Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 1st Sep 17, 8:20 PM
    • 3,398Posts
    • 4,972Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    How much to renovate a room?
    • 1st Sep 17, 8:20 PM
    How much to renovate a room? 1st Sep 17 at 8:20 PM
    Looking at renovating one of my rooms. Problem seems to be that whereas you at kitchen and bathroom fitters, trying to find a company that will deal with just room seems non existent!

This is what im looking for:

1) Two additional double plug sockets added
    2) One double socket I current have seems to be built into a false wall (plyboard). Looking to get the plyboard removed and that socket put into the wall behind.
    3) After the false wall has been removed, skim of all walls and the ceiling
    4) The fuse box is in the room, in the corner, looking to have a cover made to hide this.
    5) Current have one light in the center of the room - Change this to an in-ceiling spotlight and install 4 additional ones (like the 5 on a dice)...Only if this can be done without having to remove the floor in the room above.

The room size is 3.73m x 3.45m

As I can't seem to find someone to organise this, would it be a case of getting a plasterer and electrician to give a quote and just liaise amongst the two who does what first?

Any ideas what kind of figure I should have in mind for all this work?
Page 1
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 2nd Sep 17, 12:16 AM
    • 1,627 Posts
    • 2,404 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 2nd Sep 17, 12:16 AM
    • 2nd Sep 17, 12:16 AM
    Unless you go knocking big holes in the ceiling, some of the floorboards above will need to be lifted in order to install downlights/spots. The cables will need to be passed through joists, so the boards have to come up in order to drill the holes.

The electrician will need to do "first fix" with the cables, back boxes, and lights. Then the plasterer can come in and do his bit. The consumer unit (fuse box) cover will need the attention of a carpenter or handyman - Possibly something the plasterer or electrician could do depending on the finish you want.

A budget of 1,000 (give or take a bit) should cover it including the decorating.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 2nd Sep 17, 9:13 AM
    • 3,398 Posts
    • 4,972 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    • 2nd Sep 17, 9:13 AM
    • 2nd Sep 17, 9:13 AM
    Unless you go knocking big holes in the ceiling, some of the floorboards above will need to be lifted in order to install downlights/spots. The cables will need to be passed through joists, so the boards have to come up in order to drill the holes.

The electrician will need to do "first fix" with the cables, back boxes, and lights. Then the plasterer can come in and do his bit. The consumer unit (fuse box) cover will need the attention of a carpenter or handyman - Possibly something the plasterer or electrician could do depending on the finish you want.

A budget of 1,000 (give or take a bit) should cover it including the decorating.
    Originally posted by FreeBear

That's great, thanks for your reply.

1000 is roughly the figure I had in my head! As for the lights, think I will give them a miss as don't want to take the floor upstairs up!
    • owitemisermusa
    • By owitemisermusa 2nd Sep 17, 10:35 AM
    • 934 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    owitemisermusa
    • 2nd Sep 17, 10:35 AM
    • 2nd Sep 17, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by FreeBear
    FreeBear, just want to say thank you for this post. Believe it or not, I had a row with a builder regarding the definition of first fix. They thought that pulling a cable into a room was it! I had to fight to get backboxes, lights etc.

Nice to know I wasn't crazy/unreasonable!
    Tough times never last longer than tough people.
    • armchaireconomist
    • By armchaireconomist 4th Sep 17, 9:49 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    armchaireconomist
    • 4th Sep 17, 9:49 AM
    • 4th Sep 17, 9:49 AM
    Or you could call a local sole trader electrician, joiner, plasterer and painter/decorator and organise the work yourself. You'll probably find you get a better finish for less money,
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 15th Apr 18, 10:14 PM
    • 3,398 Posts
    • 4,972 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:14 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:14 PM
    Hi again! Just got a quote through and wondered on what you think of the price.

room on bottom floor.
    Two wall lights installed (lights to be supplied). Cabinet over electric box, new doors on under stairs and coal room. Install the 5 spot lights, install 3 double sockets. Rip down and board ceiling and back wall. Plaster throughout and lay flooring supplied by customer.

Electrics 500
    Materials 450
    Labour 600
    Total 1,550

This room can be painted for 200
    This would include satin on all wood and white emulsion for ceiling. Wall colour would need to be supplied.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,250Posts Today

7,858Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin