Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 31st Aug 17, 2:58 PM
    • 3,256Posts
    • 1,915Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    Red cedar UV protection
    • 31st Aug 17, 2:58 PM
    Red cedar UV protection 31st Aug 17 at 2:58 PM
    My garden office is being installed at the end of September. The two visible sides facing the garden will be clad in western red cedar. The outer sides will be european redwood.

The supplier recommends treating the cedar within a month of installation if I want to protect and preserve the colour. Alternatively I could just let it silver naturally but I'm aware that red cedar will go patchy and take many years before its a nice uniform silver colour.

I'd prefer to maintain the colour for as long as possible with the minimum of maintenance so can anyone recommend a specific product? I'm looking at Osmo UV protection oil which claims to greatly slow the silvering process for up to 4 years with a single application:

http://www.osmouk.com/sitechaptern.cfm?bookid=Products&chapter=82&page=2 62

However it claims you need to wait 12 weeks before you apply it - I'm not sure why and would have thought the UV damage would have been done in this time.

Silvatimber, who are a supplier of cedar cladding, recommend Sansin SDF with a claim that it lasts 3-6 years. It's very expensive but I have no problem paying for it if it does the job but I don't really want to change the colour of the timber.

https://www.silvatimber.co.uk/wood-care/sansin-sdf-wood-finish.html

Is there anything else somebody can recommend?
    Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 31-08-2017 at 3:02 PM.
Page 1
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 31st Aug 17, 3:38 PM
    • 3,256 Posts
    • 1,915 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 31st Aug 17, 3:38 PM
    • 31st Aug 17, 3:38 PM
    I may be answering my own question here but it looks like the Osmo oil (clear satin) is the right option.

Apparently it needs 6-12 weeks to weather slightly so the pores of the wood open up - if it fades a small amount in that time the oil will restore it slightly and protect it for several years.

Has anyone got any experience with this on cedar?
    • PrinnyPree
    • By PrinnyPree 9th Apr 18, 8:40 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    PrinnyPree
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:40 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 8:40 PM
    Hi I'm looking to build a cedar garden office in June I'd love to hear any of your tips. I'm also getting my cladding through silvatimber, sorry that you didn't get any answers to your initial questions. Hope the build went well, how did it fair during the winter months?
    • john.h
    • By john.h 9th Apr 18, 9:45 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    john.h
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:45 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 9:45 PM
    I made my fence from western red cedar from Silvatimber. I coated it as soon as I put it up with Osmo uv protection oil. Itís now been up around 2.5 years and it has stayed its original colour.
    I would post a pic but donít know how to

John..
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 10th Apr 18, 12:41 AM
    • 3,256 Posts
    • 1,915 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:41 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:41 AM
    I used this in the end as it was suitable for both the cladding and decking whereas the Osmo isn!!!8217;t suitable for decking.

https://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/product/manns-premier-uv-decking-oil

It!!!8217;s been 6 months so far. There has been some mild fading down of the south facing side but it!!!8217;s mainly retained its colour. The east facing side shows no fading at all. Still got summer to go yet. I!!!8217;m not convinced these products will prevent fading or silvering completely but will just slow it down. I will give it a topup coat in Autumn.

I!!!8217;ll post some photos later.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

86Posts Today

1,663Users online

Martin's Twitter