Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 4th Sep 17, 6:39 AM
    • 6,881Posts
    • 40,371Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 4 September
    • 4th Sep 17, 6:39 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 4 September 4th Sep 17 at 6:39 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 4 September
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
Page 5
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 10th Sep 17, 10:56 AM
    • 1,607 Posts
    • 12,317 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    My dentist told me I looked like Nanny McPhee
    Originally posted by princess_pea
    Your dentist is a cheeky £$%^

I'm sure that he is a veritable Adonis

I'm also sure that you are very beautiful just as you are. Clearly your hubby thinks so.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 10th Sep 17, 11:11 AM
    • 5,097 Posts
    • 40,288 Thanks
    DawnW
    Congrats on the weight loss 1LL, I really need to get my act together on this

Dawn/DNMS,
    I've been thinking quite a lot about the Challenge & why NSDs don't seem to be much of a motivator for me on the money-saving front.
    F x
    Originally posted by foxgloves
    Me neither Foxgloves, I have a list of things we need / that need replacing, and if I see one at a bargain price, I am going to buy it, so long as I have the money for it and it doesn't leave us short. Most of said items cost under £5 secondhand, but would cost far more bought new at full price I bought a dress (unworn) a pair of boots (unworn) and a top (has been worn but in v. good condition) for £4.40 this morning at a car boot sale

I think I am probably stricter than most as to what constitutes a NSD. For me it is when nothing is spent at all apart from the direct debit bills going out. Like you, I am finding the challenge useful to focus, as we have run down our savings quite a bit this year too.

Popped to the cinema with DD £2.50 at our local cinema, compared with £11.50 at the multiplex. Two people parking drinks and Sweets all for under tenner and supported a local business too.
    Originally posted by Lottebear
    Amazing cinema prices Lottebear

Anyway, beside all this, todays plans:
    Good dog walk first thing, he got a move on for a change
    The chilled food seller was at the boot sale again this morning, and I managed to get 3 nice gammon joints for £10. Now to play freezer tetris trying to fit them in This business sells cheeses, bacon, pies, sausages etc at all the local markets etc, good quality, spotlessly clean chilled van and good prices, so although I don't buy the pies and ready meal type things, it is always worth checking out the cheeses, bacon etc He often throws in a freebie too - the gammon joints were nominally £6 each or 2 for £10, but he gave us an extra for free, as he thought the ones we had chosen were a bit smaller than some of the others

HM meals - soup for lunch and chicken for dinner
    Water greenhouse - I have salad leaves and soft herbs such as coriander and basil in my tiny one
    Pick raspberries, blueberries and French beans
    Squish more caterpillars on my poor kale plants
    Ought to think about some housework
    Check for surveys

Hope everyone has a good day
    July NSDs - 3 / 13
    Groceries, toiletries, cleaning supplies and pet supplies - £132.12 / £250.00
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 10th Sep 17, 11:35 AM
    • 1,607 Posts
    • 12,317 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Hi folks! C'est moi. Back from a long time away.

I have missed catching up with you all but I just find it hard to log in every day, then I miss stuff and wish I hadn't. Life has been very hectic as usual and I'm still suffering from the dizzy spells that started at the beginning of the year, which kinda sucks.

I'm also trying to look after myself more after having to take time off work with stress, and then moving straight back into extended hour days. It's not a good thing for anyone, and I have decided that I'm not interested in living my life like this. I've got a couple of thoughts and plans up my sleeve though. When my line manager is back, I want to discuss dropping one day a week (but moving the hours to other days). I am also trying not to put too much pressure onto myself to get too much done. I tend to make very long lists and then either knacker myself doing them or get frustrated that I can't do everything in one day

I feel a bit of a fraud being on a thread that encourages you to cut down on your spending because ours just goes up and up. You would all be horrified if you saw my grocery budget all this saving the planet malarkey comes at a price apparently... also OH eats loads now (which is great). He's put on loads of muscle and lost fat... he looks amazing. But I have to keep him in protein. If anyone has any cheap, high protein recipes, you have an avid listener.

Having said that, we are coming to the end of the survey season at work and so my brain can be freed up for other things. I'm already thinking about meal plans, budgets and ebay.

Enough of my rambling. Today's list:
    • All meals from plan
    • Log calories in free mfp app
    • Check what meal prep needs to be done for tomorrow.
    • Charge phone in work -done
    • Reconcile budget sheet
    • Ordered some very thick weatherstrip on the hopes of reducing the draught through the front door this winter (you can actually see daylight around our front door...) I've never found any thick enough but this might do the job. -done
    • Treat ourselves to a drink at our fave cafe (if OH not too sleepy - he's had lots of gigs this weekend). money from planned fun fund spends. This is a regular Sunday thing which we both enjoy
    • Free mindfulness app this evening (part of my self-care plan)
    • Poss free stretching video (I find this hard to do when OH is about)
    • Poss some crochet. I am currently working on the Sunshine and Showers crochet-along. It's a gorgeous sampler blanket, You get a piece of the pattern each month but I am behind (sitting forward can make me feel dizzy). I am almost half caught up with August. September should be revealed sometime about now.
    Hope you have a lovely day all. It's pretty grim weather here, but still preferable to the insane heat we had earlier in the summer!

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 10-09-2017 at 2:26 PM.

• FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 10th Sep 17, 11:52 AM
    • 5,120 Posts
    • 20,658 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Hello all, a late start for me today as I had a lie in.

After a whole nine days off parts of the house are still looking a bit chaotic and there are still things I haven't done but, all in all, I am pleased with the stuff I *have* got done.

I set up the computer/printer etc on the new desk in the wee small hours, it looks lovely and I have so much space to work and do the crafting element of the cards. I've put back all the furniture but I still have random stuff (in just about every room) hanging around waiting to be sold but it's not light enough for good pics today. Maybe I'll just round it all up and put it in one place.

I've had a little flurry of bids on one thing on eBay so at least I know that will sell.

I want to sort through my filing cabinet today, I think I need to be ruthless. When I was feeling overwhelmed by it all I bought a concertina file and started afresh with just recent stuff in it, this was about three years ago now so I reckon a lot of the other stuff can go now!

A visit to my mum is in order, I'm planning to do that mid afternoon so I can be back in time for the YS sandwiches. The place I'm working in tomorrow is in the midst of regeneration and is apparently like a building site so no supermarkets nearby if I don't take lunch and snacks. I'm really not looking forward to it, they 'hot desk' also which I'm going to hate but it's another weeks money in the coffers before I start on the new venture.

Lunch will probably be quiche and I may do a roast dinner tonight, I have everything in for it already.

Have a good day, all
    Last edited by FatVonD; 10-09-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 10th Sep 17, 12:15 PM
    • 5,097 Posts
    • 40,288 Thanks
    DawnW
    Welcome back CLF
    Sorry to hear you have had health problems. Hope your idea of dropping a day comes off

Poss free stretching video (I find this hard to do when OH is about)
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    Is this because he would laugh? I know mine would!
    July NSDs - 3 / 13
    Groceries, toiletries, cleaning supplies and pet supplies - £132.12 / £250.00
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 10th Sep 17, 12:24 PM
    • 1,607 Posts
    • 12,317 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Welcome back CLF
    Sorry to hear you have had health problems. Hope your idea of dropping a day comes off

Is this because he would laugh? I know mine would!
    Originally posted by DawnW

Thanks Dawn!

No... he does join in sometimes but (and this will sound silly I know) but we get so little time together, I feel kinda bad if I go off to do something without him
    Having said that, it's never stopped him from having 2 hour long bubble baths on my days off, so maybe I should just go for it

• allydowd
    • By allydowd 10th Sep 17, 1:31 PM
    • 4,178 Posts
    • 26,823 Thanks
    allydowd

We just paid a holding deposit on a flat!
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £50

Bold Bicycle Bonanza: 103.49 km
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 10th Sep 17, 2:24 PM
    • 6,881 Posts
    • 40,371 Thanks
    determined new ms

We just paid a holding deposit on a flat!
    Originally posted by allydowd
    congratulations
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 10th Sep 17, 5:22 PM
    • 4,143 Posts
    • 21,504 Thanks
    foxgloves
    My post has been eaten.
    F
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £264
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

72Posts Today

1,438Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bbcthehour: "Mental health and debt is a marriage made in hell" @MartinSLewis told the Senedd when people are more vulnerable they're m?

• RT @justindeaville: @MartinSLewis I looked it up when we last went. It's ball speed. And it's about O.3 seconds to cross the court. @Martin?

• Amazing how empty the #Wimbledon court is for the mixed doubles even though there's a Brit playing. The bars outside are rammed though

• Follow Martin