Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Jacob Ress Mogg - next PM?

Comments

• Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Herzlos wrote: »
    I think he's quite likely to be next. He seems to be regarded as a likable scamp despite being an abhorrent example of the establishment that people are railing against.

He's got some personality, so he's already better than May.

The members love him so if he got to the last 2 in a leadership contest he would probably make it, but I have my doubts as to how big a following he has in the parliamentary party, and the knowledge that he would do well if he makes it to the last 2 gives the MPs a fair incentive to block him getting that far.

We'll see how he gets on if he gets a front bench position anyway, if he does well there he may gain more of a following from MPs
  • I like the fact that he makes the effort to actually answer questions. This shouldn't be a rare and special talent though; and it says a lot about us that we don't demand it from all MPs.

I don't agree with a lot of his views and couldn't see myself ever voting for him but I do have a degree of respect for him for the above.

Like a lot of Tory MPs (and some Labour MPs to be fair) he does come from a wealthy, privileged background but at least he doesn't attempt to play down the fact in a clumsy attempt to come across as a 'man of the people' like Cameron did.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    stator wrote: »
    Labour would love it if Theresa May was replaced with JRM.
    He's the architypal toff tory and would galvanise a lot of people against the Conservatives.

In the way Jeremy has galvanised most people away from Labour.

Swings and roundabouts....
  • Fella
    Fella Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    JRM could well have the opposite effect & make some people realise that "rich" isn't a dirty word. He's famously polite, never raises his voice or get's abusive, knows the process of politics inside-out and isn't afraid to answer questions with something that isn't just a soundbite he's been told to repeat by a spin-doctor.

In addition he's exceptionally clever & well-educated to boot. No wonder he scares the pants off of those who oppose him.

Having said all of that I don't think there's any chance he'll ever run the Tory party, more's the pity.
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Likeable chap (even for someone who disagrees with him on most things) but surely his opposition to abortion and gay marriage rules him out.
  • economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    andrewf75 wrote: »
    Likeable chap (even for someone who disagrees with him on most things) but surely his opposition to abortion and gay marriage rules him out.

on gay marriage - i am not sure what he is saying exactly by being against it but i wouldnt agree on him if he was completly agaisnt it. but i would agree if he was only against gay marriage under christian marriage ceromony.

on abortion - i disagree with him as well on this but only upto a certain point: there should be a very tight time limit for abortion to be allowed after whihc it should be illegal.

but on the whole even regarding the abvoe two points, he is by far the best politician (only?) and the only politician i would trust.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post

I can't see him introducing any laws to abolish this, he is just being honest and saying I don't think this is right, could that be said of all the other MPs that say that they are in favour? Wouldn't it be refreshing to have a PM that didn't flim flam over everything?
  • andrewf75
    It would be refreshing in the same way Corbyn is. They are very similar in that sense, honest and principled, but a big turn off for the centre ground!
  • economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    It would be refreshing in the same way Corbyn is. They are very similar in that sense, honest and principled, but a big turn off for the centre ground!

No. they are VERY different in their political views. and thats all that matters.

and i dont think corbyn is principled at all.
  • andrewf75
    Maybe with Rees Mogg leading the Tories and Corbyn leading Labour, the time will come for a sensible centre ground party to rise up in the way of Macron in France. Our politics needs a shake up from the old two party system especially given that there is more difference within both parties than between the mainstream of both.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure