Skip left on my property

Comments

• ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Order a small load of Readymix and put it in the skip!
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Lots of silly advice

I suggest writing a letter to the skip hire company. Then if they fail to do so, take them to court.

Do you have legal cover on your home insurance?
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Thanks everyone, lots of ideas (some better than others! ;-p )
    Think ill go down the letter route and see if i can take them to small claims court. Probably means another 6 months of a skip on my drive :(
  • Just something to be wary of when pursuing the skip company: http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/2188563.skips_contents_emptied_over_garden/
    A witty saying proves nothing
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    SkipWoes wrote: »
    ....They left a skip they hired on my property and filled it with rubbish from other jobs.

I think it might be worth exploring the legality of this. The builder is taking business waste from one site and depositing it in a skip at another site (not his depot).

I don't know the rules that well, but I understand he would need a waste carriers licence. There is also an obligation on him to dispose of his waste appropriately. Dumping it in a skip on private land owned by a third party - arguably without permission - doesn't sound like it would comply with the obligations he has.

It might be useful to explore the Environment Agency website to get a better idea of the law.

It shouldn't need saying, but for the benefit of anyone reading the thread in future and thinking the suggestion of dumping the waste in the road is a good one, then don't. You would be committing a criminal offence and making yourself liable to severe penalties. It would also not be difficult for the enforcement authorities to put 2 and 2 together to realise the flytipped waste had come from the skip on your property. ...Assuming that is your neighbours weren't the ones who already reported you for antisocial and illegal behaviour.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    You local council may be able to help exert pressure on this tradesman?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Careful empty the skip and then move skip to the highway then refill.

Or empty into another skip get that carted away then sell the empty skip to cover your costs.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    MX5huggy wrote: »
    Or empty into another skip get that carted away then sell the empty skip to cover your costs.

(a) Who is going to buy a second hand skip which is obviously someone else's property?

(b) It is illegal to sell something which doesn't belong to you.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    EachPenny wrote: »
    There is also an obligation on him to dispose of his waste appropriately. Dumping it in a skip on private land owned by a third party - arguably without permission - doesn't sound like it would comply with the obligations he has.

The OP may well be able to get the council to pursue it as a case of fly tipping if waste is being dumped from another site. Certainly one avenue worth exploring.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    MX5huggy wrote: »
    Careful empty the skip and then move skip to the highway then refill.

Enough silly ideas on this thread already
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure