe cross training to be very important (combining several sports)
    Obviously you are keen to promote speed walking but I do think you talk a load of tosh when you describe other activities.
    Firstly I do not think your heart rate monitor test would prove overly scientific and the difference in heart rate is too small to be of any significance in a real study plus who can say the conditions and your effort are constant whilst doing these activities.
    Secondly I like to go for a run and I do not fit your stereo type runner. All I need is a pair of shorts and a t shirt and a good pair of shoes much the same if I go for a walk. I do not need expensive kit I do not have headphones as I like to listen to nature around me and I do not wear any fashion statements. I do often carry water which I would also do on a long walk. You should stay hydrated whatever activity you do.
    Thirdly you talk about speed walking being a much more natural form of exercise well our ancestors would regularly run at a steady pace for huge distances to wear down animals before killing them for food unfortunately people have just become much more sedentary and are now paying the price.
    You also talk about knees and ankle joints well firstly I would advise people who wish to run to do it off road do cross country or fell running or trail running. These are all much kinder to your body and you get to see much more pleasant surroundings then running on pavements lastly cycling is recommended by most health professionals as an excellent activity and better for knees and joints then most sports or activities.
    So yes keep on speed walking if that is your thing but please do not be so blinkered we have so many choices to improve our fitness and mental wellbeing.
    I do agree with you 100% regarding tread mills get rid of the bloody things.
    • danearle
    • By danearle 21st Jul 18, 6:32 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    danearle
    Treadmill buyers guide
    treadmill buyers guides are worth checking out as they have all the info you need on buying the right one for your budget and needs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,576Posts Today

7,281Users online

Martin's Twitter